Jump to content
readefries

TLS support for SMTP host for spam submission

Recommended Posts

Hey there,

I wanted to send spam reports via mail, but due the the lack of TLS of the receiving mailhost of Spamcop this gets bounced.

I was really surprised to see, that Spamcop doesn't support TLS on their mailserver. Can you please enable TLS support, so I can securely forward spam mails? For almost al MTA's this is just a configuration.

 

Thanks in advance :)

 

Cheers, Hindrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my zeal this post was incorrectly deleted. My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, readefries said:

I wanted to send spam reports via mail, but due the the lack of TLS of the receiving mailhost of Spamcop this gets bounced.

Probably would be a good feature to have.  Is your system not capable of sending without SMTP encryption?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can, but it's my provider disabled it by default, in favour of mail security. Which I completely understand. I just was very surprised that Spamcop doesn't use TLS, which IMHO is the defacto standard of sending e-mail these days. Unless you are a spammer and want to spoof stuff in your mail headers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 7:19 AM, readefries said:

Hey there,

I wanted to send spam reports via mail, but due the the lack of TLS of the receiving mailhost of Spamcop this gets bounced.

I was really surprised to see, that Spamcop doesn't support TLS on their mailserver. Can you please enable TLS support, so I can securely forward spam mails? For almost al MTA's this is just a configuration.

 

Thanks in advance :)

 

Cheers, Hindrik

I think that you could send a message to Spamcop in order to describe this issue and get it solved quickly. A friend of mine did it a couple of months ago and it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry Adams said:

I think that you could send a message to Spamcop in order to describe this issue and get it solved quickly. A friend of mine did it a couple of months ago and it worked.

Yeah, probably a good idea to send the link to this forum to the deputies at deputies[at]admin[dot[spamcop[dot]net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 7:19 AM, readefries said:

Hey there,

I wanted to send spam reports via mail, but due the the lack of TLS of the receiving mailhost of Spamcop this gets bounced.

I was really surprised to see, that Spamcop doesn't support TLS on their mailserver. Can you please enable TLS support, so I can securely forward spam mails? For almost al MTA's this is just a configuration.

 

Thanks in advance :)

 

Cheers, Hindrik

 

On 3/19/2021 at 1:15 AM, readefries said:

It can, but it's my provider disabled it by default, in favour of mail security. Which I completely understand. I just was very surprised that Spamcop doesn't use TLS, which IMHO is the defacto standard of sending e-mail these days. Unless you are a spammer and want to spoof stuff in your mail headers :)

Agree. Spamcop usually responds in a timely manner and tend to find a very effective solution most of the times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I tried mailing them but unfortunately, the admin address is also not reachable due to missing TLS 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, gnarlymarley said:

Yeah, probably a good idea to send the link to this forum to the deputies at deputies[at]admin[dot[spamcop[dot]net.

I don't know man. Do you really think this could be a good solution to the issue described?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 2:59 PM, Harry Adams said:

I don't know man. Do you really think this could be a good solution to the issue described?

The deputies have some sort of bug tracking/new feature database.  Since this is in the New Request forum section, hopefully someone will see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×