[Resolved] Global server error meaning??

Hanzie

The last days I am not able anymore to report spam (through Mailwasher).

Mailwasher is saying:

Global smtp server !

Spamcop reporting

The SMTP server can not or will not send message to <submit.myaccount[at]spam.spamcop.net>

Question: are there problems - with the smtp server - on the side of my I.P.?

Or are there problems on the side of Spamcop.

I do not know. :unsure:

Does somebody has an answer ? Thanks :rolleyes:

Mailwasher is saying:

Global smtp server !

Spamcop reporting

The SMTP server can not or will not send message to <submit.myaccount[at]spam.spamcop.net>

Question: are there problems - with the smtp server -  on the side of my I.P.?

I do not know.  :unsure:

Does somebody has an answer ? Thanks  :rolleyes:

38987[/snapback]

Just to be sure, the error message actually replaces "myaccount" with your secret 16 character code, correct?

In that case, what is the SMTP server being used to send the message? Usually that will be your ISP's server and they would be the ones to contact.

Just to be sure, the error message actually replaces "myaccount" with your secret 16 character code, correct?

In that case, what is the SMTP server being used to send the message?  Usually that will be your ISP's server and they would be the ones to contact.

38991[/snapback]

Thanks for your help :) I replaced - for privacy reasons - the 16 character code

with "my account". I never changed this secret code, so that is correct.

The smtp server I use is: smtp.tiscali.nl (serverportnumber 25).

The problem started a couple of days ago.

I understand that I should contact my I.P. ?

Is it possible that my I.P is blocking the reports I send to spamcopnet???

38987[/snapback]

"Reporting Server Status" graphic/link at the top of this page shows the (general) condition of the Parsing & Reporting system. There was an outage a number of hours ago, but nothing that would match your "these days" description.

Thanks for your help  :) I replaced - for privacy reasons - the 16 character code

with "my account". I never changed this secret code, so that is correct.

I really don't understand what you just said. If you "replaced" a number, how would you expect any of this to work?

The smtp server I use is: smtp.tiscali.nl (serverportnumber 25).

The problem started a couple of days ago.

I understand that I should contact my I.P. ?

Is it possible that my I.P is blocking the reports I send to spamcopnet???

39008[/snapback]

The SpamCop FAQ "here" has an entry titled E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

"Reporting Server Status" graphic/link at the top of this page shows the (general) condition of the Parsing & Reporting system.  There was an outage a number of hours ago, but nothing that would match your "these days" description.

I really don't understand what you just said.  If you "replaced" a number, how would you expect any of this to work?

The SpamCop FAQ "here" has an entry titled E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

39009[/snapback]

I do not want that everybody can see my private spamcop-email address, so

I *only* changed it here on the forum and of course not in MailwasherPro.

That's why I said "replaced". Sorry but I speak and write better in Dutch, French and German

Yes it is possible. 

Let us know if you contact them and what they say.

39012[/snapback]

Thank you for your help. I will do that.

I do find it a bit strange that I get the SMTP error after this information of Mailwasher: Sending from Spamcop: sending email 1 of ..

It looks like that the problem resides on the site of Spamcop .. ??? I do not know.

Mailwasher is saying:

Global smtp server !

Spamcop reporting

I can't help but think that's a MailWasher problem. I can't imagine that Tiscali would suddenly start refusing to send mail to us.

The test for that would be to go around MailWasher and use your email client to send a test message to your "submit" address to see what happens. Nothing bad will happen if you do that. If the message gets to us, SpamCop will just send back an error message saying that it couldn't find any spam to process.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

It might be a Mailwasher problem. It could also be a variation of this problem: "It turns out that some ISPs are using an interesting (?) form of the BrightMail filters, scanning the outgoing e-mail from their servers and silently deleting anything that looks like spam ... which of course, most spam submittals to SpamCop would seem to naturally fall into this bucket." - where the ISP is returning a message rather than silently deleting them. (a simpler version that might translate better: Some ISPs use spam filters on outgoing email. The ISPs delete email that is identified as spam. Of course, spam submittals to spamcop will look like spam! Perhaps your ISP is returning a message to you instead of silently deleting the emails.)

Sending a blank email to the submit address would eliminate the problem that the ISP is blocking all email to spamcop and narrows it down to a Mailwasher problem or deliberate blocking of outgoing spam by the ISP, I think. But then sometimes I get confused on the technical end.

One reason for Hanzi to talk to his ISP is that the explanation would be in a language that he understands better. If, of course, the ISP understands the problem. If not, then perhaps what they say will help to narrow the problem down.

Miss Betsy

I can't help but think that's a MailWasher problem.  I can't imagine that Tiscali would suddenly start refusing to send mail to us.

The test for that would be to go around MailWasher and use your email client to send a test message to your "submit" address to see what happens.  Nothing bad will happen if you do that.  If the message gets to us, SpamCop will just send back an error message saying that it couldn't find any spam to process.

39032[/snapback]

Thank you both for your support!!

I followed your instructions and I used Forte Agent to report a spam email.

I used my spamcop emailaddress and I could send it without any problems.

I received a notification from Spamcop to proces the spam (just as it always was...) So: sending through MailwasherPro does not work anymore, sending it throug my emailprogram works fine. But was is the cause ??? I did not change anything in MailwasherPro...

Again thanks :)

sending through MailwasherPro does not work anymore, sending it throug my emailprogram works fine. But was is the cause ???  I did not change anything in MailwasherPro...

Again thanks  :)

39035[/snapback]

You might try posting in the Spamcop Lounge. You can ask the above question there.

Include the error message. Also list anything that has changed. Did you upgrade? There might be something that has changed that is affecting Mailwasher.

Sample:

MailwasherPro

won't submit spam to sc

sending spam submittals through MailwasherPro does not work anymore; sending them through my emailprogram works fine.

What is wrong?  I get this message when I try to submit spam from Mailwasher Pro:

Global smtp server !

Spamcop reporting

However, if I use Forte Agent to report a spam email, the spam submittal process works fine.  I have not changed anything in MailwasherPro. I have or have not changed ______,

Does anyone know what has gone wrong?

Sorry I can't help you. Hope someone else can guess what is wrong.

Miss Betsy

This could be a newly-installed or newly-reconfigured firewall or anti-spam product that is only blocking email from MailWasher. Please check that out and try having MailWasher send mail to your non-SpamCop account. Thanks!

This could be a newly-installed or newly-reconfigured firewall or anti-spam product that is only blocking email from MailWasher.  Please check that out and try having MailWasher send mail to your non-SpamCop account.  Thanks!

39046[/snapback]

I can reply with Mailwasher just the way it was, no problem. I checked my PC: no spam and did not alter my firewall...

I still can not report .... still the same error .. ..

Problem solved via a workaround (in Mailwasher)

Cause of the problem: a less tolerant smtp server (Tiscali !!) when an email address (spamcop email address) is a bit unusual.

(and Tiscali worked on het smtp server since a week ....... )

In that case the smtp server refuses to send the email!

Maybe spamcop should change the format of the email address ???

And Tiscali should do something with her SMTP server..

39094[/snapback]

The format of the email address is well within the RFC's for such things. If Tiscali is dropping messages for that reason, they are probably dropping lots of messages as MANY people use hidden accounts (to avoid dictionary attacks) in forms similiar at spamcop's.

Problem solved via a workaround (in Mailwasher)

Cause of the problem:  a less tolerant smtp server (Tiscali !!) when an email address (spamcop email address) is a bit unusual.

(and Tiscali worked on het smtp server since a week ....... )

In that case the smtp server refuses to send the email!

And Tiscali should do something with her SMTP server..

39094[/snapback]

Unfortunately, ISPs like Tiscali are not very customer friendly when they change the way they do things. They do not inform the customers.

There is no reason for spamcop to change email address. There are many email addresses that are 'unusual' Some people create 'unusual' addresses to avoid the spammers. You can tell Tiscali that there are other ways to keep spammers from using their servers.

Miss Betsy

I contacted my I.P. and they said that they did not "filter" emails and that I should contact Spamcop ...

For Firetrust the problem is new ....

I just do not know .....

What I do know is that for years, I had not problems at all.

I did not change my configuration, and so on, and so on.

(What is running well .. I do not change)

Most important: I am glad that I do not have the problem anymore..

This is from another forum:

..."I became aware of this issue only when I changed ISP and the new ISP's smtp server was found to be less tolerant of unusual email address formats. ...."

What I do know is that for years, I had not problems at all.

I did not change my configuration, and so on, and so on.

(What is running well .. I do not change)

Most important: I am glad that I do not have the problem anymore..

This is from another forum:

..."I became aware of this issue only when I changed ISP and the new ISP's smtp server was found to be less tolerant of unusual email address formats. ...."

39142[/snapback]

And just how from any of that does it then fall back on the SpamCop system being the cause of the problem? If you didn't make any changes, you've not stated that your reporting address changed, there is noting non-RFC compliant in the SpamCop Parsing & Reporting e-mail traffic .... I can't follow the finder pointing at SpamCop.net ...???? Marking this Topic as Resolved anyway.

Archived