Email submission from webmail failing

It's not just spam reporting. In the case of both some .txt attachments, both inline and as an attachment, the text (when downloaded locally -- using Netscape Mail and the POP server) is double-spaced. ZIPping the attachments seems to work -- but I don't know how to apply that to the reporting system.

Okay, here I go again with a bizarre problem that no one else has mentioned (so far as I can tell)...

• I have a folder of messages displayed
  • I check the box next to one of the messages that is in HTML format
  • I click on the "Forward" link above the folder listing.
  • I change the message attachment disposition from "inline" to "attachment" and click on "Update attachment information"
  • I enter the to-address (say, my own SpamCop address).
  • I click "Send Message."

What happens is, the message arrives with the "attachment" displayed in plain text, so I have to read the unrendered HTML. If I forward it back to myself at SpamCop, all of the links to the various parts also show the plain text.

This is also true if I forward it to another service and use Outlook to view it.

In both cases, the text includes the headers. There is a blank line inserted between every line in the message (including the headers).

Here is an obfuscated sample:

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-mynamehere[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 15914 invoked from network); 11 Oct 2005 18:30:17 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.111.1.111)

by blade3.cesmail.net with QMQP; 11 Oct 2005 18:30:17 -0000

Received: from another.place.com (123.456.7.890)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 11 Oct 2005 18:30:00 -0000

Received: from another.com ([12.34.56.789]) by another.place.com with InterScan Messaging Security Suite; Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:49:46 -0400

Message-ID: <20051011110407.900DB22023A8FFAE[at]another.com>

To: mynamehere[at]spamcop.net

Subject: subject matter of message

Reply-To: someone-else[at]another.com

Date: 11 Oct 2005 11:49:47 -0400

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.2 (2004-11-16) on blade3.cesmail.net

X-spam-Level: *

X-spam-Status: hits=1.6 tests=AWL,HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_TAG_EXIST_TBODY,

MIME_HTML_ONLY,NO_REAL_NAME version=3.0.2

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.111.1.111 123.456.7.890 12.34.56.789

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: another.com

<html>

<head>

<META http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8">

... and so on. The line spacing is exactly what I see in Outlook, and what I see in SpamCop webmail is similar if not identical.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Okay, here I go again with a bizarre problem that no one else has mentioned (so far as I can tell)...

34019[/snapback]

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=33664

It does not matter where you forward to, if you use the forward link from the message list, all attachments are getting blank lines inserted. As seen in that thread, last update from JT is he is aware and working on it.

P.S. I am merging this into that thread as soon as I am done here.

P.P.S. Have you tried the forward or redirect from inside the message? Is that also messed up? I only use it for reporting so have no need for the forward inside the message.

Sorry I missed the earlier thread. I see this problem is a symptom of a bigger one.

P.P.S. Have you tried the forward or redirect from inside the message?  Is that also messed up?  I only use it for reporting so have no need for the forward inside the message.

34020[/snapback]

Forwarding from within the message does not provide an option to send as an attachment, so it shows up inline as plain text (as it always has), and it looks fine. The only problem is, I'd like to be able to display it as HTML because the navigation within the message is much easier that way.

But maybe that's useful information (that it shows up without the extra lines).

The current problem appears to be specific to the SpamCop Webmail email software, an implementation of IMP Horde. If you bring your own email software and connect that to imap.spamcop.net or pop.spamcop.net (remembering to leave on server if that's your intent) using the appropriate protocol, you should have no problem with forwarding attachments using your own email software, such as Thunderbird, OE, or even Outlook (yuck!). Unfortunately, mail2web doesn't seem to have that particular capability at present :(

The current problem appears to be specific to the SpamCop Webmail email software, an implementation of IMP Horde.  If you bring your own email software and connect that to imap.spamcop.net or pop.spamcop.net (remembering to leave on server if that's your intent) using the appropriate protocol, you should have no problem with forwarding attachments using your own email software, such as Thunderbird, OE, or even Outlook (yuck!).  Unfortunately, mail2web doesn't seem to have that particular capability at present :(

34056[/snapback]

As stated previously, you can also move all spam to the Held Mail folder and report using the VER interface (that is when you can login, which I can not at present, different topic).

As stated previously, you can also move all spam to the Held Mail folder and report using the VER interface (that is when you can login, which I can not at present, different topic).

34063[/snapback]

Right, but MyNameHere didn't seem to be writing about reporting spam, rather that person seemed to be writing about forwarding wanted HTML-laden email.

Right, but MyNameHere didn't seem to be writing about reporting spam, rather that person seemed to be writing about forwarding wanted HTML-laden email.

