[Resolved] Cannot download big attachment; size limit?

I am using firefox to access Spamcop webmail, and to read a message with a 20Mb attachment. I would like to download this attachment. I have tried all three links in the message:

1. First link is the filename of the attachment. When I click on this, a blank firefox window opens, it quickly finishes loading and remains empty.

2. Second link is "download all attachments as zip file". When I click on this, the firefox progress indicator runs for a few seconds, then simply stops.

3. Third link is a picture of an arrow pointing down towards a picture of a harddisk enclosure. When I click on this, the firefox progress indicator runs for a few seconds, then simply stops.

In all cases, I receive no error message, no dialog, etc.

I also clicked on the "Save as" link in the header. This does absolutely nothing; the firefox progress indicator doesn't even start moving.

I tried to redirect the email to another account. The redirect dialog doesn't disappear.

Please help. I need to get this file. Thanks in advance.

chris...

I am using firefox to access Spamcop webmail, and to read a message with a 20Mb attachment.

Ignoring that 20Meg is a bit of abuse of e-mail protocols (there are some ISPs that still have 2Meg file size limits applied to e-mail) .... You didn't say, so I'll ask ... have you tried an IMAP connection via an e-mail applicaion?

No, have not tried IMAP. While I agree a 20Mb attachment is a bit large (and the person sending it made some questionable choices in doing so), webmail flat-out let me down. There are bugs here, and I would like someone to acknowledge there are bugs here. I would really like to see the maintainer(s) start using Bugzilla, gnats, or some kind of bug-tracking system. Then those of us who depend on webmail to run a small business know that our requests are in the queue and have a chance of getting fixed.

No, have not tried IMAP.

Sure would like to know if that allowed you to get the file.

There are bugs here, and I would like someone to acknowledge there are bugs here.

At the moment, you have brought up something out of the ordinary. My recollection on complaints about file attachments has thus far been uploading/sending them .. and the catch there is that duplication of the problem is usually difficult. The last half-dozen or so folks that PM'd me their account data had those bad results in that everything "worked" for me ....???

That no one else has jumped in to add in that they've had problems with downloading attached files tends to put the "problem" at a point other than the SpamCop e-mail account servers.

I would really like to see the maintainer(s) start using Bugzilla, gnats, or some kind of bug-tracking system.  Then those of us who depend on webmail to run a small business know that our requests are in the queue and have a chance of getting fixed.

32525[/snapback]

In general, the products in use are commercial applications. Based on the requests/suggestions in the New Feature Request Forum and a number of Topics wthin the E-mail Account Forum, there are some issues with the integration of the GUI's and data flow between JT's systems and the IronPort reporting systems, but .. this is outside of your current somplaint. I was headed to that I had placed links in the SpamCop FAQ here to those other applications.

What is not known yet in this case ... is it a FireFox / configuration issue? Have you tried using IE for instance? Is it possible that the file was "handled" by an anti-virus tool somewhere and is in fact "messed up" somehow? As stated above, this isn't a repeated complaint, and based on the past experiences of things "working" when I tried to duplicate the issue (especially when working under the user's account itself ..) I'm a bit hard-pressed in trying to come up with the words to use to send a query upstream. Worst case, JT looks at your account, sees the e-mail, sees the file, ... then what? Other side, sees the e-mail, sees that the 'attached' file is garbage ... then what? I'm asking that you attempt a few other things to try to narrow down the issues, noting that you had already said that you 'needed' the file.

Good point about trying IE. I tried IE. Here are the results

1. First link is the filename of the attachment. IE opens a new window with no address bar; eventually the window says "cannot find server" in the title bar, "The page cannot be displayed" in the document render area. This is baffling, because it seems to be accessing webmail.spamcop.net, which is perfectly reachable in other IE panes.

2. Second link is "download all attachments as zip file". IE attempts to load the page in the same window (no new window). Eventually the window changes to say "cannot find server" in the title bar, and "The page cannot be displayed" in the document render area.

3. Third link is a picture of an arrow pointing down towards a picture of a harddisk enclosure. After I click that, ". IE attempts to load the page in the same window (no new window). Eventually I get the same result as #2.

I think it's safe to say this is not a Firefox issue.

I don't know how to judge whether the file was mangled. The email certainly is intact enough for SC webmail to recognize that it as a valid message, to notice that it has an attachment, and to offer the attachment for download in various forms. I don't know how to verify, without getting the file, its status.

Thanks for that effort. Not knowing how proprietary this file is, the format / file type, I'll make the offer anyway. If you could see your way clear to PM the account data, I'd like to try something else ... please make a note as to which e-mail is the problem. I see that you registered 'here' with a spamcop.net account. Is this the same account that the e-mail would be found under? I've an e-mail to JT started, but would like to have everything I can accounted for first.

I would not expect that the zip option would work in this case as SpamCop does have a 2meg limit on attachments (outbound) and I would think that any processing of the attachments might fall into those limits.

I have run tests in the past that have worked where SpamCop has received mail in the 20meg + size range and I have been able to POP it (using Outlook Express) and access it via IMAP.

OK, got some data (not enough to try an IMAP connection) .. However, JT was on-line at the time ... JT's fast and easy response; "Too big for webmail... he'll need to use a real email program"

So for the time being, this Topic will be tagged as resolved. Issue now to be taken up in the New Feature Request, possibly some dealings with the Horde/IMP folks ..????

Per the IMP/Horde FAQ (linked to in the SpamCop FAQ here) ... issue isn't firsctly an IMP "problem" ... they point to PHP as the deciding factor ..

http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/print.php#c10

By default, PHP limits uploaded files to 2 MB, and this limit applies to attachments on messages sent from IMP.

I would guess that reconfiguring the PHP.ini file isn't really an option that will be entertained by JT for numerous reasons. So the 'easy' solution does appear to be an IMAP connection for direct access, one would assume (easy for me to do anyway <g>) that a POP or Forward would probably handle it also. Looking for a FAQ to update or add to address this issue.

Later: Modified Jeff G's FAQ entry at Getting Mail From The SpamCop Email System

Archived