Wish List for Parser: Offer to Truncate Long Spam

turetzsr

...A wish list item for the parser: if body exceeds the allowed size, provide reporter with option to simply automatically truncate to the allowed size and proceed to generate spam reports.

...Currently, the parser seems to treat any spam body that includes Chinese characters as "too long," making me diddle the body to remove most or all the Chinese. I don't consider that to be a productive or necessary use of my time as a reporter.

...Thanks for considering this!

In the past, using the cut/paste window, the offer has been made, trimming the spam down to around 50k or so. But, the instances of damaged headers, alternate character sets, and such like 'oddities' has been known to trip the parser a bit. Though it is a generally known issue, it might help if you'd post this spam over in news://news.spamcop.net/spam so there's a known and specific model available if / when Julian gets time to get back to these things (suspecting the current slow-down has him otherwise occupied right now <g>)

It wouldn't hurt to explain the reason for posting, and possibly add an ATTN: Deputies item in the Subject line ....

Sorry JeffG, been busy writing web pages ... just looking at the stats page every now and then ... wondering now whether the or not there's an inplication of some process running wild the last few days. Hard to believe the spam spew shut down that fast, especially when it's still hitting 'here' hard.

Hi, Wazoo,

In the past, using the cut/paste window, the offer has been made, trimming the spam down to around 50k or so.  But, the instances of damaged headers, alternate character sets, and such like 'oddities' has been known to trip the parser a bit. Though it is a generally known issue, it might help if you'd post this spam over in news://news.spamcop.net/spam so there's a known and specific model available if / when Julian gets time to get back to these things (suspecting the current slow-down has him otherwise occupied right now <g>)

It wouldn't hurt to explain the reason for posting, and possibly add an ATTN: Deputies item in the Subject line ....

...Thanks for the suggestion. Not worth the bother, since NNTP is not permitted by my employer, where I do all my spam reporting.

If you want, I set up an incoming mail box to handle a few other issues from folks in here ... want to kick a copy over to me? We'd want it as pristine as possible, though munging your details so I don't overlook anything while posting it wouldn't be a bad idea <g>

If you want, I set up an incoming mail box to handle a few other issues from folks in here ... want to kick a copy over to me?  We'd want it as pristine as possible, though munging your details so I don't overlook anything while posting it wouldn't be a bad idea <g>

...What shall I send -- the request and reason for it? And how?

Archived