spamcop notifications not working

ewv

The spamcop "SpamCop has accepted 1 email for processing" alerts have stopped arriving for forwarded spam. A few arrived sporadically earlier this afternoon; now there aren't any. Occasional "unreported email" still spontaneously appears on the web site under my (paid) account but it is no where near the amount of forwarded spam.

Please email "service at admin.spamcop.net" about this issue. If you don't get any response after half a business day PST, please try again. Thanks!

Is spamcop having problems? I sent in spam 2 hours ago and still haven't received a single reply.

Yesterday it was taking half a day to get the responses, and I noticed when I do get them,

the webpage is taking a long time to respond when I hit submit.

Something seems to be happening - I paste my stuff to the submission window, having 'lost' a few emails in the past and experiencing delays with others - but processing time *does* seem to be up at the moment.

I noticed something in a recent spamcop response which might be indicative -

'anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net bounces (102 sent : 23203 bounces)'.

This is all white man's magic to me but the bounces seem a trifle exuberant, especially if other sources are (maybe) doing the same?

Please email "service at admin.spamcop.net" about this issue.  If you don't get any response after half a business day PST, please try again.  Thanks!

Please do *not* ask people to remail the same problem -- we get backed up on the mail and you may not receive a response in half a day or in a whole day. And sometimes, sad to say it might be longer.

WRT slowness problems -- posting about them is fine. Oddly enough we also use the system and tend to find that the system is slow right around the time everyone else does. And if we notice the system seems slow then we read the newsgroups to see of anyone else has noticed the same thing :-)

Oh and BTW none of the deputies are in PST timezone ... altho the servers happen to be there. And we tend to keep strange hours ...

Please email "service at admin.spamcop.net" about this issue.  If you don't get any response after half a business day PST, please try again.  Thanks!

Please do *not* ask people to remail the same problem -- we get backed up on the mail and you may not receive a response in half a day or in a whole day. And sometimes, sad to say it might be longer.

WRT slowness problems -- posting about them is fine. Oddly enough we also use the system and tend to find that the system is slow right around the time everyone else does. And if we notice the system seems slow then we read the newsgroups to see of anyone else has noticed the same thing :-)

Oh and BTW none of the deputies are in PST timezone ... altho the servers happen to be there. And we tend to keep strange hours ...

OK, sorry.

...WRT slowness problems -- posting about them is fine. Oddly enough we also use the system and tend to find that the system is slow right around the time everyone else does. And if we notice the system seems slow then we read the newsgroups to see of anyone else has noticed  the same thing :-)

Notifications trailing the forwarding of spam by several hours seems like more than a slowness problem, but rather that some notifications were being held back while everything else went through -- no one else that I saw posted anything about this so I'm assuming it was not observed by others. What was the cause? (They eventually caught up the next day, although if some never made it at all I couldn't see that in the confusion.)

Notifications trailing the forwarding of spam by several hours seems like more than a slowness problem, but rather that some notifications were being held back while everything else went through -- no one else that I saw posted anything about this so I'm assuming it was not observed by others.  What was the cause?  (They eventually caught up the next day, although if some never made it at all I couldn't see that in the confusion.)

Sometimes the mailserver(s) get backlogged which is why the notifications get slowed down -- there are many reasons that can happen. There are a bunch of servers nowadays and so the configuration is fairly complicated.

There have been more hardware and more disk drives added. There is an alert system that fires off alerts internally to various pagers and email addresses when it recognizes a stall/problem. I don't always see those alerts -- which is just as well as they are pretty inscrutible to me:-) Unfortunately those alerts do not say friendly things like "oopsie the mail server is having a bad hair day"

We do try to post about the problems that we know about and that we think are affecting our users altho I will admit that sometimes we fail in that. We are trying to make the information flow better.

Try checking the address it's suppose to go to in your profile and re-save it. Then be sure to respond to the confirmation and note whether the confirmation is accepted.

My notifications are back to coming in more or less normally for the last several days. The delay is down to several minutes.

possibilities ... the account to forward the responses is correct?

this account may filter, something like Yahoo, so it's going into th e jUnk folder vice the Inbox?

Do you have some rules set up (like auto-delete) that these responses might be hitting?

Offering these in case it's something outside the "delay" issue ...

possibilities ... the account to forward the responses is correct?

this account may filter, something like Yahoo, so it's going into th e jUnk folder vice the Inbox?

Do you have some rules set up (like auto-delete) that these responses might be hitting?

Offering these in case it's something outside the "delay" issue ...

Thanks for assistance...

1. The account appears to be correct. Same account that works for the web-based submission. Did a copy/paste. My correct e-mail address is at the top of the Web submission page.

2. Nope, we have in in-house mail server and for good or for bad, I'm the administrator. Can't find anything "misplaced."

3. We don't have any "auto-delete" rules. I also checked the mail logs at the server. Nothing has come in from Spamcop.

might be speaking out of turn here, but a possible suggestion .. if comfortable with it, how about posting enough detail that JT could use in doing a log search to check his side of the house to see that there's communicaiton to / from your end .. suspecting that this would come up OK, and the problem that these parsing auto-acks are coming from Julian's/Ironport's side of the house ... so JT's side is not at issue (and as you've mentioned web-mail and e-mail submittals work, I'm guessing that it's not JT's side ... did you try ewv's suggestion just to refresh some bits ????

i was pointed to this thread after posting exactly the same problem

(i started the thread "spam reports disappearing without trace".)

i do not appear to have received ANY acknowledgements from Spamcop

for any of the reports i have submitted since about March 1.

i forwarded such a report just now ("From "a.haziz"; subject "READ RESPOND IMMEDIATELY"),.

this was done using my email software to Forward With Full Headers -- which is exactly

the process i have always used. so has something changed at the Spamcop end?

