Can't continue parsing. DNS-server-error; Try to refresh this page later.

When I try to report a spam using the SpamCop reporting service, I am getting a 

message.

1. Is anyone else getting the same error or is it just me?

2. Is this a SpamCop issue or an DNS issue with the source of the spam for SpamCop has no control over?

3. If this is a SpamCop issue, is SpamCop already aware of the issue? If they are not aware, how should I report it?

Thank you.

1. I also have been getting it since about yesterday. For me, I just immediately refresh the page and it might work.
2. Most of mine have been with the various URL redirectors, so probably one of the DNS servers at SpamCop might be having trouble getting out.
3. I have not reported anything yet. If it was a big issue and wouldn't work, I would report it to the deputies, but since a refresh gets it to work, your reporting it here should be okay.

For me, this used to be occasional and refreshing would usually work. Now, I have to wait some time, refresh, and maybe it will work or maybe I have to wait a while longer. Not sure it's related, but the amount of spam I receive seems to be increasing.

Over the past few days, I've encountered the following error several times when manually submitting spam to SpamCop in the web interface:

Eventually it goes through after a few refreshes.

Edited by LaserMoon
added more information

On 4/23/2023 at 9:20 AM, rossmpersonal said:

When I try to report a spam using the SpamCop reporting service, I am getting a 

message.

Same but when I tried just now to refresh, the system got in a knot and I got a duplicate reports message and they had to be removed first.

The problem resolved itself soon after that so I reckon the SC server was down or busy unsetting spammers?

Edited by ninth
SC

I started seeing the DNS error yesterday. Like others, I found refresh resolved usually after one or two tries. It did seem to get worse with time though.

13 hours ago, anyone8 said:

the amount of spam I receive seems to be increasing.

It has been bad for me too through March/April with higher levels of prizes/surveys and recently “love interest” - and the fake invoices (refund scam GeekSquad etc.) plus there’s a Fake Facebook Signin Alert which comes multiple times per day.

Is it a coincidence that the forum is under a spam attack with new members registered posting airline tickets and intuit quick books nonsensically.

Edited by Hanco

2 hours ago, Hanco said:

I started seeing the DNS error yesterday. Like others, I found refresh resolved usually after one or two tries. It did seem to get worse with time though.

It has been bad for me too through March/April with higher levels of prizes/surveys and recently “love interest” - and the fake invoices (refund scam GeekSquad etc.) plus there’s a Fake Facebook Signin Alert which comes multiple times per day.

Is it a coincidence that the forum is under a spam attack with new members registered posting airline tickets and intuit quick books nonsensically.

Interesting. I'd been seeing the error saying it can't continue parsing because of a DNS error occasionally for a while, but it seemed like it was happening with every spam I reported yesterday. Today, it seems to be fine.

As for the increase in spam, I didn't think to mention a time-frame, but it seems like just the last few days or week for me. More and more of them don't display a message body (Hotmail accessed via web browser) but somehow SpamCop finds links that it would report if I didn't uncheck them (call me paranoid, but I assume if the email appears blank but SpamCop finds a link, the spammer might be trying to cause a false report).

It's hard to say on the forum spam. I briefly tried to run a forum for Linux users, and only got spam posts. So it seems spammers find and spam forums even if no one else finds them. On the other hand, I long ago (could have been way back when SpamCop had newsgroups accessed via a newsreader) read that some of this stuff comes because SpamCop has an impact on spammers.

1 hour ago, Hanco said:

I cannot get spamcop.net to load. That’s what my browser shows on the page after trying. Is it just me or are others seeing the same today?

First I got "500 Internal Server Error" then I clicked on the "spamcop.net" link at the top of the page and got the "directive" error.

8 hours ago, anyone8 said:

First I got "500 Internal Server Error" then I clicked on the "spamcop.net" link at the top of the page and got the "directive" error.

Looks like they fixed the errors I mentioned earlier. Then I got the "Can't continue parsing. DNS-server-error; Try to refresh this page later." It seems better this afternoon, so hopefully they fixed that too. I guess time will tell.

News: (Last Modified: 4/25/2023, 4:05:15 PM -0700)

System Outages

Some users are experiencing issues with connecting to SpamCop and receiving
various errors when trying to parse and report spam. We are aware of the issues,
caused by internal infrastructure problems. Our Network Operations teams are
working hard to get this resolved.
Thank you for your patience.

Went to report a spam and saw the above. Thought I'd put it here in case spamcop itself isn't loading for anyone. Good to know they're working on it.

I see there is a know issue, so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

For me, it has been going on for days. It seems to actually be getting worse as the days go on. The last couple reports I tried to submit this evening I had to refreshed about a dozen times each before the DNS error went away and I could submit them.

4 hours ago, petzl said:

SpamCop reporting site very slow after waiting..... Waiting another sign in appears.... then another.... then another?

I don’t get the sign in required. But I am experiencing the reporting challenges that are mentioned here in the thread and in the notice on the report page now.

2 hours ago, FeMaster said:

I see there is a know issue, so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

For me, it has been going on for days. It seems to actually be getting worse as the days go on. The last couple reports I tried to submit this evening I had to refreshed about a dozen times each before the DNS error went away and I could submit them.

Yeah it has been happening a few days now, then today it was the worst it could be (coincidentally the same day as what appeared to be the most spam attacking the forum). On that topic, we seem to have a few new members joined in the past 4-7 hours but nothing like the large number of new account influx seen 17 hours ago…

4 hours ago, stolen time said:

I am still getting the DNS-Server-Error messages for some reports, and the errors rarely go away when I refresh!   It seems to happen more often than not, but perhaps that's because my system happens to be the target of a wave of spam that contains strange URLs.

Not just you 👍

Until certain ISPs get their head out of the sand and sort out their customers, we’ll have this problem of well constructed spam continue. Most seem willing to take the action required. Just 2 I know of that are real obstinate. So while they continue, they are getting reports and sub reports filed in detail.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, anyone8 said:

News: (Last Modified: 4/25/2023, 4:05:15 PM -0700)

System Outages

Some users are experiencing issues with connecting to SpamCop and receiving
various errors when trying to parse and report spam. We are aware of the issues,
caused by internal infrastructure problems. Our Network Operations teams are
working hard to get this resolved.
Thank you for your patience.

SpamCop Seems working effortlessly  now.