strange spanish spam

Jank1887

Got a few wacky spams today. 3 with similar subjects / subject formats. All resolving to same IP (66.201.175.179), with same report address. Here's one tracking URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z792220246z1d...195a37ddfd7a6ez

Content all pure spam, no extra info of any sort. But all the subject includes the statement:

Spam_Detectado_por_Servicio_De_ReDX

my poor spanish reads that as: spam detected by the ReDX service.

is that just a tag added by the sending server? Nice of them to label it, I guess.

Comments?

Yes, it looks like that's "just a tag added by the sending server". From web-based WHOIS and DNS records, it looks like a whole bunch of Spanish ISPs are in bed with each other, not following RFCs, not registering with abuse.net, and incapable of putting together a working Port-43-based WHOIS server. I am not impressed.

Yes, it looks like that's "just a tag added by the sending server".

31123[/snapback]

Can anyone think of a reason for that? "We scan all our outgoing mail to detect spam. But, we have no problem sending it on its way. We'll at least mark it for you so you can filter it."

Should just send them an email telling them to save the server load and stop the scanning, I mean, what's the point?

Can anyone think of a reason for that?  "We scan all our outgoing mail to detect spam.  But, we have no problem sending it on its way. We'll at least mark it for you so you can filter it."

Should just send them an email telling them to save the server load and stop the scanning, I mean, what's the point?

31129[/snapback]

It is worth a shot. I read somewhere that you should use short sentences to help in translation. IIWM, I would give them as much information about abuse.net and spam control as possible. (sometimes I think people use babelfish to translate and then translate it back trying to get a good translation).

Miss Betsy

I have never receive spanish spam, but I do receive a lot of greek spam, I never subscribe any  newsletter from greek site, how could it be???

31304[/snapback]

...And I get a lot of Chinese spam (principally from Taiwan) and others have reported receiving Russian spam. It all depends, I guess, on which spammers have purchased or otherwise harvested your e-mail address.

I get a fair amount of Spanish-language spam from and implicating URLs in Argentina to one of my accounts, plus English-language spam from and implicating URLs in Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Chile, and even South Florida. And then there's the Cyrillic (probably Russian-language) spam from Russia implicating phone numbers in Russia, but with no URLs or email addresses to be found. I haven't spoken Spanish well in 20+ years, and a friend's dog knows more Russian than I do (but that's spoken, she can't read).

Archived