Spamcop+sendmail.. how to configure

tkalfaoglu

Hello everyone.

I have been using sendmail+spamcop for a few weeks, until today when I realised that my email address has been blocked by Yahoogroups, because mails to me from discussion groups have bounced.

And when this happens, this means that it also happens to hundreds of users on our system.

I would like to configure sendmail to accept mail WITHOUT checking with spamcop if the sender of emails is yahoo. Could someone lend me a hand on how I can do that?

(I personally wish spamcop system would put yahoo on a whitelist).

Many thanks,

-turgut

31126[/snapback]

But SpamCop's main job is to provide a list of spam spewing servers. If that's someone as big as yahoo, then SC's does and should identify that for admins (and it's usually just one of their servers, not all of yahoo mail). It's up to the individual server to decide what to block or whitelist. (As per SpamCop FAQ: How do I configure my mailserver to reject mail based on the blocklist? blocking email based on the SpamCob Blocklist is not recommended, even though lots of people do it.)

I do hope you find the right way to configure your system to whitelist yahoo, as that is the proper approach to deal with this if it's that much of a concern.

31126[/snapback]

Why would SC whitelist repeat spammers? The Yahoo! system supports spamming. I get at least one (often more) spam invite to join a Yahoo! group every week. Many others have reported similar spam from Yahoo! Groups.

I don't get mail deliveries from the groups I am a member of. I read them online. So I only have the aforementioned invite spam to go by. This is the general mechanism you want though.

cd /etc/mail

Ensure that you have these features enabled in sendmail.mc:

FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')

FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')

This one assumes that yahoo re-writes the sender for everyone...

Edit access and add:

This one is to whitelist their servers...

Connect:yahoo.com OK

If you had to add the features, you will need to restart Sendmail.

If you only had to edit the access database then rebuild it with a 'make' or 'makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access'.

(I personally wish spamcop system would put yahoo on a whitelist)

31126[/snapback]

Hi Turgut!

I hear the sound of cans of worms being opened across the Spamcop community <_<

Because SpamCop lists IP addresses that are identified as sources of spam, it follows that if a Yahoo! server starts spewing spam then it WILL be listed. Once the spam stops then the server with the IP in question is delisted.

It would be counter-productive if an exception was made just for Yahoo! servers since then every spammer would start using Yahoo! to distribute their spew in he knowledge that the servers were permanently whitelisted.

Andrew

Archived