Setting up a new Website.

ayerschad

Hello. I'm going to be setting up a website that I'd be offering a referral program on. I looking for a way to prevent spam being created due to my offers from registered users. Anyone have suggestions of a system I could put in place to prevent this. Also does anyone know of some news groups I could post this type of question to?

Moderator edit: Title changed from "Help" to something I hope is a bit more discriptive of the request.

Whatever you do you need a means for ensuring that those who sign up really are the ones that wanted to sign up.

So, some means of confirming the subscription request is essential.

It really boils down to using a mailing package that complies with the principles for running responsible mailing lists - the link Jeff G points to gives the principles. I'm not sure what software folk would recommend. The Mailman package is well received.

Andrew

Hello.  I'm going to be setting up a website that I'd be offering a referral program on.  I looking for a way to prevent spam being created due to my offers from registered users.

<snip>

34881[/snapback]

...You're being proactive to avoid being a spam source -- you're my hero! :) <g>

...Jeff G's reply is key. Another thing you might consider is avoiding having your PC taken over by malware. See the SpamCop Suggested Tools and Applications Forum, especially "Net security" and (if you use a Windows OS) "Suggested Free Security Tools and Apps for Windows."

...Good luck, and THANKS!

Archived