[Resolved] No email from SpamCop.net

Lking

For several days (sense the beginning of Dec maybe) I have not been receiving any return email from SpamCop.net.

Normally when reporting spam using Bcc: Submit.xxx [at] spam.spamcop.net I also send manual reports to others as appropriate. After having submitted most/all I login to the SpamCop.net web page and "cut&past" the last one or two spam using the cookies page. At some point the the <Report Now> button appears and I process each spam I had submitted by email. When I get back to my mail app I retrieve and delete the email from spamcop with reporting links (having already reported the spam).

As a result of this process I didn't really miss the return email with reporting links.

With all the threads about "I don't have time to..." lately and trying to get a life B) Quick reporting seemed like a good option. I sent an email to Don per the FAQ. Didn't get a response. Tried it any way sending a spam to Quick.xxx [at] ... After some time looking at the <Past Reports> tab, <View Recent Reports> low and behold there it was. So Don must have gotten my email and acted on it = Thanks = with out a response.

While waiting for a return from Don, I became aware of no response from spam.spamcop.net at all. Where do they go?

Test 1:

Had a friend (different domain/ISP) send me an email addressed to PostMaster [at] knob.com (same address listed with SpamCop) I got his test message.

Test 2:

Checked the cue of unreported spam - Nothing

Sent a spam as attachment to Submit.xxx and waited.

Unreported spam <Report Now> appeared.

No return email from spamcop.net

waited 20min called ISP (very nice)

They see my outgoing, scanned for an incoming from spamcop.net - Nothing.

So I guess the next step is:

Who can check to see if in all the bounced reports received one or more are for mail sent to knob.com? Assume this is the next step to find which blackhole the email has falling into.

Your best bet is to contact a SpamCop Admin (or have your ISP do so) from a freemail provider with details, as it appears that emails from SpamCop's system to your ISP's (and there fore yours) aren't making it. In the parlance of Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?, the problem appears to be in Step E or F.

your spamcop.net e-mail address is handled on JT's machines in Georgia.

The "reporting" side of things are handled on the IronPort hardware in California.

Your "test" e-mail exercise appears to have covered that your ISP is forwarding to your spamco.net address (if I read it correctly)

However, the complaint seems to be the e-mail coming from the IronPort hardware. In general, the thoughts would be that if you logged onto "your" www.spamcop.net web page, you would notmally see some message about an e-mail problem .. typically, there was some kind of network problem, a number of e-mails were attempted and either bounced or no connection found at the receiving target (your) ISP, and thus the spamcop.net reporting system flagged your report/address as 'having issues' ..... most folks talk about a button/link provided saying something like "It's fixed, start sending again" .....

Problem is that you seem to suggest that you've been to the web-page and didn't see this "error conditon/notification" ...possible new filter installed somewhere ???? Second problem is that looking at the charts, that "11 messages a second" thing comes into play, asking someone to try to toss a grep command on that log file to look for your traffic ..????

There is talk both in other posts here and over in the newsgroups about slow returns, a couple of non-responses from Don (though wondering id it's actually the same user posting in both venues) ... but will note that some other discussions about posting news, system status, and checking their e-mail accounts, all that Admin and Deputy stuff is handled on the IronPort hardware ... when the "system status report" graphic "here" is showing that it's down, those folks are essentially off-line also.

In the parlance of Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?, the problem appears to be in Step E or F. 

37833[/snapback]

Per Problem Resolution #3, above, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Proceeding to resolution #4, now that they are back up.

<edit> to respond to Wazoo too, (sorry my tongue made me say it).

Didn't mention the "Its fixed" button, also from Jeff's ref, because I have not seen it.

New filters(?) Checking with my ISP should have covered that at this end. On the IronPost end is an other issue. In the middle - help up all. Yes, that would be a bit of a search, just grasping at straws. No the Newsgroup post are not me. Did add in passing to other threads while I was trying to decide if I had a problem.

Off to Admin will post results

For several days (sense the beginning of Dec maybe) I have not been receiving any return email from SpamCop.net.

Our system mail to you isn't bouncing, so I assume it's getting lost on the way.

