Symantec AntiVirus for SMTP Gateways

brockj

Our Symantec AntiVirus for SMTP Gateways version 3.1.7.47 every now and then gets blacklisted for bounces.

This gateway does not have any ablity (that I know of) to "know" vaild email addresses so it could reject before accepting and attempting to deliver to our real email server.

How can we solve our problem of being listed without a forklift replacement of our gateway?

Jon Brockmeier

Our Symantec AntiVirus for SMTP Gateways version 3.1.7.47 every now and then gets blacklisted for bounces.

This gateway does not have any ablity (that I know of) to "know" vaild email addresses so it could reject before accepting and attempting to deliver to our real email server.

How can we solve our problem of being listed without a forklift replacement of our gateway?

30869[/snapback]

Using you posting IP address (which most people can not see), are you talking about: 198.110.98.36 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)?

If so, you may also want to update the whois information so you get any reports that would be sent (other than spamtraps). Currently, the record is showing:

Cached whois for 198.110.98.36 : bareman<at>hope.cit.hope.edu

Using last resort contacts bareman<at>hope.cit.hope.edu

bareman<at>hope.cit.hope.edu bounces (19 sent : 10 bounces)

Using bareman#hope.cit.hope.edu[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

Re: Symantec....I don't know the product but I would think there should be a way to turn off sending any bounces or directing them to a specific address on your server for handling. If not, you may need to put a box/program in front of the gateway that knows (or can lookup) your valid users and reject properly. We used to have the (really) old Norton Anti-virus for Firewalls product which had a similar problem (though bounces were not as much a problem then) and we ended up using Postini as a front end to block the spam and viruses before they hit our boxes.

Many bastion mailhosts use RADIUS or LDAP lookup methodologies to determine whether a particular userid/domain combination is a valid email recipient, or they ask the real mailserver via SMTP during the transaction.

1) Format C:\

2) Install the Linux distribution of your choice

3) Install Sendmail or Procmail

4) Install MailScanner

5) Install F-Prot antivirus

6) Tell MailScanner to use F-Prot as its antivirus component

7) Restart the mail service and MailScanner

Archived