SpamAssassin's SUBJ_ILLEGAL_CHARS

hennish

I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove or modify the SA rule "SUBJ_ILLEGAL_CHARS"? This rule is adding spam score to all mails containing swedish characters ÅÄÖ, which I feel is kinda wrong.

36365[/snapback]

Hi Anders,

I'm sure that it could be possible but the question is whether it is desirable. Since so much spam uses these modified characters in an attempt to circumvent filters disabling this rule would simply let more junk through.

You could increase your SpamAssassin score so that it triggers with less vigour.

Andrew

Those characters are outside the range (0-177 Octal, 0-127 Decimal) for "CHAR" as a part of "text" as a part of the "field-body" of the "Subject" field, as specified by Sections 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 3.2, 3.3, and Appendix D of Internet Standard #11 and RFC822 Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages, as well as Sections 2.1, 2.2.1, 3.2.6, and 3.6.5 of Draft Standard RFC2822 Internet Message Format. If you want to use those characters in the "Subject" field, you must encode them using the encoding methods defined in Draft Standard RFC2047 MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) Part Three: Message Header Extensions for Non-ASCII Text.

Archived