I sent an email to Don per the FAQ.  Didn't get a response.

I sent two emails to your 'postmaster' address on December 7th. Neither of them bounced. I know they went out because I can see copies in our off-site archives.

I think that tells us that your ISP, or a local filter, is trashing mail with a spamcop.net return address. My mail goes out from a completely different network than our system mail, so I think that eliminates IP blocking.

I'll resend my email from a different address to see what happens.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

back to the ISP in the am.

37851[/snapback]

Geez... right in the middle of this, my outgoing mail stopped working, so I wasn't able to send mail using a different return address. I just now got that fixed. 06:20 MST

So, I just sent you mail from an address you won't recognize, with a subject line that I hope you will. Hard to make my mail recognizable without using SpamCop or spam in the addressing.

Look for mail with a subject of: Re: Mail from report submissions

- Don -

We have not received any mail from spamcop.net or Don. My ISP have been watching all day and see nothing incoming from spamcop.net. Their last question is

Could you provide the exact email address that the mail you are expecting would be coming from?
Do I remember correctly response to submitting spam should come from xxx [at] spam.spamcop.net?

Do I remember correctly response to submitting spam should come from xxx [at] spam.spamcop.net?

37885[/snapback]

Here is what a sample looks like:
Return-Path: <spamid.842017050[at]bounces.spamcop.net>

Received: from vmx1.spamcop.net (vmx1.spamcop.net [204.15.82.27])

by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id 26si4375637wrl.2005.12.15.13.11.51;

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:11:52 -0800 (PST)

Received: from sc-app3.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (204.15.82.22)

by vmx1.spamcop.net with SMTP; 15 Dec 2005 13:10:16 -0800

From: SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>

To: x[at]gmail.com

Subject: SpamCop has accepted 1 email for processing

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:10:15 GMT

Message-ID: <spamid842017050[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

In-Reply-To: <001b01c601ba$ac23f3e0$af10a8c0[at]testarmada>

References: <001b01c601ba$ac23f3e0$af10a8c0[at]testarmada>

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THIS SERVICE!

SpamCop is free.  However, if you like the service please pay for it:

http://www.spamcop.net/upgradeaccount.shtml

SpamCop is now ready to process your spam.

Use links to finish spam reporting (members use cookie-login please!):

[Tracking URL]

The email which triggered this auto-response had the following headers:

[headers of submission email message]

And a quick report reply is:

Return-Path: <user.IF5yMUH5s9HzAENf[at]bounces.spamcop.net>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-x[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 4418 invoked from network); 15 Dec 2005 20:21:13 -0000

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.1.0 (2005-09-13) on blade2.cesmail.net

X-spam-Level:

X-spam-Status: hits=-99.4 tests=J_CHICKENPOX_73,USER_IN_WHITELIST

version=3.1.0

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.103)

by blade2.cesmail.net with QMQP; 15 Dec 2005 20:21:13 -0000

Received: from vmx1.spamcop.net (204.15.82.27)

by mx53.cesmail.net with SMTP; 15 Dec 2005 20:21:13 -0000

Received: from sc-app6.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (204.15.82.25)

by vmx1.spamcop.net with SMTP; 15 Dec 2005 12:19:42 -0800

To: Steven P. Underwood (Home) <x[at]spamcop.net>

Subject: SpamCop Quick reporting data

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <qr43a1cfdeg17b7c[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:19:42 GMT

X-Mailer: http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.514

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.103 204.15.82.27 204.15.82.25

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: devnull.spamcop.net

Thanks for the data. Still working the problem.

37898[/snapback]

22:50 MST

I just sent two spams to your 'submit' address so that our system will generate a response to your 'postmaster' address.

To: your 'postmaster' address

I also sent two emails, one to 'postmaster' and one to 'lking'. One from my service [at] admin.spamcop.net address, and one using a different return address, both showing 'SpamCop Admin' as my 'name'.

Subject: Re: Mail from SpamCop

- Don -

22:50 MST

I just sent two spams to your ...

I also sent two emails, ...

- Don -

37959[/snapback]

Nada, zip, nothing. I also sent 8-10 emails with attachments that were a mix of Submit and Quick reports. All showed up appropriately as "Report Now" and in "Past Reports"

HELP at my ISP is open, have a call in. This is todays project. Of course the spam gets through, so do news papers, adds/notices from clubs, af.mil, everything I expect.

All is not well. Submit reports now do get back to me, but Quick reports do not.

All times are EST (-0500) from message header

16:13 sent report to Submit

16:18 message shows up in Show past reports

16:18 time stamp on message from AutoResponder

16:44 sent report to Quick

16:45 message shows up in Show past reports

17:08 sent another report to Quick

17:11 message shows up in show past reports

17:51 sent another message to Submit

17:53 message shows up in show past reports

17:53 time stamp on message from AutoResponder

18:20 Sent to Submit

18:23 message shows up in show past reports

18:23 Time stamp on message from AutoResponder

18:22 sent to Quick

18:24 message shows up in show past reports

It is 18:27 No report of what was done by "Quick" received. Have messages. Any ideas? ISP is monitoring but has not seen any thing yesterday or before 1600 today.

EDIT

18:30 Received auto message back thru [at]reports.spamcop.net

All is not well. Submit reports now do get back to me, but Quick reports do not.

37982[/snapback]

What is Quick Reporting?

WARNING: Like its counterpart of normal Reporting, Quick Reporting also allows the reporting of you to your ISP or of your ISP to your ISP's ISP (both Very Bad Things), but in a more dangerous manner because it is faster and there is no verification step.

This is getting stranger by the minute. I can't imagine why one type of mail from us would get through but not others. And my mail is apparently not getting to you, either.

There are subtle differences in the addressing on the responses you get from the two different submission methods. Maybe one of them is triggering filters while the other isn't.

To: Lou <your postmaster address>

Subject: SpamCop Quick reporting data

To: your postmaster address

Tell your ISP to look for connections from

204.15.82.27 vmx1.spamcop.net

204.15.82.29 vmx2.spamcop.net

I just sent you another personal email where the word 'spam' doesn't appear anywhere in the address, headers or body text. It's as close as I can get to generic email that shouldn't trigger any filters.

Subject: TEST MSG Re: 'submit' vs 'quick'

- Don -

Tell your ISP to look for connections from

204.15.82.27 vmx1.spamcop.net

204.15.82.29 vmx2.spamcop.net

I just sent you another personal email where the word 'spam' doesn't appear anywhere in the address, headers or body text.  It's as close as I can get to generic email that shouldn't trigger any filters.

Subject: TEST MSG Re: 'submit' vs 'quick'

37989[/snapback]

Have not received Don's TEST MSG nor any AutoResponder email today 17 Dec < 0719 (-0500). Have sent 2 Submit, 2 Quick reports. Did receive 1 email through reports.spamcop.net (vmx1).

Looking at the headers of the 4 emails received 16 Dec, post #19, they all came from vmx1.

Received: from vmx1.spamcop.net (vmx1.spamcop.net [204.15.82.27])

Looking at the 3 AutoResponder received, 2 of my emails got to spamcop through vmx2 and 1 through vmx1. All 3 were sent out from vmx1.

The 2 reports.spamcop.net emails received appear to have entered and exited spamcop through vmx1.

Lou

Have not received Don's TEST MSG nor any AutoResponder email today 17 Dec

Not giving up.

I just sent you mail from (HELO lynchburg.net) (216.207.176.250)

To: Lou <your lking address>

Cc: your lking address at your host

Subject: TEST MSG from Sitestar Server

- Don -

Again no TEST MSG received. 

Just sent 2 Submit, 1 Quick.  Received 1 AutoResponder in and out of vmx1. 

???? It a small sample set but shouldn't vmx2 appeared here at least once?

I don't know what to say.

I've sent you a bunch of mail, from entirely different networks in Virginia and Idaho, and with various return addresses and message content, and nothing has gotten through. I sent you a personal message using the support forum software, which goes out from a server in Georgia.

As far as I can tell, you're not getting any mail at all. What mail you do get could be entirely random.

- Don -

Archived