Spam reporting via third-party domain?

SharQ

Right, I have implemented a spam solution which works as follows:

1) Email arrives at the domain

2) all e-mail with higher than 1.5 SpamAssassin points gets re-routed to kamps <at> spamcop.net

3) Every few hours, I check the spamcop spambox, and whitelist anything that is mis-tagged as spam.

4) Everything else gets reported to spamcop, who forward it to the relevant abuse addresses, which is the e-mail you received.

The question, then: When I report the e-mails, it has obviously passed through my e-mail servers. Will this reflect negatively on me, in terms of spamcop's blacklists etc?

For info, a full, raw message header such as would be reported via this system, is posted below.

It would be great if someone could shed some light on this.

EDIT: Wazoo deleted the "spam in all it's glory" ... touched the single remaining address.

If you have implemented mailhosts, there should be no problems. Also if you are not reporting your server IP addresses when you send the reports, there should be no problems. The parser knows what are legitimate received lines and only stops at the last one which should show the IP address from which the spam came.

It is also not a good idea to post real email addresses on the forum as the spammer spiders get them. They should be munged.

Miss Betsy

4) Everything else gets reported to spamcop, who forward it to the relevant abuse addresses, which is the e-mail you received.

What is the e-mail "I" received ..????

The question, then: When I report the e-mails, it has obviously passed through my e-mail servers. Will this reflect negatively on me, in terms of spamcop's blacklists etc?

There is a FAQ available here. There is a How to Use .... forum section. Have you taken the time to parse a sample spam, setting your Preferences to "show full/Technical Details" and actually looked at the parser output, specifically looking for any stumbling points, any of your associated ISPs getting identified ... are you looking at the report/complaint targets before hitting the "Send" button? If you're asking this question, have you read the "rules" on reporting? Have you configured your account(s) to generate your MailHost data?

For info, a full, raw message header such as would be reported via this system, is posted below.

The use of a Tracking URL is the preferred mode of providing spam samples here. Formatting issues due to white-space handling, cut/paste/application errors due to the different apps involved, and in this case, the lack of a mung on all the e-mail addresses included. Why you chose to post the entire spam when only some of the header data was in question ....?????

Archived