My company does not run mailing lists...WHY BL?

shads

Can someone tell me how my company may be blocklisted? We are a small company, and we don't run any sort of mailing list.

The only e-mails that go out are to direct responses, or direct persons.

There are only 3 people in this company that use e-mail, myself, the Owner and the Service Manager. I do the I.T. / Sales / Marketing.

Some sort of response that could help prevent this in the future would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator EDIT: PS, I get this response when trying to send e-mails.

Server response '451 Blocked - See Http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?72.1.198.123

Cheers,

Moderator action: copied data from shads's next post into this existing post, noting that this additional data was posted while the first response was being typed in ....

then deleted shads's second post

Can someone tell me how my company may be blocklisted?

36218[/snapback]

Not a clue. You might try reading a FAQ or two, reading the [How to] post a question thing ... almost any of the other Topics/Discussions in this Forum section ... somehow the concept of providing data such that someone could look something up has to be dealt with.

EDIT: noting that shads made a second post while this was being composed in response to his/her first post, which contained no "data" ... moderator actions added into the editing of shads's first post, deletion of the second ...

And did you follow the link provided?

72.1.198.123 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in a short time.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

This states that it is about to fall off the list ... but the reasons were for both spamtrap hits and user reports ... a pretty good indication that there was a load of spam coming from that IP address.

The error message you offered is of the 4xx series, indicating a "temporary" failure ... in theory, the e-mail servers involved may yet handle this particular e-mail over a long enough period that (in this case) this e-mail might actually end up being delivered (no guarantees, as "we" have no idea of the configurations involved on these servers)

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ng=72.1.198.123 shows that the SpamCopBL isn't the only one that this IP has gotten itself into.

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 1.4 .. -100%

Last 30 days .. 2.0 ... 658%

Average ........ 1.1

Data suggests that there was (probably) a spam spew issue that got resolved.

Not a clue.  You might try reading a FAQ or two, reading the [How to] post a question thing ... almost any of the other Topics/Discussions in this Forum section ... somehow the concept of providing data such that someone could look something up has to be dealt with.

EDIT: noting that shads made a second post while this was being composed in response to his/her first post, which contained no "data" ...  moderator actions added into the editing of shads's first post, deletion of the second ...

36221[/snapback]

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?72.1.198.123

I rely heavily on being able to send e-mails/quotes to my customers. I don't have time to read FAQ's. I don't have e-mailing/spamming lists. I want to know why I am on here.

Are you an admin on this site?

If so, you should be able to figure out why I am on this block list.

36223[/snapback]

Wazoo is the Admin for this Web Forum, not for the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service. SpamCop Deputies (deputies[at]spamcop.net) have the information you seek. Please see Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide for details. Thanks!

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?72.1.198.123

I rely heavily on being able to send e-mails/quotes to my customers.   I don't have time to read FAQ's.  I don't have e-mailing/spamming lists.  I want to know why I am on here. 

36223[/snapback]

Almost 20 minutes showing between my "reply with data" and this post, so you should have been able to see my last, which included some specific data.

Sorry you don't have time to spend on reading things that I and others spent time in typing up so that folks like you wouldn't have to spend time re-asking Frequently Asked Questions and waiting for someone to respond with Frequently Made Answers ....

Am I an Admin on this site? .. kind of a silly question to my eyes, as there is the icon and title offered of Admin on my posts.

Does that have anything to do with the IP in question being on the SpamCopDNSBL? no

Does being Admin "here" have anything to do with the SpamCopDNSBL? no

Does "peer-to-peer, user-to-user support" mean anything to you? apparently not

Does the fact that almost all responses provided here are from other folks volunteering their time mean that attitudes and remarks like this are acceptable behavior? no

Have you contacted the "owner" of the IP/server involved?

Parsing input: 72.1.198.123

host 72.1.198.123 = dsl-72-1-198.123.tel-ott.com (cached)

Routing details for 72.1.198.123

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 72.1.198.123 : technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

Using last resort contacts technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

Am guessing that the answer is 'no'

451 Blocked - See Http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?72.1.198.123

36218[/snapback]

There is one entry for that IP Address in the Report History:
Submitted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 15:32:11 -0500:

Press Release

* 1554086057 ( 72.1.198.123 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

* 1554086054 ( 72.1.198.123 ) To: technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

Please see Am I running mailing lists responsibly? and Why am I Blocked?. Thanks!

Almost 20 minutes showing between my "reply with data" and this post, so you should have been able to see my last, which included some specific data.

I work, I am busy at work, I do this in between other tasks I have.

Does the fact that almost all responses provided here are from other folks volunteering their time mean that attitudes and remarks like this are acceptable behavior?  no

Has this title gone to your head? Aparently so.

