Yahoo - "nothing to do" message.

moreofless

On 9/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, moreofless said:

Most of the time when I report spam received in my Yahoo account, I get the "nothing to do" message. Is this a Yahoo problem or have the spammers figured something out about Yahoo and Spamcop?

Without the TRACKING URL (like I am posting below) nobody here will be able to help you since there are so many different reasons for the "nothing to do" message and only through the parsing messages we can see what the reason is.

if you are worried that anybody could find out your email address or name or any personal information, SC munges the to: <email@examlpe.com> address replacing it with to: <x> and replaces some characters in the Message-ID: with underscores ____

Here's mine I just submitted:
SpamCop v 5.4.0 © 2022 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776145388z6080b6709295cf287a14b891e44aee45z

if you follow the link in the report you'll be able to see that the headers have been munged by SC at 4 different places...

HTH

12 minutes ago, RobiBue said:

Without the TRACKING URL (like I am posting below) nobody here will be able to help you since there are so many different reasons for the "nothing to do" message and only through the parsing messages we can see what the reason is.

if you are worried that anybody could find out your email address or name or any personal information, SC munges the to: <email@examlpe.com> address replacing it with to: <x> and replaces some characters in the Message-ID: with underscores ____

Here's mine I just submitted:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776145388z6080b6709295cf287a14b891e44aee45z

if you follow the link in the report you'll be able to see that the headers have been munged by SC at 4 different places...

HTH

Thank you!

Here are a couple examples:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776146428zf9f9880a8a0392b050fe675cd3370cc0z

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776146652z419c20432950173efd04c83d08dc1907z

Edited by moreofless

52 minutes ago, moreofless said:

I don't think I can change Yahoo's configuration.

It doesn't have to do with Yahoo!'s mailhost config. Your SpamCop account has mailhosts set up, and by removing them it should work as intended.

In other words, edit your mailhost configuration (petzl's link doesn't work btw... ) under the tab [Mailhosts] (as shown below) you can edit, remove, or disable? the mailhosts.

image.png.1e9728e1f25215706438c40d617b8a1b.png

HTH

4 hours ago, moreofless said:

this last one, when I ran it through without mailhosts, came from a google system. Unfortunately google doesn't like to work with SC and the reports get sent to a "garbage bin" but still count as spam towards the IP address and it gets listed in the  Block List...

I'm posting the example here because it's too old to submit
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776170797z8dd80ccdfa3288da9b205c61cab5b9bcz

Tracking message source: 209.85.217.52:
Routing details for 209.85.217.52
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 209.85.217.52 : network-abuse@google.com
abuse@google.com redirects to google-abuse-bounces-reports@devnull.spamcop.net
Using best contacts google-abuse-bounces-reports@devnull.spamcop.net    <--- that's the "garbage bin" (in UNIX circles known as /dev/nul  aka nul device )
Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. You must report spam within 2 days of receipt. This mail was received on Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:22:46 +0000
Message is 19.5 days old
209.85.217.52 not listed in cbl.abuseat.org
209.85.217.52 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net ( 1 )   <--- listed!
209.85.217.52 not listed in accredit.habeas.com
209.85.217.52 not listed in plus.bondedsender.org
209.85.217.52 not listed in iadb.isipp.com

SORBS (spam and Open Relay Blocking System) has the IP address listed

and Spamcop has 209.85.0.0/16 listed with 47072 spam reports! and that's why I believe that google bounces spam reports....

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, RobiBue said:

this last one, when I ran it through without mailhosts, came from a google system. Unfortunately google doesn't like to work with SC and the reports get sent to a "garbage bin" but still count as spam towards the IP address and it gets listed in the  Block List...

I'm posting the example here because it's too old to submit
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6776170797z8dd80ccdfa3288da9b205c61cab5b9bcz

Tracking message source: 209.85.217.52:
Snip
209.85.217.52 not listed in iadb.isipp.com

SORBS (spam and Open Relay Blocking System) has the IP address listed

and Spamcop has 209.85.0.0/16 listed with 47072 spam reports! and that's why I believe that google bounces spam reports....

Until "moreofless" can sort out his "mailhosts" problem nothing can be done.
I use Yahoo, not for email but need/like access to local streaming TV, but for a while getting a lot of spam now nothing,
suspect Facebook are not keeping emails secure?
Reporting it through SpamCop has stopped the spam always worked for me!

Edited by petzl

53 minutes ago, petzl said:

Until "moreofless" can sort out his "mailhosts" problem nothing can be done.
I use Yahoo, not for email but need/like access to local streaming TV, but for a while getting a lot of spam now nothing,
suspect Facebook are not keeping emails secure?
Reporting it through SpamCop has stopped the spam always worked for me!

I have no idea what I have to do to "sort out his "mailhosts" problem". I get a phishing email, I click "view raw message" and copy paste that to Spamcop. I am not a technical person and I should not have to be to report dangerous phishing email.

33 minutes ago, moreofless said:

I have no idea what I have to do to "sort out his "mailhosts" problem". I get a phishing email, I click "view raw message" and copy paste that to Spamcop. I am not a technical person and I should not have to be to report dangerous phishing email.

Doubt if anyone can help you here, best if you get a more computer savvy friend over to take a look.
Send a fresh yahoo track though and I will see if I can parse it. Your old tracks have expired

Edited by petzl