My personal filters are not working

Disclaimer: I'd much rather send a personal e-mail (or phone call) to someone about this then air it all to be seen on a message board but SpamCop hasn't given me much of an option. I don't think the public can really help me with this, as the issue is with my spamcop account itself....

I've had e-mails sent to my "held mail" folder that have cleared matched my filter rules. There is one filter rule in particular that is evaluated first and all rules are stopped after that. No matter how I tweak the rule stuff still gets put into "held mail".

Would someone from Spamcop please look into this. If there is something obvious that I'm missing to make this filter active, I'd like to know... otherwise if it is the system I'd like to be informed when it's fixed.

My e-mail: tronster[at]cesmail.net

My cell: 410-299-6348

Cheers.

Tronster Hartley,

long time spamcop mail user

I've had e-mails sent to my "held mail" folder that have cleared matched my filter rules.  There is one filter rule in particular that is evaluated first and all rules are stopped after that.  No matter how I tweak the rule stuff still gets put into "held mail".

39955[/snapback]

Hi tronster!

I may be wrong in my understanding so please forgive me if so...

However, my understanding is that the checks that cause a spam item to reach the held mail folder take place before the personal filtering. In any case, personal filtering only takes place when you open the mail item in the webmail interface.

If I remember correctly, you can add the sender or a sending domain to your personal whitelist which bypasses the spam checking. Of course you can also adjust the trigger factors which cause the items to be considered as spam and therefore held but this is a separate process to the personal filtering.

Unless someone else knows differently...

Andrew

Yes, the SpamCop Email System is operating as designed. However, its design sucks in the following ways:

1. Filter Rules designed to rescue messages that were held can only be applied manually, and then only by using the little funnel-shaped "Apply Filters on Held Mail" Button while viewing your Held Mail mailbox/Folder in Webmail.
  2. You should NEVER use the "Stop checking if this rule matches?" Checkbox, as it stops ALL Rule checking, for this message and every other message that you might want to check.

Hi, Tronster,

Disclaimer: I'd much rather send a personal e-mail (or phone call) to someone about this then air it all to be seen on a message board but SpamCop hasn't given me much of an option.  I don't think the public can really help me with this, as the issue is with my spamcop account itself....

39955[/snapback]

...Withholding judgment on your belief that "the public" can't help you, I'm just jumping in here to point out that you appear to have missed the second item under "Announcements" on the "home" page of this ("SpamCop Email System & Accounts") forum, labeled Announcement: How To Get Official SpamCop.Net Customer Support. IIUC, you want to contact J.T.

...Good luck!

agsteele: Thank you for responding. Dang, I wish those spam checks were done later. I currently whitelist individuals but this is relating to an e-mail list I am on where the sender changes frequently (but the subject is always tagged with the same keyword.)

Jeff G.: I agree that the design is less than optimal. I really wish filters I setup were used before Spamcop's spam filters are utilized. Also thank you for telling me about deselecting the "stop checking..." feature. I assumed it worked like most popular mail programs (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, etc...) and only apply to a single message.

turetzsr: I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and for linking to that notice. I had yet to see anything pointing to official contact until your message; and I made a good effort looking in order to not setup an account here. Granted I was looking on the Spamcop web pages and not the forum pages, and am disappointed that I had to go to the forum system to receive an e-mail and/or phone number for support.

Overall, I'm surprised that this is the standard Spamcop process and that the issue is not my account. My valid, easily filtered, e-mail messages being placed into the held mail folder is aggravating. I feel that in order not repeatedly keep checking my held mail for non-spam that I (the user) should be able to control whether a message is marked as "spam" before the generalized system does so.

(I'm also pleasantly surprised at the quick and insightful help I received. Thank you!)

turetzsr:  I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and for linking to that notice.  I had yet to see anything pointing to official contact until your message; and I made a good effort looking in order to not setup an account here.  Granted I was looking on the Spamcop web pages and not the forum pages, and am disappointed that I had to go to the forum system to receive an e-mail and/or phone number for support.

In all fairness, thus far the majority of this Forum has been open for reading for any and all. There is a search function built into the application and I also popped in a Google search function at the top of the screen to try to get around the limitations of the built-in search. In truth, the vast majority of folks going through the Registration process actually never post anything.

(I'm also pleasantly surprised at the quick and insightful help I received.  Thank you!)

40139[/snapback]

Thankfully, there are a number of folks here willing to offer up their insight and knowledge on things. Appreciate you coming back and leaving some positive remarks. Thank you!

Archived