[Resolved] Spamcop losing my credentials

magpie.com,Aug 25 2005, 06:59 AM]Since the new reporting system went online today I'm being pestered at almost every other page view to login again <snip>

31972[/snapback]

Hi ... no real explanation but maybe setting your cookie exceptions is needed for some reason. Required procedure is like: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=31407

(IE6 case). Note dbiel's wild card method further down in the topic, which seems like a good way to go. This is all in a posted FAQ somewhere too.

Let's know how it goes, if it works. You have a (near) duplicate post in another forum you might like to delete.

Hi ... no real explanation but maybe setting your cookie exceptions is needed for some reason.  Required procedure is like: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=31407

(IE6 case).  Note dbiel's wild card method further down in the topic, which seems like a good way to go.  This is all in a posted FAQ somewhere too.

Let's know how it goes, if it works.

I've been a paid member of Spamcop for over three years though and never encountered this problem before, in either Firefox or IE. Just today it started happening with both, and on my laptop as well. I've always been able to stay logged into Spamcop for weeks without having to re-login.

The cookie is getting set okay. I don't have cookies disabled in the browers.

magpie.com,Aug 24 2005, 11:12 PM]I've been a paid member of Spamcop for over three years though and never encountered this problem before, in either Firefox or IE.  Just today it started happening with both, and on my laptop as well.  I've always been able to stay logged into Spamcop for weeks without having to re-login.

31982[/snapback]

Well, I am not having any problems and the lack of complaints here seem to indicate no problem with spamcop in general.

Have you tried deleting all spamcop cookies and logging in again?

Here's my guess .... New hardware was installed, system, software, data migrated. DNS / IP addresses got changed. SPF records caused some e-mail failures due to these changes. Not too hard to envision some cookie data changing during the massive data move.

In my case, when going to the www.spamcop.net web page, I've had to log in for the last few days (actually starting the day before the 'outage') .. however, cookie data has 'caught up' apparently ... just hit the link and I'm logged in. There's no way I can back up your "constantly" being asked to log in though.

Reaching back into the newsgroup archives, around Oct 2004 in the spamcop.help group, there's mention of "after logging out, at your next login, there's an additional button for an expiration setting on the cookie" .... I recall some coding issues on that page, so also recall suggesting that going for "1 year expiration" was the ticket to get things working. I will admit to having been looking for that dropdown off and on for the last couple of days and feeling a bit stupid, knowing that it was 'there' somewhere ... this post caused me to fo the search to find the answer ... not going to say it's still there, but ... that's my recommendation ..

do your login .. check your preferences .. logout .. shut down your browser

bring things back up, login in again, see if the additional button shows up .. if so, select a timeframe, see what happens.

Actually, I just tried it .... as soon as I hit the "Logout" button, the screen refreshed with a "Login" screen, which includes the dropdown box for the expiration time.

Silly me, I just now noticed that this Topic is in the MailHost Forum ....???? What the heck does this have to do with MailGost configuration of a Reporting Account? Nothing that I can see, so moving this to the Reporting Help Forum section.

Here's my guess .... New hardware was installed, system, software, data migrated.  DNS / IP addresses got changed.  SPF records caused some e-mail failures due to these changes.  Not too hard to envision some cookie data changing during the massive data move.

I suspect it was a temporary DNS issue after the upgrade too. Perhaps the browser was having a problem associating the server to a static host and was just dropping the authentication. Network plumbing isn't my forte. Anyway, it seems to have fixed itself.

Archived