spam domains and Namecheap

LaserMoon

The vast majority of spam that I get uses domains registered by Namecheap to both send the spam (from @domain), and to link to content and tracking scripts.

Namecheap's policy, as far as I can tell, is to only remove a domain if it shows up in the Spamhaus blacklist.
So the spammers' policy is to keep registering new domains, and Namecheap won't bother them as long as the infrastructure used is external (typically Russian).

Does this match your experience?

Edited by LaserMoon

• LaserMoon changed the title to spam domains and Namecheap
50 minutes ago, LaserMoon said:

The vast majority of spam that I get uses domains registered by Namecheap to both send the spam (from @domain), and to link to content and tracking scripts.

Most of mine come from a cnnic.cn registrar.  Namecheap is probably third or fourth on my list.

• 2 months later...

Yes. This use to be the case for me before I started using gmail as a spam filter for my domain mail. Then it became second to gmail spam. I've had discussions with namecheap at great length on how to handle spammers. At one point I was getting over 100 spam a day from domains registered with namecheap. Namecheap has become a spammers delight. They don't bother to verify anything. At one point my spammer didn't hide his whois information and I found out his name and real email address. I contacted him directly and told him I'd save him money if he would stop spamming me. Told him how I was reporting it and it was me that was causing him to lose his domains within the day he purchased them. He removed me. But every once in a while I get rotated back on his list and I email him and remind him after I've closed about 50.

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, LaserMoon said:

Namecheap's policy, as far as I can tell, is to only remove a domain if it shows up in the Spamhaus blacklist.
So the spammers' policy is to keep registering new domains, and Namecheap won't bother them as long as the infrastructure used is external (typically Russian).

Does this match your experience?

All of the above is accurate for me. It had been for several years now. I’ve found a couple of things out about the spammer behind the annoying emails.

1) Flex Marketing Group (New York) is likely a part of the problem 

2) There is little more info but my email address is listed on a public web page at “to-email.com” - I would like to get my email address off this page but not sure about contacting the site owner or going to the hosting provider! https://to-email.com/find-email/dce79a24436e8368cf2ccd1b12ef9f9a

And when I checked the domain registration details for to-email.com, the mailing box address given has a large number of reports of scams related to it…

Edited by Hanco
Spelling correction. Added info about domain registration/owner.