[Resolved] NtlWorld.com

Equalliser

We found out my problem was not cookies, firewall etc etc. However I have had same problems elsewhere when using NTL emails addy's.

But you don't say what the issue tirned out to be ...????

Some sites that ask for an email addy return a fault saying not a valid email addy, and say the email should be something like (sombody[at]com) this is a problem with a few of my NTL email addy's and the one I used when I reported this problem is one of them.

Wondering if there's a possibility of a character set/language issue involved. You're typing something in, but the receiving system has no concept of the code it's receiving or is replacing what it sees with some other data (for example, click on the Members link at the top of the page and note the first user listed ... user from Japan and suspecting that something other than the string of boxes shows up on that user's screen ..??)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....(for example, click on the Members link at the top of the page and note the first user listed ... user from Japan and suspecting that something other than the string of boxes shows up on that user's screen ..??)

32104[/snapback]

What actually displays on my screen is 5 unique oriental characters.

32107[/snapback]

Thus making my point, thanks <g> character sets, recognizable fonts, etc. Not everyone bothers to install these alternate extras.

32107[/snapback]

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=185787

(Probably not available for most, just my reminder)

This is a complaint/issue on the version 2.1 RC1 of this forum software ... just the timing and subject matter seemed to tie right in 'here' ...

Posted by: tom-riddle Today, 06:46 PM

I searched and didn't find any report about this...

I recieved today a few PMs in portuguese from another member who also lives in Brazil. The title included characters with accent, but instead, My Assistent showed question marks. It seems fine in my Inbox, though.

Below is a screenshot. It should show "Aí, também sou brasileiro...", but "í" and "é" were replaced with ?.

(Edit: the question mark showing on my screen right now as the "were replaced with" item was showing as a square box, as was the sample screenshot, the post, etc.)

Posted by: .Will Today, 09:55 PM

did you try changing the character set to UTF-8

Posted by: tom-riddle 48 minutes ago

Tried now. It turns those characters into question marks everywhere in the site instead of solving the assistent problem... That wouldn't solve the problem, anyway, since I can't ask every user to change their character set too.

But you don't say what the issue tirned out to be ...????

32104[/snapback]

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I updated so we might find the problem, I use members now so I don't have a problem but when I try without going thu members I get the same problem with spamcop has I am experiencing elswhere but not everywhere. I use firefox and have all emails stored so I cannot be doing a typo, if it was a character problem it dosent happen everywhere, so why would it be interrmittent?

It dosent happen with all my NTL email accounts, only the ones I have reported spam via spamcop (but I can't see how this is the problem unless when my email addy is rejected by a forum they check with NTL first and NTL are saying it is not valid?)

I will try on another computer too see if the character theory is the problem.

thanks for all the help, I updated so peeps reading with the same problem can try other things.

regards

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
Have spoken to surport at ntl and according to them the reports are leaving their servers but it seems hit and miss if they arrive at spamcops servers so i am at a loss as to what to do apart from copy and paste every report :o

32457[/snapback]

Then the next step is to get the mail log entries from ntl and send them to JT so he can compare to his logs and figure out the problem.

Then the next step is to get the mail log entries from ntl and send them to JT so he can compare to his logs and figure out the problem.

32458[/snapback]

They have told me that they should be sending you the reports direct so have they?

That would be something that only JT could answer ... address found in previous posts in this Topic.

32607[/snapback]

If we're talking about sending spam to a user's 'submit' address, that mail isn't handled by JT. It's handled by the reporting system (me).

I didn't find his address anywhere in this thread.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service at admin.spamcop.net -

If we're talking about sending spam to a user's 'submit' address, that mail isn't handled by JT.  It's handled by the reporting system (me).

32612[/snapback]

Right. Please send the mail logs to Don via service[at]admin.spamcop.net. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something caught in my logs (a misdirected bounce that I reported, and that was sent to an unauthorized address), and something similar may be affecting the OP:

Received: from mimesweeper1.cableol.net (HELO mast-dc0-sm08.private.ntl.com) ([194.168.3.34])

(envelope-sender <mailadmin[at]ntl.com>)

by oneofmymailservers (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP

for <x>; 20 Sep 2005 09:22:43 -0000

To: x,

y[at]ntl.com

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:22:42 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Offensive Text

X-Nonspam: None

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

A message sent on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:26:52 -0400, sent by x

to y[at]ntl.com

has been blocked by sm08.

This mail has been found to contain offensive text

Please check the contents of the message and amend it before attempting to resend.

If you need to contact NTL with regard to this message please contact

Mailadmin[at]ntl.com within 7 days

• 2 weeks later...
Ntl now say the emails are leaving their servers ok . This seems right because spam without grapics are getting through to spamcop but any with are not . I hope this makes sense

33435[/snapback]

Not really ... you mean pics to Mom of the kids won't go out?

Hi ***update***

Ntl are now blocking there own email addy's sent to another Ntl email addy.

I have multiple emaill addy's and I sent myself an email, you will see from the piccy that the two emails are replaced by ******** not by me, but by NTL, you will see above that the return receipt was not accepted obviously because of the ********

Also it is worth mentioning that the only accounts I have this problem with are the accounts I have reported spam thru spamcop, the ones I have not work ok (< maybe paranoia?)

EDIT: Wazoo removed the Image link as it appears that the Image file was removed from that server.

edit; trying again..Kev

ntl-email-fault.jpg

I have been told they have anti spam filters (already mentioned here) it is worth mentioning I have had no spam from 15 accounts? but what else am I not getting (legitimate mail) perhaps

hope this gets sorted by Ntl

Kev

Ntl are now blocking there own email addy's sent to another Ntl email addy.

33488[/snapback]

Perhaps "forcibly munging" is a better term for what they are doing than "blocking" is. In any case, such activity should be disclosed to their userbase, or protested about loudly. Can you tell if "forcibly munging" is happening on email messages you send, receive, or both on the affected account(s)?

If it's only happening on send, is that only with one particular NTL sending (SMTP) mailserver, some of them, or all of them?

What if you send through a different SMTP mailserver, perhaps on a different port?

Thanks!

Actually, the file has been 'disappeared'

Ripway Web Hosting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

File Not Found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The file or folder you've requested could not be found. Please check the URL and try again

It was there when I caught that post earlier today .... Going to edit that post and remove the now-dead link ....

Re: Equalliser's ****** issue ...

A bit bothered by a bit of 'provided' data, allegedly a set of headers. In that sample, references to any e-mail e-mail address in the headers was replaced by the **** (in an e-mail from one account to another account allegedly on the same Host?) However, analyzing the sample, the length of the replacement string isn't 'standard' ... provided below, the header description lines moved to the right of the munged string to work around the white-space issues here;

<****************************> Return-Path:

<*************************> for

<*************************> for

<**************************> Disposition-Notification-To:

*********************** To:

From a programming point of view, this is strange. The 'easy' way would be to replace any e-mail address/string with a 'boilerplate' string (stored away somewhere) The 'harder' way would be to do a TR(anslate) on the string as it flew by. Neither of these seems to be in play, based on the string length variation being seen.

Jeff G. .... memory time ... ages and ages ago ... don't remember where ... a user was having issues plugging in a number somewhere ... I seem to recall some "privacy protection" app (part of yet another larger package) that was intercepting the numeric string on the way out .... as I recollect, there was a 4-digit number plugged into that app used for something, but that 4-digit string was coincidentally in the credit card number he was trying to plug in somewhere else .... might have the story / some details wrong, but ....???? any recollection n the software that was involved then? (seems like I've seen current stuff advertised that does or at least monitors the same stuff ...???) This still may not explain the variation in the munged string length, but ....

Equalliser --- are you running any software tools, toolbar apps, etc. that might be doing something like this? Some kind of "Privacy protection"

Hi

I have not removed the photo's from ripway, i will look at them.

I have pm'd Jeff with more info and I did not put the ******* in the top part of the headers, it did have my email addy's.

I run zonealrm which stores my emails from being 'stolen' and I will try by removing my email addy, however, I have all my emails in their and only 3 out of my ntl accounts are having this problem, I cannot login to ntl webmail, but I always could before.

hopefully Jeff (if he can see my ripwy links I sent him) can throw some ides at it.

I tried sending mail via gmail and the same happened, in fact I could invite my problem ntl addy's because gmail said 'not valid email' remember this is how this thread started. I login through members to avoid this, but I don't get any spam,,,none..!!!

thanks for the help guys, I hope zonealrm is the culprit, will let you know.

Equalliser --- are you running any software tools, toolbar apps, etc. that might be doing something like this?  Some kind of "Privacy protection"

33546[/snapback]

Wazzoo your a God.

It's Zonealrm, I took out the emails and it let me mail and it did not put the *******

zonealrm did not warn and ask 'do you want to allow this', it just put the ***** in.

still confused why it only does it on 5 accounts when all my accounts are in the 'vault', but who cares it is working now. could have been a recent zonealrm upgrade.

thanks, I know this has been a lot of work for everyone, but when someone gets the ***** and is running zonealrm, the answer will be easy. Maybe into the FAQ

thanks everyone

ps. I put the addy back into zonealrm and I got the ******** again, so obviously there is a fault because my other emails are not affected in zonealrm.

pps. It was also blocking my hotmail and msn accounts, but they were working until 22 sept, so zonealrm has srewed up. out of 17 email accounts stored in zonealarm all were working and 5 started getting blocked with any web page, email proggy and mailwasher. so why zonealrm became choosy I don't care, they are all out of the 'vault' now and are working.

Kev

Wazzoo your a God.

I was going to say "please don't tell anyone" but I noted that you mistyped my name in an effort to keep that fact anonymous ... Thanks <g>

hopefully Jeff (if he can see my ripwy links I sent him) can throw some ides at it.  ..... I cannot login to ntl webmail, but I always could before.

Actually, Jeff G. did share one of those e-mails, and it was the webmail access problem that got me thinking along other lines ...

It's Zonealrm, I took out the emails and it let me mail and it did not put the *******

33553[/snapback]

Thanks for hanging in, working things through, and most definitly providing feedback with the solution.

Archived