No longer able to report any spam!

cdwitmer

I can still report mails that SpamCop identifies as suspect spam and holds without forwarding. However, once an email has been delivered to any of my email accounts and I try to report it, either by forwarding or by copy-paste, I get the following error message:

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Nothing to do.

This is truly bizarre to me, because for years everything has been working fine, and now, all of a sudden, I can't report ANYTHING from ANY email address that I use. Even an email that I send to myself cant be reported, so I know there is no "forgery" involved.

I also tried deleting and re-registering all of my mailhosts, but it made no difference.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you are not comfortable revealing here in public which mailhosts you have configured and a Tracking URL for a spam that is giving you that error, I'd suggest writing the Deputies with that information via deputies[at]spamcop.net with Mailhosts in the Subject.

User making the same complaint over in the newsgroups finally got around to admitting that the issue resolved by noting that his/her ISP had changed (the name of) e-mail servers ... As the 'new' servers were not in that user's MailHost configuration, all submittals were failing on Line 0 of the parse. Check your data and see if the circumstances might be similar.

User making the same complaint over in the newsgroups finally got around to admitting that the issue resolved by noting that his/her ISP had changed (the name of) e-mail servers ... As the 'new' servers were not in that user's MailHost configuration, all submittals were failing on Line 0 of the parse.  Check your data and see if the circumstances might be similar.

32210[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies . . . Wazoo's point occurred to me as a possiblity, which is why I deleted and re-registered my mailhosts with SpamCop. Wouldn't that resolve the problem of any e-mail server name changes? Gratefully, cdwitmer

. . . Wazoo's point occurred to me as a possiblity, which is why I deleted and re-registered my mailhosts with SpamCop. Wouldn't that resolve the problem of any e-mail server name changes?

32238[/snapback]

As long at the mailhost configuration process was completed successfully, yes. The next step might be to ask about how you are submitting the spam and/or to provide a tracking URL for one of the failed parses.

Another method might be to use IMAP to transfer those spams from your local machine back to the spamcop servers where you can then report them as you report your held mail...or is this also failing?

Thanks for the replies . . . Wazoo's point occurred to me as a possiblity, which is why I deleted and re-registered my mailhosts with SpamCop. Wouldn't that resolve the problem of any e-mail server name changes? Gratefully, cdwitmer

32238[/snapback]

Hard to say with no data provided. One could say "yes" problem resolved. But then it might become known that "your" ISP actually uses 20 different servers and your re-configuration only resolved one of these severs ... the next spam arrived via another of the ISP servers involved. In another light, there are many instances also talked about with "your" ISP's primary server working along for months with no issues, then something happens and a back-up server is brought into play. As this back-up server only shows up while the primary server is down, only a few spam submittals result in a problem. Boils down to one of the hazards of using Quick-Reporting and the requirement/agreement that "you" are responsible for which reports go out and where they end up.

Archived