Now I've done it

shmengie

My Junk mail reception has increased 3 fold the past two days.

The volume of typical spam seems average. There's a slew of what I can only considered to be spam, but its origin apears to be from a semi - legitimate sources.

I must have really aggrevated a spammer. In turn, they have some sort of web crawler running around the web signing me up to be spammed by domaines who accept e-mail addresses on their webpages.

I feel a little guilty reporting all this rubbish as spam, but I didn't subscribe for this crud.

Today, I've recieved 50 spams and it's not even Noon yet. For the past 30 days I've been enjoying a relatively low volume of spam, with a maximum of 34 spams in one day and as few as 9 on several days.

Oy!

Am I the only victem? Is there any others being harrassed in this fashion?

-Joe

It's been a couple of years that this happened to me. On the other hand, it turned out to be a 16 year-old, upstate New York .. ISP owner grew up with the kid's folks ... this situation actually started with e-mail bombing, fairly easy to stop and track. That got the kid's computer privileges suspended for a while. The "sign-ups" started a bit later, and working with the ISPs, hosts, and site-owners, it ended up going back to the kid using his Dad's office computer ... as I understand it, that next Father - Son conversation was a doozy <g> But again, that was ancient history. It's been quite a while that someone has been able to report an actual retribution 'attack' ....

Based on your suggested theory that "websites with a crappy sign-up form" should receive a 'nice' letter to the webmaster of the site and the hosting ISP. Whether it's an abused scri_pt or just bad practice, notifications of the abuse should be sent to the appropriate folks as a courtesy (suggesting that the swear words be left out, at least in the first conact <g>)

I may be grasping at straws here.

Starting to believe that someone I know has recently contracted a new infection or strain or trojan and this e-mail has consiquently ended up has ended up on a new (to me) spammer's list.

There is also a possibility that one ISP has changed their filtering practices.... hmmm. Although these spams seem to be more legit than my past experiences, validity has not been researched to verify one way or another.

Saw a few addresses today originate and containing links that resolve to the same domain. Time must be allocated to research who what where when. This seems to be an atypical spammer tactic.

The to/from addresses used are old, names changed since, etc... So I'm still guessing at what's going on.

Ratz man! I don't want to be in the 100-150 spams a day league. It's got me thinking about ways to re-write my reporting machine to further expedite the reporting process. :(

Muahahahahahahahaha!!!

Brainstorm! Thunderbird files spams nicely into a folder for me. I've been cutting and pasting spams into my reporting machine. But!!! I've been doing it the hard way!

I can read the Thunderbird Junk file and completely automating spam reporting. Althought it's a relatively simple task to cut/paste, it is time consuming. Complete automation requires better filtering tho, I've used the cut/paste method to avoid reporting mis-files. Hmmm... I'll get this figured out and spend less time reporting yet!

Muahahahahahahahaha!!!

Brainstorm!Ā  Thunderbird files spams nicely into a folder for me.Ā  I've been cutting and pasting spams into my reporting machine.Ā  But!!!Ā  I've been doing it the hard way!Ā 

I can read the Thunderbird Junk file and completely automating spam reporting.Ā  Althought it's a relatively simple task to cut/paste, it is time consuming.Ā  Complete automation requires better filtering tho, I've used the cut/paste method to avoid reporting mis-files.Ā  Hmmm...Ā  I'll get this figured out and spend less time reporting yet!

33683[/snapback]

I use Thunderbird too and was forwarding each spam individually until I read that I could attach multiple emails in one submission. Just select all new spam in the Junk folder, right-click on them and select 'Forward as an attachment'.

I wait until SpamCop has acknowledged receipt and then go staight to 'Report spam' where it will be noted that I have saved spam to report and keep clicking on the link until it comes up clear.

Paul

I use Thunderbird too and was forwarding each spam individually until I read that I could attach multiple emails inĀ  one submission. Just select all new spam in the Junk folder, right-click on them and select 'Forward as an attachment'.

I wait until SpamCop has acknowledged receipt and then go staight to 'Report spam' where it will be noted that I have saved spam to report and keep clicking on the link until it comes up clear.

33701[/snapback]

Have the nerve to write up a step-by-step for the How To Use ... Forum?

• 1 month later...
Have the nerve to write up a step-by-step for the How To Use ... Forum?

33702[/snapback]

First, the settings in Thunderbird;

Edit > Preferences

Composition Tab 'Forward messages: as attachment'

Advanced Tab, Privacy 'Block loading of remote images in mail messages'

Second, how to report spam in blocks.

I have set my preferences with my ISP so that their filtering does not pre-filter any spam I receive and I allow Thunderbird to do the filtering. This suits me as the number of spam emails I get is rather low and I want to report them all. With Bayesian filtering in place most spam find their way directly to my 'Junk' folder in Thunderbird.

After a quick review to ensure that no genuine emails are included, I do the following: --

1) Select all spam that I wish to forward. [easy if view set to 'Recent']

1.1) Edit > Select All

1.2) Ctr +A

1.3) Select the first, scroll to the last, holding the 'Shift' key down click on the last to select all from first to last.

2) Right-click on the selection and choose 'Forward as attachments'.

This will open a new email with all selected spam emails included as attachments.

3) Enter my SpamCop forwarding address in the 'To' field.

With the address already set up in my address book, all it takes is to type 'sp'[enter] to select the forwarding

address.

4) Send email with no 'body' required and 'Subject' optional, and wait for it to be acknowledged.

5) Once I have the acknowledgment back, go to my SpamCop web page for reporting spam [http://www.spamcop.net/], sign in and click on the link which says 'You have unreported spam'.

6) Review the output and when satisfied send the reports.

6.1 )The biggest difficulty I have is to get the parser to recognise some embedded URLs. I have found that using the 'Back' button in Firefox to go back to the 'Report spam' page and input the URL [copied from the report] by itself. This may need to be repeated too but usually gets over the hurdle and reports the Spamvertised site as well as the sending URL when I again click the 'You have unreported spam' button.

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until done.

I keep Firefox open with my Web Mail on one Tab, SpamCop reporting on another and DNS Stuff

[http://www.dnsstuff.com/] on another. That way I can monitor what is going on and research stuff easily.

This scheme works for me as I have a small load to deal with. Others might like to comment on what works for them.

Paul

Paul, thank you for your input.

I have taken the liberty of copying it and posting the contents in two separate locations:

1) How We Use SpamCop, Detailed Examples

2) How to use .... > SpamCop Reporting .... > How to use Thunderbird to report multiple emails, One users step by step example

Thank you also for your excellent comments regarding an interesting approach to how to deal with the ever growing amount of spam attacking our inboxes posted at this link

Archived