antivirus stamps

Dirty Harry

I use the NOD32 antivirus system which stamps, at the bottom, all incoming and outgoing email as certified virus free. I have noticed when emailing spam to SC that the nod32 email address is present in the reporting data. I'm no netguru so I have no idea what all those addresses are doing in the report but I don't think I need to know, do I??<g>

Question is: Is SC reporting the nod32 folks as spam violators? If so, can I just delete the certification from the bottom of the email to illiminate the problem? Their address is not present in the headers.

If SC is not reporting nod32, why then is their address included in the report and can I just leave the stamp on the bottom of the spam I send to SC?

Thanks

DH

please post a tracking URL so that we can take a look at a sample.

Edit:

if you're not sure how to do this, see the FAQ.

This post might also be helpful:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4498

33747[/snapback]

There is no report ID since I didn't report it when I saw the address in the report list. Here is the stamp that exists at the bottom of my emails.

__________ NOD32 1.1241 (20051004) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.

http://www.eset.com

I use the NOD32 antivirus system which stamps, at the bottom, all incoming and outgoing email as certified virus free.

If the "stamping" on youe incoming makes you feel good, keep right on doing that. I send my e-mail as plain-text only, no attachments. "Virus" issue resolved. Those that place 100% trust in a tool that is of the "after-the-fact" type is leaning towards the 'silly' .... and the stuff floating around out that that also includes those nonsensical statements .. this is not spam .. this is not a virus .. just click here to be removed ... absurd ... all you are doing is free advertising for the product with those "outgoing" stamps.

I have noticed when emailing spam to SC that the nod32 email address is present in the reporting data.  I'm no netguru so I have no idea  what all those addresses are doing in the report but I don't think I need to know, do I??<g>

Question is:  Is SC reporting the nod32 folks as spam violators?  If so, can I just delete the certification from the bottom of the email to illiminate the problem?  Their address is not present in the headers.

Suggest you take some time and go back to ground zero on using the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting toolset. The 'parser' attempts to analyze the item you submitted as spam. The results of that analysis are presented to you. You are the "tool" that then makes a decision on which reports go out and to where. Nothing happens until you hit the next action button. You are the ultimate responsibility for anything leaving the SpamCop Reporting part of the tool in relationship to your submittal.

If SC is not reporting nod32, why then is their address included in the report and can I just leave the stamp on the bottom of the spam I send to SC?

33746[/snapback]

Repeat .... You do the Reporting, selecting from the options made available by the Parser .... Have I mentioned that "you" are responsible for which reports go out and where they are sent?

There is no report ID since I didn't report it when I saw the address in the report list.http://www.eset.com

33748[/snapback]

Nothing was said about a Report-ID: .... What was suggested was a Tracking URL, which is available on that screen you've described this far as "reporting all those addresses" .... and as you state that this line is on every e-mail, you submit your spam via e-mail, there is a Tracking URL at the top of every successful Parse .. it's even identified as a Tracking URL .. Sharp-eyed folks will notice that it's actually a copy of the URL of the exact web page you're looking at ....

If the "stamping" on youe incoming makes you feel good, keep right on doing that.  I send my e-mail as plain-text only, no attachments.  "Virus" issue resolved.  Those that place 100% trust in a tool that is of the "after-the-fact" type is leaning towards the 'silly' .... and the stuff floating around out that that also includes those nonsensical statements .. this is not spam .. this is not a virus .. just click here to be removed ... absurd ... all you are doing is free advertising for the product with those "outgoing" stamps.

Gee, no kidding. I guess I'm just "silly" then. At any rate I have no feelings one way or another with regard to the absurdity of the stamp. I have no control over the stamp beyond disabling the software altogether. I also fail to understand how the behaviour of my antivirus software is at all germain to my question regarding spam reports.

Suggest you take some time and go back to ground zero on using the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting toolset.  The 'parser' attempts to analyze the item you submitted as spam.  The results of that analysis are presented to you.  You are the "tool" that then makes a decision on which reports go out and to where.  Nothing happens until you hit the next action button.  You are the ultimate responsibility for anything leaving the SpamCop Reporting part of the tool in relationship to your submittal.

Repeat .... You do the Reporting, selecting from the options made available by the Parser .... Have I mentioned that "you" are responsible for which reports go out and where they are sent?

Um yeah, I think you mentioned that and I even understood it the first time. "Silly" though I may be. The tracking URL is only visible at the analysis level as you know. I did NOT go on to the next reporting phase since I was not sure about the nod32 url being picked up. For this reason I could not supply a tracking URL. If there is another way of retrieving it then I am ignorant of it. It really doesn't matter anyway. I asked a very simple question which has really grown out of proportion and I frankly find your response a tad on the snotty side. I will simply cut the "silly" line from whatever spam I report in the future and that should remedy any problems that could result from it.

Thanks

DH

Nothing was said about a Report-ID: .... What was suggested was a Tracking URL, which is available on that screen you've described this far as "reporting all those addresses" .... and as you state that this line is on every e-mail, you submit your spam via e-mail, there is a Tracking URL at the top of every successful Parse .. it's even identified as a Tracking URL ..  Sharp-eyed folks will notice that it's actually a copy of the URL of the exact web page you're looking at ....

Well, good for you and those sharp eyed folks. Guess I'll just hang out down here with silly ones.

33749[/snapback]

The second and third line of the page you were on showing the check marks displays:

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=x

As for the reports, they will be sent until their abuse desk contacts spamcop to get them marked as an Innocent Bystander or they reply to a report that they do not want such reports. Other AV software has the same setup. AVG (which I use) does not include a link to their site and does not have the problem.

As for deleteing the link, the deputies have recently stated that no manipulation of spam should be necessary. It may be considered a material change, even though it is your system adding the message.

I also fail to understand how the behaviour of my antivirus software is at all germain to my question regarding spam reports.

One picks up knowledge wherever one finds it. The "but I have an antivirus thing installed" routine foesn't work when the data/definition files haven't been updated in years. That the "secure" feeling exists even though the virus/trojan creators are developing new versions every day ... contsted to the antivirus tool / author has to see / have reported the new version, analyze it, write a routine to see (possibly fix) it, make that file available, end-user needs to download and apply it ... well, that "secure" feeling shouldn't be so warm and fuzzy .. yet ....

Um yeah, I think you mentioned that and I even understood it the first time.  "Silly" though I may be.

That it's in a different color, the FAQ here has entries on it, the Glossary here has an entry to explain it, numerous previous posts include this subject matter, and yet ...once again it comes up ..????

The tracking URL is only visible at the analysis level as you know.  I did NOT go on to the next reporting phase since I was not sure about the nod32 url being picked up.

Thus the suggestion to do some (re)reading of the procedures, rules, instructions, tutorials, etc.

For this reason I could not supply a tracking URL.  If there is another way of retrieving it then I am ignorant of it.

Worst case, resubmit, copy the data, hit Cancel ... again, documented in a number of places ...

It really doesn't matter anyway.   I asked a very simple question which has really grown out of proportion and I frankly find your response a tad on the snotty side.

You asked a question. You received factual answers, suggestions, guidance, pointers, and some extra.

"snotty" ??? whatever ...

I will simply cut the "silly" line from whatever spam I report in the future and that should remedy any problems that could result from it.

Apperently, none of this has yet sunk in ...???? If you see the nod32 item in the list of complaint targets, uncheck it before you hit the Send button ...

Well, good for you and those sharp eyed folks.  Guess I'll just hang out down here with silly ones.

Whatever ...

The second and third line of the page you were on showing the check marks displays:

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=x

As for the reports, they will be sent until their abuse desk contacts spamcop to get them marked as an Innocent Bystander or they reply to a report that they do not want such reports.  Other AV software has the same setup.  AVG (which I use) does not include a link to their site and does not have the problem.

As for deleteing the link, the deputies have recently stated that no manipulation of spam should be necessary.  It may be considered a material change, even though it is your system adding the message.

33766[/snapback]

Well, I thank you very much sir. What a wonderfully simple answer to a very simple question. I realize now that I should have submitted another message with the stamp to get the tracking URL. duh! Thanks for the reply to my "delete the link" question. I will simply uncheck the appropriate line from the report in the future.

PS. I knew a Steve Underwood in the service many many years ago.

there is a Tracking URL at the top of every successful Parse .. it's even identified as a Tracking URL ..  Sharp-eyed folks will notice that it's actually a copy of the URL of the exact web page you're looking at ....

33749[/snapback]

Technically, that's only correct if you are using www.spamcop.net - if you are using members.spamcop.net or mailsc.spamcop.net, you should substitute "www" for "members" or "mailsc" before posting any Tracking URL to almost all of the Forums on this site, while you can leave "mailsc" if posting to the exception (the SpamCop Email System & Accounts Forum).

Archived