block history?

SSzretter

Is it possible to check the blocklist history to determine why a server is being blocked?

For example, we have a client that tried to send mail to an address on our server and received a message that their mail server was on the bl.spamcop.net block list.

However, when entering the IP in the message of their mail server, it is not on the black list.

This happened twice yesterday, once at 11am EST, and once at 4PM EST.

It was fine in between and fine after and fine this morning. However I want to be able to prove whether it is a problem with them being blacklisted, or find out if there is some other problem.

Is it possible to check the blocklist history to determine why a server is being blocked?

30775[/snapback]

Paying users can get a Report History for an IP address. As far as I know that's the only way for a 3rd party to find that info out.

If you post the IP address in question someone here can probably post any Report History results for you.

Also, it has been noted on previous occasions that people have gotten reject notices indicated they were blocked because of a Spamcop BL listing, when in fact it was another list altogether, and the bouncing server was just using an incorrect bounce message.

Paying users can get a Report History for an IP address.  As far as I know that's the only way for a 3rd party to find that info out.

30777[/snapback]

I keep reading that, but I'm a paying member, and if the IP is not blocked, there is nothing on the screen to indicate how to get a previous history of it. Are you sure paying members are supposed to have access, or is it just admins?

...Ken

Paying users can get a Report History for an IP address.

But a "report history" isn't the same as a "blocklist history," which is what the OP is looking for. The answer to the original question is "no," because if an IP is currently *not* on the SCBL, there's no display available of the reason(s) that the IP might have previously been listed. The "history" available is very minimal, and won't indicate spamtrap activity, for example, which is often why an IP gets listed.

DT

30775[/snapback]

Your best bet is to contact the deputies<at>spamcop.net address requesting this type of information. They probably have access to this type of thing. More information used to be available publicly, but spammers were using the information to time their runs when addresses dropped off the list. There is also a delay for the same reason.

Listing / de-listing data can only be extracted from the data found on the core SpamCop reporting system ... therefore only accessible by but a handful of people. The SpamCopDNSBL is dynamic, listing/de-listing is based on a magical mathematical model (FAQ entry titled "SpamCop Blocking List Service - What is on the list?") There are other resources that may show the problem traffic, if it exists. But rather than playing all this hypothetical stuff, why not provide the IP address in question? A copy of one of the rejection notices perhaps?

Archived