Get Threatening Emails From My Account

Ex_Brit

Periodically I receive emails to & from my cesmail email address saying due to a trojan my “device” has been hacked.  It possibly started either after I reported a strange email abyear or so ago, or after I almost got an infection which Malwarebytes Pro intercepted and cleaned.  I now use McAfee to protect my PC & iPhone/iPad. The email asks for money but I delete them immediately.  I don’t believe what they say as I frequently do full scans with WD, MBAM Pro (now installed but kept inactive), and McAfee.

Thoughts anyone? 

2 hours ago, Ex_Brit said:

Periodically I receive emails to & from my cesmail email address saying due to a trojan my “device” has been hacked.  It possibly started either after I reported a strange email abyear or so ago, or after I almost got an infection which Malwarebytes Pro intercepted and cleaned.  I now use McAfee to protect my PC & iPhone/iPad. The email asks for money but I delete them immediately.  I don’t believe what they say as I frequently do full scans with WD, MBAM Pro (now installed but kept inactive), and McAfee.

Thoughts anyone? 

Pretty common. 
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6796324856z92e4a4d4454d22c4f2a16bb8e35bc09az
I just use windows defender which is pretty good. Sometimes I do a free scan with SpyHunter (never buy it)

Edited by petzl

Thanks that sets my mind at rest.  As it’s so common it speaks volumes about the security at cesmail’s servers.

10 minutes ago, petzl said:

1 hour ago, RobiBue said:

definitely a scam to get money (or bitcoins)...
I actually report it to the originating provider...
haven't received one in a long time now... used to get them frequently...

5 hours ago, Ex_Brit said:

Thanks that sets my mind at rest.  As it’s so common it speaks volumes about the security at cesmail’s servers.

If you used the new owners of cesmail, now Cisco servers, you would not even see it, Some SpamCop users like to pull the wings off spammers.
So spam filtering is turned off.
I not only report such spammers to the ISP but also to the sending Nations authorities, even if sent via a Botnet the ISP logs the IP where that is sent from, so would then be mentioned to the authorities of the IP's country, they then would track it further. The loon stands to be caught, but legal processes are slow!
If it's thought the Bitcoin spammer has a bit of wealth he may even be extradited to a Moroccan justice system (41.141.94.156) !

Edited by petzl

Since I own my own server, I was able to use SpamAssassin to filter for those emails. Now the scammers/spammers try to send me this junk three or four times from each IP. I would get the attempts from about a dozen IPs and then they would stop for a few weeks. I report every one that makes it through my spam filter and they stop soon afterward.

9 hours ago, Ex_Brit said:

Yes I usually report them but the last one I didn't have time to do so.  Plus I was using my phone and had forgotten my glasses so I couldn't see the finer details.

Good idea not to get too obsessed  about every single bit of spam. Just do what one can.