[Resolved] Parsing should detect contact email addresses

redtuna

I note that 419-type emails usually have a contact email address, often a Yahoo or Hotmail account.

Currently, Spamcop does not send reports to those ISPs.

I usually manually copy the email to the appropriate abuse department with addition to subject line "spam email uses XXX account for contact address".

I then subsequently get a message from (say) Yahoo implying that they have closed down the rogue account.

It would be useful if Spamcop could itself generate an abuse report to the ISPs for email addresses found within the body of the message - these could be left 'unchecked' by default in the reporting web page, so that 'humans' like me could then decide that they also wanted to get the account reported.

The requested "feature" was dropped years ago for just the reasons that you suggest would be "good" .. too many users putting check marks into each and every box available, no other research conducted .. basically, those included addresses are usually either bogus or belonging to someone else .. imagine your shock when your address ends up being included in a spam and reported ...

so, you can specify that one particular "type" of spam 'usually' has a valid address, yet the SpamCop parser is not a "content" type decision making tool. Thus with 99% of embedded addresses seen in the past as bogus .... again, those were dropped from the reporting list/analysis.

Thus with 99% of embedded addresses seen in the past as bogus .... again, those were dropped from the reporting list/analysis.

35475[/snapback]

The ones I report to ISPs are the contact address included by the spammer - of course, the originating email address cannot be trusted.

I understand your concern, but find it a shame that Spamcop is not interested in shutting down spammers' contact emails. Maybe you could do this manually at your end - your system could collect the contact email addresses, and then on a regular basis with human oversight, could send out the ISP 'abuse' notifications.

So currently if I get a 419 in my Yahoo Inbox, I -

1) send to Spamcop

2) if there is a contact address from a large ISP, forward the email to the 'abuse[at]..'

3) click the 'spam' button

The ones I report to ISPs are the contact address included by the spammer - of course, the originating email address cannot be trusted.

No debate offered on this, just pointing out that this type of spam with a "valid" e-mal address for a contact is a very small percentage of 'all' spam.

I understand your concern, but find it a shame that Spamcop is not interested in shutting down spammers' contact emails. Maybe you could do this manually at your end - your system

You are talking to a volunteer user here (as are most of the other readers of this Forum) .. it may be semantics, but ... I pointed out that this process was dropped years ago because of actions by users, who agreed that "they were responsible for the reports that the SpamCop toolset generated" ... both which targets were identified and which reports actually got sent.

could collect the contact email addresses, and then on a  regular basis with human oversight, could send out the ISP 'abuse' notifications.

So currently if I get a 419 in my Yahoo Inbox, I -

1) send to Spamcop

2) if there is a contact address from a large ISP, forward the email to the 'abuse[at]..'

3) click the 'spam' button

35614[/snapback]

Please take a look at the "Reporting Server Status" graphic at the top of this page. Please click on that graphic. Please read some of the text seen on that screen. For instance, as I type this, I see an interesting factoid of "9.1 messages per second" ... Once you absorb that, then I'll invite you to visit Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff and ask if you could pick out just which of those folks might be "the one" to do this "manual" oversight ....???? Notice the "volunteer" status of most names there, the implication that there is life outside of SpamCop going on. My eyes are bad enough, I know I couldn't read 9.1 messages per second and handle the reporting actions on top of that <g>

"You" have the power of adding additional notifies to a SpamCop report, there is nothing to prevent you from generating your own complaint ...????

If you want to report the 419 email drops (which a lot of people do because they agree it is important), it is not that difficult to do 'manually' if you have the time.

OTOH, there are people who do report these email addresses. So if you don't have time or don't want to learn how to do it, there are people who are reporting them. For many of the abuse addresses, one report (with details) gets them cancelled.

There are people who, not only agree that it is important to report these email addresses, but are computer savvy enough to do it without very much effort. SpamCop Powers That Be put reporting the source of the email at the head of their priority list. Since the email addresses are being reported by others and since SpamCop reports were polluted by those who didn't read the FAQ and check the reports before sending and thus reported innumerable truly innocent email addresses, SpamCop admin decided that reporting email addresses was better left to those who could do it without the SpamCop parser help.

HTH

Miss Betsy

"You" have the power of adding additional notifies to a SpamCop report
Please note that this option (User Notification Reports) is not available to Free Reporters. Please see the newly modified SpamCop Account Types.

35619[/snapback]

...But please also note that free users do have an analogous option: Preferences (button) | Report Handling Options (link) | Public standard report recipients. This allows you to enter e-mail addresses, separated by a space, up to 100 characters.

...Having pointed this out, I feel obligated to mention that this will not address the request that is the subject of this thread. :( <frown>

...But please also note that free users do have an analogous option: Preferences (button) | Report Handling Options (link) | Public standard report recipients. This allows you to enter e-mail addresses, separated by a space, up to 100 characters.

35635[/snapback]

There is also "Personal copies of outgoing reports" on the same page, one email address only.

Archived