auto-move bounces

mrmaxx

It should be fairly easy to recognize bounced email, and since I send out so little email, I'm not actually worried about real bounces... Somewhere around 99% of my spam is "backscatter" of viruses and spammers forging one of my domains, and since I get everything sent to my domain(s), I get a lot of unsolicited bounces.

I realize I could configure filters, but they really only work when webmail is open in my browser, so it would be nice to have an option to 1) automatically move bounced email to my held mail folder or 2) automatically move it to a different folder (if you don't want to set it up to automatically move to "held" mail folder.)

I don't know how big a problem this is for other users, but I am getting SWAMPED with Unsolicited Bounce messages...

So am I.  5,084 so far this month.  :(

36093[/snapback]

Ahh... nice to know I'm not the only one getting bounces due to forged headers. Hmm... maybe we can write an RFC and get it adopted, i.e. "if you accept an email for delivery and cannot deliver it, you should drop it as the reply-to address information can no longer be accepted as valid. You should either reject the email *before* terminating the SMTP session or drop it silently if you have already closed the SMTP session."

I wonder if that would have a snowball's chance of getting adopted?

• 1 year later...

Ahh... nice to know I'm not the only one getting bounces due to forged headers. Hmm... maybe we can write an RFC and get it adopted, i.e. "if you accept an email for delivery and cannot deliver it, you should drop it as the reply-to address information can no longer be accepted as valid. You should either reject the email *before* terminating the SMTP session or drop it silently if you have already closed the SMTP session."

I wonder if that would have a snowball's chance of getting adopted?

I certainly wish it would. We have been trying to get Microsoft to do something about this for years now, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge it as a problem. (no rants about using a different mail server please). The above proposal is simple enough to have merit.

Archived