SPAM Words

lil_tud

Hello

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction

What im looking for is a website / program that can tall me all words that contain a word, for example if i types in pic it would bring up all the words that contain pic, like topics, pictures etc etc.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of something to use here

What im looking for is a website / program that can tall me all words that contain a word, for example if i types in pic it would bring up all the words that contain pic, like topics, pictures etc etc.

33026[/snapback]

Not a trite question - horrified to find how much stuff doesn't support wild card queries these days and if there's any way to access other than custom dictionaries/lexicons in Word, etc. in searchable form I've not yet stumbled accross it. But Merriam-Webster Online does support wild cards. Just go to http://www.m-w.com/ make sure Merriam Webster Online tab is selected, enter (f'rinstance) *pic* in Merriam Webster Online Dictionary entry window and find 1208 entries. Enjoy.

[Added] Okay, that may be a little rich, you might like to Google to find a more concise dictionary for downloading and searching with standard components (can imagine then constructing a simple query and/or extract process using - say - VBA and Word).

Left a spare computer searching and (eventually) found I have one dictionary that is readable by basic Windows components and if you have Mozilla you probably have it too - that's file en-US.dic, which is tucked away in my system several levels down under Program Files and Mozilla and components in a final directory called myspell.

It will open in Notepad and if you search in Notepad, you don't need the wildcard * (just Ctrl-F "pic" - without quotes - will take you to the successive hits). Still a lot of hits, hence the thought of an extraction process. Use a copy of the dictionary if you do this ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived