An Unhappy Newbie Am I...,

Wazoo

Brought here from a PM.....

Hello-

I just registered with SpamCop this past weekend, and I am NOT having a good experience with it so far.

It has only been within the past week or so where I have been getting more spam than usual in my inbox,and I came across your site on the ATT Worldnet Member Services page. I thought I'd give it a try,but I may have made a mistake.I have had nothing but problems since registering. When I attempt to forward spam to the address provided (as directed), I am getting automated error messages stating that the spam message could not be found in the email,but as a test, when I forwarded one of the error messages,that was accepted! What is going on??!!

At this point, I am very annoyed and am very seriously considering closing this account; it has only been a very short time,true,but I do not see where this service is working.

Where do I start (especially after all the other nice discussions this last week-end?)

1. please see Spammers love Forum name = e-mail address

2. 24 hours and 1 week views of some SpamCop.net reporting activity seems to suggest that it most certainly is working.

3. Following the Start Here item seen in the Forum list/front page (noting the commentary in red there) .. or reading the Announcement within a Forum section titled [How-to] Post a Question .... one of the items of note is the help us help you thing .. details lacking in your PM (that should have been an actual post) include the most basic of specifics ... the e-mail application involved. You also didn't define the location of the "(as directed)" instructions, so not sure where you've been, what you've looked at.

As found on the first page of the Forum, Start Here The problems you describe are already discussed, answers provided in the FAQ data. follow the links provided. The "easy" guess is that you'll be wanting to look for "How do I get ... Full Headers" and find the listing for your e-mail application (hoping that you're using something that someone else has provided the details on) .... I could even go with the thought that one of the standard "newbie" scenarios is a Windows based computer running Outlook Express, at which point I would offer up OE6 Secure handling of e-mail, Why Forward won't work as the most likely situation/solution. (Caveat that all this would be based on guesses, which is not a good thing)

You could spend some time and simply peruse some existing Topics/Discussions here ... you'll note you are not the first to ask this question (hence the FAQ entries) .. you'll also see some other issues discussed that will come up after you get your submittals to parse correctly .... you may even hit a spot where you might be able to answer someone else's query ....???

PM sent to user, with link provided to this Topic.

Went back to adding stuff to the KnowledgeBase / FAQ thing, took a look and noticed that SpamCop Parsing & Reporting Service :: How do I submit spam via email? was already in place ... took a look at it, firguring it was good spot to start looking for the next items to add that would follow that ... and came across a user-entered comment ... this a definite complaint I'm going to raise with the author of this application ... of course, noting that I create a section for "issues with this thing" and haven't gotten around to filling that section up yet ..

That said; Plastered posted a comment there the following;

Sorry this seems pretty basic but I'm new to all this and don't understand some of the terminology.

I've tried submitting spam messages by attaching to an email addressed to the supplied address but I keep getting back:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

Any assistance be appreciated thanks

To which I'll start with "see the above" ....

But I'll also note that even though it's obvious that an attempt to hit "the FAQ" was attempted, the particular link used went to the venue that is described as "under work" .. please see new link up top

A specific response to Plastered's query is that "attaching a message to an e-mail " might work, does work for some, but this all baseed on the e-mail application involved, some configuration settings, and one can't discount the things that are involved in any cut/paste/move operation ... which is noted that none of this data was provided in your comment/query ....

PM sent to Plastered about this "movement" and re-posting of the posted "comment" here ....

A specific response to Plastered's query is that "attaching a message to an e-mail " might work, does work for some, but this all baseed on the e-mail application involved, some configuration settings, and one can't discount the things that are involved in any cut/paste/move operation ... which is noted that none of this data was provided in your comment/query ....

PM sent to Plastered about this "movement" and re-posting of the posted "comment" here ....

34772[/snapback]

Ok, sorry if I got it wrong posting this query and thanks for the response but as I said I really am out of my depth with all this technical stuff and having followed links to links to links still haven't been able to find what I need to do to successfully submit the spam emails to you. I didn't use "cut and paste" but went through Insert/Item then pointed to the offending emails. I use Outlook 2003 (MS Office Standard Edition for Students & Teachers).

Ok, sorry if I got it wrong posting this query and thanks for the response but as I said I really am out of my depth with all this technical stuff and having followed links to links to links still haven't been able to find what I need to do to successfully submit the spam emails to you. I didn't use "cut and paste" but went through Insert/Item then pointed to the offending emails. I use Outlook 2003 (MS Office Standard Edition for Students & Teachers).

34818[/snapback]

As dbiel notes, your problem is almost certainly that you are attempting to submit your reports from within Outlook. Hopefully the link he provided will help you fix the problem.

But don't expect your junk Email problem to go away.

Reporting helps the whole community of Email users filter their Email based on the SpamCop block list. Many ISPs use it but not all do. If yours already does then reporting will help you tackle the problem. If your ISP or you (if you run your own mailserver) do not use the SpamCop blocklist then reprting junk Email will have absolutely no effect on your incoming mail.

Of course your reports will help those of us that do use the SBL and for that I thank you in advance.

But to tackle spam you need to not only report items but also implement a suitable blocking strategy as well.

Andrew

Thanks for all the suggestions but it's all too much for me and it sounds uncertain that it will work anyway. So I'll just revert to deleting the junk as it turns up.

34928[/snapback]

...Sorry it didn't work out for you. Thanks for trying!

...And if you ever feel the urge to give it another try, please don't hesitate to come on back and ask specific questions. I'll be happy to help, as I also use Outlook to submit my spam (and most successfully).

Archived