qmail toaster - no source ip address fo

kiehlster

I have a fairly recent setup of the linux qmail toaster, and was hoping I could use squirrelmail's spamcop reporting tool to report my spam. I've even managed to uncover a massive spam network on some chinese 58.44.x.x network. Anyway, all the reports come back with the same "No source IP address found". Here's an example of an email that I received that returns this error: http://community.nanovox.com/Files/email1.txt

Can you tell me what isn't right with this email that results in a missing source IP? and if you know qmail well enough, perhaps a method of adjusting it to display the correct headers?

Thanks!

It would be better to supply a tracking URL so we can see what the parser is having a problem with rather tan posting the headers (though, thank you for posting them off-site with the link).

Ignore the whithspace issues here as this app drops whitespace.

It might be interpreting this line incorrectly:

Received: by simscan 1.1.0 ppid: 25962, pid: 25963, t: 1.4685s scanners: attach: 1.1.0 clamav: 0.87.1/m:34/d:1204 spam: 3.0.4

Or it might not like the 0 as the fqdn of your server in this line:

Received: from unknown (HELO yehey.com) (58.44.67.3) by 0 with SMTP; 21 Jan 2006 12:45:43 -0000

Hm... seems it is the 0 as an fqdn that throws it off. Seems that the fqdn has to be either the host name that spamcop has as the mailhost's name or one of the IP's associated with that mailhost.

For anyone who wants to know, here's how I fixed it. After some digging around, I found I can edit the /service/qmail-smtpd/run file (whose folder is a symlink to /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/) and find where it says something like "/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -H -R -l 0 \" (that's a dash ell zero in there) and change the -l (dash ell) option to be -l fqdn instead of -l 0.

Now I just need to wait for some more spam to arrive so I can test out the spamcop reporting stuff.

Thanks for your help, Steve.

Hm... seems it is the 0 as an fqdn that throws it off.  Seems that the fqdn has to be either the host name that spamcop has as the mailhost's name or one of the IP's associated with that mailhost.

SpamCop likes servers in headers that resolve both ways on DNS/rDNS lookup and identify themselves with the servername the DNS resolves to.

The Mailhost system also needs to see that same server in the user's host configuration, or at least the domain name portion of the servername. If all mail handlers resolve to some variation of the basic domain name, the parse will accept them even if they're not specifically included in the host registration.

- Don -

• 2 weeks later...
<snip>

Now I just need to wait for some more spam to arrive so I can test out the spamcop reporting stuff.

<snip>

39643[/snapback]

...When you've done that, please let us know so that one of us Moderators can mark this thread "Resolved." Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I believe this may be a similar issue. Just submitted a spam email that resulted in "No source IP address found, cannot proceed." The tracking URL is:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z890517626zc6...00fb7d8768a561z

Just curious why this happens.

40933[/snapback]

The problem here appears to be that mx.gmail.com is not one of your configured Mailhosts. http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z890550989z42...e70d32474f1212z (cancelled) shows the following:
If reported today, reports would be sent to:

Re: 84.158.126.184 (Administrator of network where email originates)

abuse[at]t-ipnet.de

Archived