Filtering webmail folders

Note: this is nothing to do with Blocklist filters but rather with the webmail menu bar items 'Filters'.

I wanted to save the "SpamCop Quick Reporting Data' emails so I defined a filter based on 'From' contains 'pamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net' (quotes here, not entered on screen). which worked fine to move to a keep, might come in useful folder.

I then wonder if I could move only emails with a low SpamAssassin score and tried both 'X-spam-Level' contains '***' and 'X-spam-Status' contains 'hits=3.' but nothing happened, even though the held folder had an email with

X-spam-Level: ***

X-spam-Status: hits=3.0 tests=HTML_MESSAGE,URIBL_JP_SURBL version=3.1.0

TRACKING URL

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z837925582zd9...c5f4babfc914c8z

Has anyone any experience to share or any idea about using this 'feature' ?

I have two Webmail Filter Rules that don't work.

The first is called "Null Sender Move" and states:

Sender not contain "[at]" and

Sender not contain "."

Move to mailbox: INBOX.null sender

The second is called "null return path move" and states:
Return-Path not contain "[at]" and

Return-Path not contain "."

Move to mailbox: INBOX.null return path

All of my working Rules do not contain and (some contain or, which does work, and some have a single match condition). I suspect a problem with the logic in processing and, so I suggest using just
X-spam-Status contain "hits=3."
for your purpose.

I have two Webmail Filter Rules that don't work.

... All of my working Rules do not contain and (some contain or, which does work, and some have a single match condition).  I suspect a problem with the logic in processing and, so I suggest using justfor your purpose.

37510[/snapback]

Jeff G, thank you for your thoughts.

I must have been ambiguous, since I meant to say that I tried

'X-spam-Level' contains '***' as a distinct Filter Rule then I tried

'X-spam-Status' contains 'hits=3.' as a different distinct Filter Rule with no effect in either case.

So even if "and" is a problem, it isn't the immediate source of my failure to get the filters to work.

Could you post the left hand sides, such as 'From:' that you have used with success ?

Could you post the left hand sides, such as 'From:' that you have used with success ?

37552[/snapback]

Sure, my Filter Rules on the "From" Header Line start "From contains:" and include strings like "carinscomail.com" (where carinsco is my car insurance company), "master[at]", "abuse[at]", "security[at]", "mailer-daemon[at]", "Yahoo! Personals", "yahoo-inc.com", "paypal.com", and "ebay.com".

In the past, I have successfully used: X-spam-Level Contains *** and just tried it on my Trash folder and it still works.

You are not expecting these filters to work without interaction (at least logging in for them to work ion the inbox) are you? Please see FAQ about the personal webmail filters, Client filters within webmail.

In the past, I have successfully used: X-spam-Level Contains *** and just tried it on my Trash folder and it still works.

You are not expecting these filters to work without interaction (at least logging in for them to work ion the inbox) are you? 

Thank you for your help.

I expect the filters to work on the current folder (usually INBOX or HELD) and they do indeed work for at least one rule but not for the rules that try to use 'X-spam-Level' and 'X-spam-Status'.

Does X-spam-Level Contains *** action only on *** or does it also action on **** ***** etc. since these also 'contain' *** ?

Sure, my Filter Rules on the "From" Header Line start "From contains:" and include strings like "carinscomail.com" (where carinsco is my car insurance company), "master[at]", "abuse[at]", "security[at]", "mailer-daemon[at]", "Yahoo! Personals", "yahoo-inc.com", "paypal.com", and "ebay.com".

37554[/snapback]

Jeff G, Oops.

These are all right hand sides (data).

I was trying to ask what you have used in the allowed left hand side list besides 'From'. I note the FAQ and Steven Underwood report successful use of X-spam-Level.

Thanks

Thank you for your help.

I expect the filters to work on the current folder (usually INBOX or HELD) and they do indeed work for at least one rule but not for the rules that try to use 'X-spam-Level' and 'X-spam-Status'.

Does X-spam-Level Contains *** action only on *** or does it also action on **** ***** etc. since these also 'contain' *** ?

37591[/snapback]

Held mail needs to be applied manually. Inbox filters only apply automatically if you have the correct switches set.

And yes, that filter will apply to any message with a spam assassin result of 3 or more. I used it a while back when testing the effectiveness of the spamassassin filter spamcop provides. I set the number at 5 and applied to my trash folder to determine how many were caught at that level, then reduced to 4, etc.

Held mail needs to be applied manually.  Inbox filters only apply automatically if you have the correct switches set.

And yes, that filter will apply to any message with a spam assassin result of 3 or more.  I used it a while back when testing the effectiveness of the spamassassin filter spamcop provides.  I set the number at 5 and applied to my trash folder to determine how many were caught at that level, then reduced to 4, etc.

37594[/snapback]

Doesn't work for me and I also tried X-spam-Level Contains ' ***'

OTOH X-spam-Status contains 'hits=3.' has now started working.

On the gripping hand when I moved back the emails moved by this filter and tried again nothing happened.

All filters were applied manually and I have 'applies to all mail' selected.

Grrrrrrrrrr!

On the gripping hand when I moved back the emails moved by this filter and tried again nothing happened.

All filters were applied manually and I have 'applies to all mail' selected.

Grrrrrrrrrr!

38101[/snapback]

My Filter Rules that move messages to my Held Mail or INBOX mailbox/Folder also mark those moved messages as "Read" / "Seen", such that they are no longer subject to any other Filter Rules (unless I mark them as "Unread" / "Unseen" again). I have all four Filter Options Checked.

My Filter Rules that move messages to my Held Mail or INBOX mailbox/Folder also mark those moved messages as "Read" / "Seen", such that they are no longer subject to any other Filter Rules (unless I mark them as "Unread" / "Unseen" again).  I have all four Filter Options Checked.

38106[/snapback]

I only have two checked (so ignore Read/unread) and when I tried again, the filter moved the same emails every time I tried it ! (moving them back to the original folder after each trial).

I am sure gremlins are walking behind me changing hidden variables when I am not looking (VBG).

So everything now works except the X-spam-Level contains '***' and a problem with rounding which gives hits=3.0 AND X-spam-Level: ** which I have sent to JeffT

Thanks for your thoughts

a problem with rounding which gives hits=3.0 AND X-spam-Level: ** which I have sent to JeffT

38234[/snapback]

I noticed the same type of issue back in July, and have yet to hear from JT about it. Please see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=30354 for details.

(a problem with rounding which gives hits=3.0 AND X-spam-Level: ** which I have sent to JeffT)

I noticed the same type of issue back in July, and have yet to hear from JT about it.  Please see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=30354 for details.

38317[/snapback]

JT replied to me "It's in the core SpamAssassin code, which we didn't actually write."

I assume he is saying that X-spam-Level is set by SpamAssassin code.

You could bug report this direct to SpamAssassin I suppose.

Archived