😢 Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source - PLEASE HELP!

lisali

Hi,

Recently, I've been getting the following error message when reporting certain emails:

Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source
Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam
No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

This only happens with SOME emails and the mailihosts are all configured correctly.

What to do?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, lisali said:

Hi,

Recently, I've been getting the following error message when reporting certain emails:

Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source
Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam
No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

This only happens with SOME emails and the mailihosts are all configured correctly.

What to do?

Thanks!

often means mail host not set-up or changed

21 hours ago, lisali said:

That's what I am saying - the mailhosts are ALL set up, and nothing has changed.

Sometimes mailhost needs resending to see if ISP has changed something?

Edited by petzl

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, lisali said:

I am not having problems with mine.  This could be caused by the addition of IPv6 by your ISP, or by a possible mail loop where the message happened to go through an extra internal server, or the source is the same as your ISP.  A tracking URL would be helpful if you were comfortable with sharing.

1 hour ago, gnarlymarley said:

I am not having problems with mine.  This could be caused by the addition of IPv6 by your ISP, or by a possible mail loop where the message happened to go through an extra internal server, or the source is the same as your ISP.  A tracking URL would be helpful if you were comfortable with sharing.

Yeah, could be. It's all working fine now after resetting. 👍 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, gnarlymarley said:

A tracking URL would be helpful if you were comfortable with sharing.

Here's a recent one of mine that had the same problem: https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6730785981zece71ee274804ca8f17de9c61c757879z

The Received headers have been modified by SpamCop. The IP address in all of them is listed as [127.0.0.1] and the hostname is listed as localhost, instead of the actual hostnames and IP addresses that were in the message as I submitted it.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, Tesseract said:

The Received headers have been modified by SpamCop

SpamCop doesn't modify my headers.  I do find it strange that your tracking URL does not contain a connection between the transcrow.online and the macports.org.

Received: from localhost [127.0.0.1] by braeburn.macports.org
........something is missing here........
Received: from localhost [127.0.0.1] by m.transcrow.online

That tracking URL does have the IP on a Received-SPF line, but there should also be a Received line.

Received: from [80.208.228.181] (m.transcrow.online [80.208.228.181])
 by braeburn.macports.org

I did run across this and it maybe that braeburn.macports.org is always adding the correct headers.

Edited by gnarlymarley

17 hours ago, Tesseract said:

Here's a recent one of mine that had the same problem: https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6730785981zece71ee274804ca8f17de9c61c757879z

The Received headers have been modified by SpamCop. The IP address in all of them is listed as [127.0.0.1] and the hostname is listed as localhost, instead of the actual hostnames and IP addresses that were in the message as I submitted it.

Have you tried removing and re-adding all your mailhosts? That fixed it for me.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, gnarlymarley said:

SpamCop doesn't modify my headers.  I do find it strange that your tracking URL does not contain a connection between the transcrow.online and the macports.org.

Received: from localhost [127.0.0.1] by braeburn.macports.org
........something is missing here........
Received: from localhost [127.0.0.1] by m.transcrow.online

That tracking URL does have the IP on a Received-SPF line, but there should also be a Received line.

Received: from [80.208.228.181] (m.transcrow.online [80.208.228.181])
 by braeburn.macports.org

SpamCop doesn't normally modify my headers either, but clearly did in this one case. The message as submitted has these Received headers (email addresses redacted but otherwise unmodified):

Received: from braeburn.macports.org (braeburn.macports.org [IPv6:2a01:4f8:211:2c54::2])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange X25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(No client certificate requested)
	by mail.root.id.au (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 615BA16ECC8
	for <x>; Fri, 19 Nov 2021 03:28:00 +1100 (EST)
Received: from braeburn.macports.org (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
	by braeburn.macports.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id F2A1F100775;
	Thu, 18 Nov 2021 16:27:55 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from m.transcrow.online (m.transcrow.online [80.208.228.181])
 by braeburn.macports.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 9D62F100238
 for <x>; Thu, 18 Nov 2021 16:27:51 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from transcrow.online (::ffff:80.246.31.11 [::ffff:80.246.31.11]) by
 m.transcrow.online with SMTP; Thu, 18 Nov 2021 15:25:08 -0000

14 hours ago, Tesseract said:

SpamCop doesn't normally modify my headers either, but clearly did in this one case. The message as submitted has these Received headers (email addresses redacted but otherwise unmodified):

I tried copying the missing headers in to my account and it doesn't seem to strip them out.

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6731316407zb111e9d2cfa7f8b5c5d6236c6058460cz

Hopefully the deputies can see this and figure out there the problem might exists.

• 2 months later...

So, I finally got to the bottom of my issue. I was correct that what SpamCop was displaying was not what I sent. But with the help of one of the deputies (thanks Richard!), I discovered that SpamCop was displaying exactly what it received, but that was different to what I sent! The modification was being made in between by one of my outgoing mail servers. I thought I had ruled that out by forwarding the messages to myself and verifying that they were unmodified, but the issue only affected one of the many servers, which happened not to be used in my initial tests. That also explains the seemingly intermittent nature of the problem.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I've learned once again never to make assumptions, no matter how unlikely or absurd the alternatives may seem…

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 8:38 PM, Tesseract said:

So, I finally got to the bottom of my issue. I was correct that what SpamCop was displaying was not what I sent. But with the help of one of the deputies (thanks Richard!), I discovered that SpamCop was displaying exactly what it received, but that was different to what I sent! The modification was being made in between by one of my outgoing mail servers. I thought I had ruled that out by forwarding the messages to myself and verifying that they were unmodified, but the issue only affected one of the many servers, which happened not to be used in my initial tests. That also explains the seemingly intermittent nature of the problem.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I've learned once again never to make assumptions, no matter how unlikely or absurd the alternatives may seem…

Forgive my ignorance, but I have been having the same problem lately and all of my hosts are correctly registered.  What is the fix?  What are the steps you took to resolve?  Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, scottNY said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I have been having the same problem lately and all of my hosts are correctly registered.  What is the fix?  What are the steps you took to resolve?  Thanks in advance.

Send a email to deputies [AT]spamcop[DOT]net asking to fix