Are you employed? Apparently not, as you seem to have ample time to help people like myself.....or should I put, try to belittle them. It would probably take the same amount of time to answer a question, than to suggest the obvious... "Read the FAQ's" "Check other forum posts" If you were employed you would probably know this is not a feasable choice for every employee.

I thank you for your help, even in the manner you suggested. If you thought my e-mail was offensive, you've obviously mis-read it and are taking this "online" stuff way too seriously....get a hold of yourself my friend....Life is too short to be angry all the time.

Have you contacted the "owner" of the IP/server involved?

Parsing input: 72.1.198.123

host 72.1.198.123 = dsl-72-1-198.123.tel-ott.com (cached)

Routing details for 72.1.198.123

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 72.1.198.123 : technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

Using last resort contacts technical_inquiries[at]telecomottawa.com

Am guessing that the answer is 'no'

36225[/snapback]

I have not, I was not aware these options were available, and how they would help.

Have you ever tried calling customer support for an Internet company? I have waited several hours, only to be re-routed to another department, wait another 1/2 hour and then be dropped because some uneducated kid working at a call centre needs to improve his call records.

Anyways, I will look into this more. I think I have narrowed it down to a virus I had on Friday that couldn't be removed until Saturday afternoon.

The virus was bloodhound.exploit.20 but I haven't found out any information on this virus to see if that is what it can be accounted to.

Cheers,

Scott

If you have a specific question about a section of the FAQ that confuses you, please identify/post that section here with your question and we will attempt to help you understand. If you haven't looked at a FAQ yet, please see the information provided at What is SpamCop?

Have you ever tried calling customer support for an Internet company?  I have waited several hours, only to be re-routed to another department, wait another 1/2 hour and then be dropped because some uneducated kid working at a call centre needs to improve his call records.

36228[/snapback]

And you ask why you are listed? You just answered your own question. They don't care. They permit spammers. Thats why you are listed.

And you apparent do not care either or you would have changed providers to one that does respond.

Are you employed?  Apparently not, as you seem to have ample time to help people like myself

Yeah, situations like that happen when one gets retired. However, what that has to do with anything is beyond me.

It would probably take the same amount of time to answer a question, than to suggest the obvious... "Read the FAQ's" "Check other forum posts" If you were employed you would probably know this is not a feasable choice for every employee.

If I was employed, much of what you'll find here wouldn't exist in the first place.

I thank you for your help, even in the manner you suggested.  If you thought my e-mail was offensive, you've obviously mis-read it and are taking this "online" stuff way too seriously....get a hold of yourself my friend....Life is too short to be angry all the time.

I don't think I've misread a thing. I just don't think you've done your research.

I have not, I was not aware these options were available, and how they would help.

Seems like the folks that are actually tunning the server in use would be stop #1, but then, I've been there. I've made the calls, I've been the one called, I've been the one to fix things, and now I'm the one pointing you to the FAQ entries that were written up by folks that have had experience (and those that haven't but tried to interpret some of those details for others) .. not knowing that contacting those specific folks seems a bit .. ummmm .... ignorant (???? not sure of any other word that could define the 'Follow-the-Money' situation)

Have you ever tried calling customer support for an Internet company?  I have waited several hours, only to be re-routed to another department, wait another 1/2 hour and then be dropped because some uneducated kid working at a call centre needs to improve his call records.

I've called, I've been the one called, I've .... seems like I just heard this somewhere ...

Anyways, I will look into this more.  I think I have narrowed it down to a virus I had on Friday that couldn't be removed until Saturday afternoon.

The virus was bloodhound.exploit.20 but I haven't found out any information on this virus to see if that is what it can be accounted to.

36228[/snapback]

Gee whiz, sorry you can't find any data on that either ... damn it must suck not having Internet connection available in your job ....

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...exploit.20.html .. hmmm, dated:

Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate™ Weekly) December 29, 2004

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS05-002.mspx .. hmmm, dated

Issued: January 11, 2005

Updated: April 12, 2005

Version: 2.0

and you say you were "just" bitten ...???? hmmmmm????

almost embarrassing

I rely heavily on being able to send e-mails/quotes to my customers.  I don't have time to read FAQ's.  I don't have e-mailing/spamming lists.  I want to know why I am on here. 

36223[/snapback]

Well, we're all busy. In the time it took to enter the forum, register, type your initial enquiry and then reply telling us you're too busy to read the provided information you could have clicked the link provided in the original error message, followed the information and read the FAQ.

Since it states clearly at the top of all forums that support is offered on a peer-to-peer basis ie we're all users helping each other why would you imagine saying you can't take time to read the FAQ would generate any useful replies?

For waht it's worth, this IP isn't listed any longer, the last report was received last Saturday but it would seem that multiple recipients of mail through this IP address considered the items received as Unsolicited Commercial Emails ie spam.

Andrew

Archived