34078[/snapback]

Yes, that is correct -- forwarding "wanted HTML-laden email."

I appreciate the suggestion that I could download the mail to a client and forward it from there. I'll try that. Thanks, Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump to this on-going issue and an update that I have tried contacting JT again.

Just a gentle reminder this is still an issue.  I have not been able to use my SpamCop Email accout the way I would like since Oct 4.  It also is affecting another user trying to forward an HTML message to another account for reading.

It's not just spam reporting.  In the case of both some .txt attachments, both inline and as an attachment, the text (when downloaded locally -- using Netscape Mail and the POP server) is double-spaced.  ZIPping the attachments seems to work -- but I don't know how to apply that to the reporting system.

33839[/snapback]

Do you mean, zip them before sending? Maybe that will work.

I just received some text file attachments and even when I downloaded them in the zip file ("Download All Attachments (in .zip file)") there were extra lines.

In case that bit of info helps anyone...

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Newest message from JT:And it seems to be working.  I am marking this issue resolved.

35707[/snapback]

This issue has reared it's ugly head again from my system. I have sent another message off to JT.

Also, could an active moderator remove the [Resolved} tag from the subject?

• 5 months later...

Has there been anything better than the copy-and-paste solution?

This issue affects approximately one-half of my web mail spam (one-third of my total spam), for which copying and pasting gets old in a hurry. :blink:

I gave up the email option a while ago (unfortunately) and now use VER. I quick report my held mail, then transfer any false negatives into my Held Mail folder, click the Report spam button, and login with the same account information (reporting account associated with webmail), click the Held Mail tab, click the Check All link, pull down the -- Select Action -- and choose Queue for reporting (and move to trash). Then I Click Release/Delete Messages button and go to the Report spam tab and confirm as I would normally.

Thanks for the extremely prompt reply, Steven.

Since I have a reporting-only account, I was hoping for some more-encouraging news.

Maybe this variety of spam will be only temporary; but if the spammers find out they have a format that's difficult to report, it'll be around for a long time. :angry:

Thanks for the extremely prompt reply, Steven.

Since I have a reporting-only account, I was hoping for some more-encouraging news.

Maybe this variety of spam will be only temporary; but if the spammers find out they have a format that's difficult to report, it'll be around for a long time. :angry:

Then you should be able to use email submission. It was only spamcop webmail that had the problem discussed in this thread

If you are looking at the "Reporting Server Status" at the top of the Forum Pages, you will quickly realize that the displayed date in no longer current. If you click on the chart and scroll down to the weekly view, it seems to be working OK and indicates that reporting is back on line.

Unfortunately, the displayed daily link appears to be broken.

Update: reporting graph is back on line.

Then you should be able to use email submission. It was only spamcop webmail that had the problem discussed in this thread

Sorry for my confusion. This is the only SpamCop thread that contains "error:No IP found"; and I didn't read closely enough to notice it's not about the same kind of webmail. If there's a better place for this post in the Forum, please help me move it.

Here's what's happening, or rather what isn't happening:

I'm having a problem reporting some of my Yahoo spam that I've downloaded to OE using POP3 software.

About a month ago, I started receiving 17KB messages with blank Subject headers that returned that Error whenever I forwarded them to SpamCop as attachments to either my "quick" or "submit" address. All other Yahoo spam continues to be reported successfully by this means.

The only way I can report these 17KB subject-less messages is one at a time by the copy-and-paste method.

Either I'm the only one experiencing this problem, or else I'm the only one who hasn't discovered the obvious solution.

Sorry for my confusion. This is the only SpamCop thread that contains "error:No IP found"; and I didn't read closely enough to notice it's not about the same kind of webmail. If there's a better place for this post in the Forum, please help me move it.

Here's what's happening, or rather what isn't happening:

I'm having a problem reporting some of my Yahoo spam that I've downloaded to OE using POP3 software.

About a month ago, I started receiving 17KB messages with blank Subject headers that returned that Error whenever I forwarded them to SpamCop as attachments to either my "quick" or "submit" address. All other Yahoo spam continues to be reported successfully by this means.

The only way I can report these 17KB subject-less messages is one at a time by the copy-and-paste method.

Either I'm the only one experiencing this problem, or else I'm the only one who hasn't discovered the obvious solution.

I receive maybe one a day that has (showing in webmail) invalid address and invalid date. There have not been enough of them for me to worry about. I quick report them through webmail. The report fails, but as I said, I'm too busy right now to care.

Mine have valid addresses and dates; only the Subject is blank.

Yesterday I received 26 of them.

OK — I'll deal with it. I just hope somebody else is reporting all those zombies because, most of the time, that's too much effort for such little personal reward.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived