How can I tell if this is spam?

jfh1107

I know the person this is supposedly from (william007cnx[at]yahoo.com). But they vehemently deny that they sent it. Is there a way to tell if it is spam? Thanks.

From william007cnx[at]yahoo.com Fri Jan 27 03:51:04 2006

X-Apparently-To: jfh1107[at]yahoo.com via 209.191.85.108; Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:43:09 -0800

X-Originating-IP: [130.94.6.216]

Return-Path: <no-reply[at]post.lovehappens.com>

Authentication-Results: mta203.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=yahoo.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

Received: from 130.94.6.216 (EHLO express3.tickle.com) (130.94.6.216) by mta203.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:43:09 -0800

Received: from express2.tickle.com (130.94.6.198) by express3.tickle.com (PowerMTA v3.0r29) id hrcn9q06a5oj for <jfh1107[at]yahoo.com>; Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:51:04 -0800 (envelope-from <no-reply[at]post.lovehappens.com>)

Received: from love2.tickle.com (ext.tickle.com [129.250.134.112]) by express2.tickle.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A2F85210019 for <jfh1107[at]yahoo.com>; Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:51:04 -0800 (PST)

Message-ID: <138750744.1138362664584.JavaMail.love[at]love2.tickle.com>

From: william007cnx[at]yahoo.com View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert

To: jfh1107[at]yahoo.com

Subject: make love happen

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_Part_365111_138747978.1138362664582"

Accreditor: Habeas

X-Habeas-Report: Please report use of this mark in spam to <http://www.habeas.com/report/>

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:51:04 -0800 (PST)

Content-Length: 1378

world's largest introductions network

Jakkrit wants your help creating love on LoveHappens - where you can be a matchmaker for your friends.

See Jakkrit's profile.

This email was sent to jfh1107[at]yahoo.com. If this email was unwanted, click here to unsubscribe.

If I received it, I'd call it spam. But I have no knowledge if what you may have signed up for. As far as analysis, I'm left with the sensation that the while spam / header set hasn't been provided. As noted in several places, the preferred method of providing a spam sample is to run it through the parser and provide a Tracking URL. There are instructions provided on how to get "full" headers/e-mail from a Yahoo (U.S.) account if needed.

If all you want to look at is the From: address, one can simply point out that virus/trojan crap has been generating e-mail with forged From: amd Reply-To: addresses for years. Spammers have used this mode for years. If you "know" this person, why would the question even be asked?

Habeas reporting data in headers, but no Habeas data.

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_Part_365111_138747978.1138362664582" .... but only a snippet of Plain-Text provided.

"Click Here" statment made in body, but there is no item to click on, assumedly would have been tucked awy in the stuff not provided.

Anyway, as I don't trust what I'm seeing, I'm not going to chase things down ...perhaps someone with more time & energy might ..????

I know the person this is supposedly from (william007cnx[at]yahoo.com). But they vehemently deny that they sent it. Is there a way to tell if it is spam? Thanks.

39939[/snapback]

If you did not request it, it is spam...plain and simple. Your friends CAN spam you. spam is about consent to use your address, not content, and only you can consent to your addresses use.

Now, the big question is whether to report it. If your friend is positive they did not give out your email address, then I would report it.

I had a similiar incident, but the person admitted send the "invite" so I asked them not to do it again and requested being removed from that list. I have had no additional spam to that account so it worked in that case.

I know appearances can be deceiving, but it appears that your associate with email address william007cnx[at]yahoo.com joined the LoveHappens website (which is associated with tickle.com, monster.com, and tmpw.net) possibly using identity Jakkrit, and authorized that website to invite your email address to join.

As Wazoo points out spammers have been forging the From for a long time, but it could be that your friend is lying to you and has signed you up.

Either way, it doesn't make any difference. Legitimate email mailing lists send a confirmation email to avoid any problems with people signing up others who don't want to be signed up. Then if it was a mistake, you just don't reply. You do not have to 'remove' yourself. One should never remove oneself from a list that you didn't sign up for. If your friend did admit to signing you up, sending an email to the publisher (not using the remove) explaining about how confirmation emails are supposed to work is the best way of handling it. If you are pressed for time and you are reasonably sure that it is just an incompetent mailing list and that the remove will be honored, then you might use the remove.

Although spam is about conSent, not conTent, considering the subject matter, IMHO, this one is not to be trusted - the way it might be if it were a subject that your friend was interested in.

Again, it was not solicited by you and you don't want it, which are the basic criteria for defining spam. It is not a proper confirmation email - another reason to report it. So, yes this email should be reported as spam.

Miss Betsy

Archived