--

jim nagel

(in England)

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted elsewhere, I am experiencing this problem as well.

This is NOT, repeat, NOT a delay. The mails get permanently lost. My experience is that they make it through in the morning and evening but not during business hours.

It is not an incorrect reporting address, it is not a filter on my end, yes I checked to see if they showed up as "unreported", and no they didn't.

This has been going on for about a week. No one has responded adequately in my original thread. It's getting to the point where I guess I have to save all my spam and report it in the evening.

Eric

There seems to be more than one thing going on. I keep track of forwarded spam with an id system. There have been long delays but I don't think any have been lost. The delay has been several hours all day today. During the periods of long delay I have resorted to copying the spam in, then cancelling the later notification. That results in double submissions at times (like today) and inevitable occasional confusion keeping things in sync.

The notification problems seem to be getting worse and it would be nice if an explanation were posted beyond the general "system slow" now displayed. I emailed admin.spamcop.net earlier today, but haven't received an answer yet.

Looking at the stats generated at: http://www.spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml

Specifically in the 1 week and 1 month graphs, it appears reporting goes way down around 9 AM till about noon when there is a large spike. This has been much more pronounced during the last 2 weeks than in the period prior to that. These times appear to be East Coast (based on the EST of the clock in the bottom corner) so there could be some kind of maintenance going on daily on the West Coast (6-9 AM) slowing the system?

It would seem a strange time to do it if so with the US business day starting across the country during that time period.

Looking at the stats generated at: http://www.spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml

Specifically in the 1 week and 1 month graphs, it appears reporting goes way down around 9 AM till about noon when there is a large spike.  This has been much more pronounced during the last 2 weeks than in the period prior to that.  These times appear to be East Coast (based on the EST of the clock in the bottom corner) so there could be some kind of maintenance going on daily on the West Coast (6-9 AM) slowing the system?

It would seem a strange time to do it if so with the US business day starting across the country during that time period.

Today's reduction (from an average over 22 spam messages submitted per second to an average under 9) appeared to start at about 07:41 EST and end at about 10:51 EST.

The reductions appear to be due to some sort of daily maintenance taking out more than half of spam submission capacity for 3+ hours surrounding SpamCop's first traditionally slow time (9am Eastern), the second being 9am Pacific.

Has it ever worked? If you repsonded to the notification address confirmation for your spamcop profile and the profile information is still correct, write to service at admin.spamcop.net with your account information.

There are multiple points of potential failure in the email submission loop. SpamCop is only responsible for some of them. The following points are for the simplest common scenarios - more complex scenarios have more points of potential failure.

• Reporter composes and sends Submission (email containing spam (preferably as an attachment)) to Reporter's local email system using Reporter's Mail User Agent.
  • Reporter's local email system sends Submission to Reporter's SMTP Server.
  • Reporter's SMTP Server (generally at the Reporter's ISP) sends Submission to one of SpamCop's SMTP Servers for email submission.
  • One of SpamCop's SMTP Servers for email submission (vmx1.spamcop.net [206.14.107.113] and vmx2.spamcop.net [206.14.107.117]) sends Submission to one of SpamCop's Application Servers.
  • One of SpamCop's Application Servers accepts the Submission, activates the "Report Now" Link, and sends the Response to one of SpamCop's SMTP Servers for email submission.
  • One of SpamCop's SMTP Servers for email submission send the Response to the Reporter's Mail Service Provider's Mail Server.
  • The Reporter's Mail Service Provider's Mail Server delivers the Response to the Reporter's Mailbox.
  • The Reporter's Mail User Agent gets the Response from the Reporter's Mailbox and shows it to the Reporter.

If the "Report Now" Link is never activated for a particular Submission, then the Submission is getting lost before it gets to one of SpamCop's Application Servers. This should be troubleshot with the Reporter's SMTP Server Administrators and a SpamCop Admin. The workaround is to submit via the website. Note that SpamCop's SMTP Servers for email submission are also used to process email sent to a SpamCop Admin via "service at admin.spamcop.net", so if your submissions are getting lost and you don't get the "Report Now" Link, your email to "service at admin.spamcop.net" may also be getting lost, so you should probably email a SpamCop Deputy via "deputies at spamcop.net" instead.

If, on the other hand, the "Report Now" Link is activated for a particular Submission, but the Response never shows up in the Reporter's Mailbox, then the Submission is getting lost between one of SpamCop's Application Servers and the Reporter's Mailbox. This should be troubleshot with a SpamCop Admin and the Reporter's Mail Service Provider's Mail Server Administrators. The workaround is to ignore the lack of Response email and use the "Report Now" Link.

In either case, the Reporter can help by: keeping local copies of Submissions; sending themselves copies of Submissions (both inside and outside their ISP); keeping statistics of Submissions Sent, Report spam Links available, and Responses Received for each group of Submissions; and posting headers from those copies (without the confidential addresses) and those statistics (or forwarding that info as attachments to a SpamCop Admin via "service at admin.spamcop.net" or redirected through a SpamCop Deputy via "deputies at spamcop.net").

Note that the Reporter's SMTP Server may be at Yahoo, while the Reporter's Mail Service Provider's Mail Server may be at AOL, so it is important to pinpoint where the problem lies in order to avoid blaming the wrong provider.

Archived