Fake reports, and the bounces back

Peter Smith

I recieved an email today the subject of which was "SpamCop encountered errors". Which is odd, becasue I didn't submit any spam. Most odd.

I looked at the headers of the message, and yes, it was a proper error report that actually orginated from SpamCop. How strange.

The email that was being reported was absolutely, definitely spam. How curious.

So, I looked at the headers of the message that was used to submit the spam to SpamCop (because SpamCop kindly includes them). The headers were:

Return-Path: <passionate[at]nyffe.ch>

Received: from sc-smtp2.eq.ironport.com (sc-smtp2.eq.ironport.com [192.168.18.82])

by sc-app2.eq.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3EF7751592B

for <submit.removed-to-protect-me[at]spam.spamcop.net>; Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

Received: from 170.220.6.200.intelnet.net.gt (200.6.220.170)

by sc-smtp2.eq.ironport.com with SMTP; 15 Aug 2005 08:45:24 -0700

Received: from [135.128.158.209] (port=7188 helo=[nastier])

by 170.220.6.200.intelnet.net.gt with esmtp

id 5725344621Uranus90087

for submit.code-removed-to-protect me[at]spam.spamcop.net; Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:45:29 -0600

Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v728)

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Message-Id: <3611085545.106327[at]170.220.6.200.intelnet.net.gt>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

To: submit.code-removed-to-protect-me[at]spam.spamcop.net

Subject: Company Spotlight For An Emerging Equity

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:45:28 -0600

X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.728)

Now I am sure I haven't revealed my submit address -- it was all in lower case, and I always use mixed case (because I copy it from the SpamCop page).

So it seems like someone in Guatemala is using my SpamCop submission address to "bounce" spam back to me through SpamCop. How cunning!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have I interpreted events correctly?

I wonder what could be done differently to prevent this?

Kind regards

Peter

I've been back through my spam archive and I've noticed a few messges like this (from different sources, e.g. China). Basically, it seems a "fake" report is submited to SpamCop using a genuine Submit.xxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net address. But, the intention is to have the submission fail and be bounced back to a poor old user (e.g. me).

I've been back through my spam archive and I've noticed a few messges like this (from different sources, e.g. China). Basically, it seems a "fake" report is submited to SpamCop using a genuine Submit.xxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net address. But, the intention is to have the submission fail and be bounced back to a poor old user (e.g. me).

31687[/snapback]

Have you ever forwarded spam to your submit address as well as other addresses (ftc, etc.)? It is possible that a complaint got forwarded to your spammer who was able to get your submit address that way.

Just recently I thought about this and I now use the bcc to submit my spam to spamcop via email if sending to another party as well. Might be a line to add to the FAQ on email reporting?

I now use the bcc to submit my spam to spamcop via email if sending to another party as well.  Might be a line to add to the FAQ on email reporting?

31696[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll think about that.

I can change your 'submit' address if you want.  Just send your username to me at service at admin.spamcop.net

31694[/snapback]

Thanks for the offer, but I think the real problem is that some one is "generating" submit addresses. I wonder if there is any easy way for SpamCop to do a query on its database of emails rejected to see how big a problem it really is?

Archived