Webmail view

Miss Betsy

I have a webmail that is associated with a domain name run by iPowerweb. On my home computer sent emails and address book entries that I have entered on the work computer do not show. Incoming email is there.

I thought it was all part of the mess with the old hardware and new software that I had, but it is still continuing with the new home computer. It doesn't matter whether I use IE or Firefox to log in to the webmail.

I am just curious how that could happen.

Miss Betsy

Too hard to answer with so few clues. The e-mails more than likely are due to "leave on server" settings, but just a guess. Another possibility may be a setting along the lines of "only show new / unread" versus a "show all" setting ..... ????? The 'address book' entries may be covered under some kind of 'synchronize' action, but again .... data may not actually be held on the web-mail thing ...????

actual "webmail" being defined might help, domain/ISP may or may not be at issue, as this webmail may or may not be an ISP provided tool ... no way to check from what you've provided.

Too hard to answer with so few clues.  The e-mails more than likely are due to "leave on server" settings, but just a guess.  Another possibility may be a setting along the lines of "only show new / unread" versus a "show all" setting ..... ?????  The 'address book' entries may be covered under some kind of 'synchronize' action, but again .... data may not actually be held on the web-mail thing ...????

actual "webmail" being defined might help, domain/ISP may or may not be at issue, as this webmail may or may not be an ISP provided tool ... no way to check from what you've provided.

40609[/snapback]

Yes, I leave on server. The data is held on the web mail thing because when I access it from the work computer, everything is there: address book entries, sent mail. I do have it forwarded to another account which is popped by another account. However, I am not talking about the popped or forwarded version. It is the webmail that is accessed by the home computer and does not show new address book entries or all the sent email. (some are shown)

AFAIK, the webmail is provided by iPowerweb and has nothing to do with ISPs. I will have to make some more tests to see if other email accounts do the same thing, but I haven't noticed it on other accounts, but then I don't use address book on other accounts. The sent mail seems to be there. Something that is funny is that I can't find where I forwarded the email to another account. It still forwards, but I can't find a place to change it.

All the same preferences except autodelete trash which shouldn't make a difference since they are there on one computer. XP pro on the one at work; XP home on the one at home. I have XP home at my other work. I will check it out. [later. I can get the address book on the XP home at my other work.]

Miss Betsy

[now I have to go home again and check on the setting for the browser. I thought I had done that before and it didn't make a difference, but maybe not.]

It could be that your home computer's views of the webmail sent mail and address book are old - that is, they were cached for too long. Please try to override the caching by using Ctrl+F5 in your browser. If that works, please try adjusting your home web caching to check for new versions more often (it would help to know what browser you're using at home, and what (if any) other caching you might be using, like the caching imposed by "high speed dialup" providers like AOL, Juno, EarthLink, Netscape, and PeoplePC to help their customers achieve faster Internet performance).

It has something to do with Firefox settings at home. And also with IE settings at home because if I choose the IE setting, it doesn't work, but if I choose 'any browser' it does, but Firefox doesn't work at all. (though I could have sworn I tried that before and it didn't)

It is helpful to know about cached files though (that's not the problem this time, but it might be some other time).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Miss Betsy

How close are the instructions found at http://www.ipwhelp.com/view_tutorial.php?w=161&opt=all to your experience? Off now to see if there's a real product/support spot for vDeck webmail, but .... what are the other options available under "interface:" and which have you tried? Whar's the difference?

(thinking that here's yet another instance where VNC would sure be helpful)

http://vdeck.com/ ,... went through most of the Help, but saw nothing that went along with your query http://www.vdeck.com/help/

http://vdeck.com/contact.html seesm a bit odd, no phone number listed, but states 24/7/365 ...???? 'support e-mail" kicks you back to the above listed "help" page ....??? and gve to note that most of the desvription of this tool talks about the ease of modifying it, so whether they could / would talk about an ISP's implementation / install is yet another question.

There just might be an issue of the java scri_pt tools in use, but found no detals on this web site for that.

Archived