This spam gives Pegasus Mail problems

qjvgpuryy

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z881624203z5c...17adc4e7133a22z

Nothing about it looks unusual to me - what do other people think? (Are there other Pegasus Mail users here?) I can move it out of an IMAP folder, but not into one. The error message given is a very helpful

The IMAP server that manages this mailbox or folder has reported an error during the operation you have attempted to perform.

The operation cannot be completed.

and it takes forever doing it.

Nothing about it looks unusual to me - what do other people think? (Are there other Pegasus Mail users here?) I can move it out of an IMAP folder, but not into one. The error message given is a very helpful

and it takes forever doing it.

40663[/snapback]

I've been a Pegasus user for years. Back in the days when there was only DOS :blink:

Despite it's excellent set of functions I do find that Peg will hiccup with some badly formatted messages. The only answer I find for such messages is to delete them - if necessary by locating the particular message in a file manager or, in the case of IMAP, through a webmail interface and then just delete or process by that means.

That said, let me ask which version of Pegasus you are using. The latest version 4.31 might resolve the problem if you have not, yet, upgraded.

Andrew

Thank you for the replies.

I've been a Pegasus user for years.  Back in the days when there was only DOS  :blink:

40684[/snapback]

I remember those days. *grumpy old man* Every display was just letters in one color and we liked it! We loved it!

Despite it's excellent set of functions I do find that Peg will hiccup with some badly formatted messages.  The only answer I find for such messages is to delete them - if necessary by locating the particular message in a file manager or, in the case of IMAP, through a webmail interface and then just delete or process by that means.

That said, let me ask which version of Pegasus you are using.  The latest version 4.31 might resolve the problem if you have not, yet, upgraded.

40684[/snapback]

I didn't know they had an upgrade - I'm still using 4.21c. I thought at one point their site said something about not upgrading again - of course it doesn't say that now.

just a quick glance while slifing through all the new traffic ... start with the MME Boundary lines.  There may be more issues, but this is what first caught my eye.

40664[/snapback]

If the upgrade doesn't help, I'll send the e-mail in to them and point them to that.

I'd suggest just deleting this one troublesome message.  Provided you have no future problems then you can probably put it down to being just one of those things.

40700[/snapback]

It wasn't the first - I've had more than ten of them recently. Maybe some new spammer who doesn't know how to use the spamware? Anyway, now that I've updated I'll have to watch to see if any more come in.

I remember those days. *grumpy old man* Every display was just letters in one color and we liked it! We loved it!

40699[/snapback]

I don't know about you, but I had lots of different color displays once we got off the teletype (la120)...

black/white

black/green

black/amber

;)

It wasn't the first - I've had more than ten of them recently. Maybe some new spammer who doesn't know how to use the spamware? Anyway, now that I've updated I'll have to watch to see if any more come in.

40707[/snapback]

I know that awhile back there was a spate of junk the went around that used to cause Pegasus to lock up when the message was viewed. They conveninetly always had a header line which included the following: 'FCC: mailbox' on one of the lines.

I simply set a filter to automatically delete these messages and have since not had any problems.

Is there anything unique that you could use to identify these problem messages?

Andrew

I don't know about you, but I had lots of different color displays once we got off the teletype (la120)...

black/white

black/green

black/amber

40711[/snapback]

Don't forget the card punching machines.

I wasn't counting black as a color - I'll have to change that to 'two-color displays'. I knew the other ones existed, but I worked mostly with black/green.

Remember the excitement when CGA came along? Or the Hercules graphics card?

Is there anything unique that you could use to identify these problem messages?

40714[/snapback]

There might have been. Unfortunately, they're long since deleted, and I haven't noticed the problem again since I upgraded. Still keeping an eye out, though.

... Remember the excitement when CGA came along? ...

40729[/snapback]

Our monitors were assembled in Elbonia, I think, from knock-off components - leading to things like degaussing circuits that failed at the first thunder storm (or maybe they just forgot to put the degaussing circuits in). Ah yes, the good old days. If only they hadn't discontinued the Curta calculator ...
... I haven't noticed the problem again since I upgraded. Still keeping an eye out, though.

40730[/snapback]

Thanks - appreciate you keeping us appraised.

Remember the excitement when CGA came along? Or the Hercules graphics card?

40729[/snapback]

Yes, I remember those days fondly. We've come a long way from the original 2-screw IBM PC 5150, with an Intel 8088 CPU, 16KB of soldered RAM, a 12" green monochrome monitor, a cassette port, and a 360KB 5.25" full-height (3" high) double-sided double-density floppy diskette drive (two drives if you were lucky). And then there were the original Compaq luggables (portable computers, you couldn't exactly call them laptops or notebooks because they were enormous and only ran on AC), as well as the sweet caramel odor and color of their power supplies when cooked just right. :)

Our monitors were assembled in Elbonia, I think, from knock-off components - leading to things like degaussing circuits that failed at the first thunder storm (or maybe they just forgot to put the degaussing circuits in).

40732[/snapback]

Could be too much green lightning ...

Ah yes, the good old days.  If only they hadn't discontinued the Curta calculator ...

40732[/snapback]

You can always use the Curta simulators available on this page.

:google: Google was also very helpful. (OMDG! how did anyone ever think of a calculator like that?!!? :o:excl: )

Thanks - appreciate you keeping us appraised.

40732[/snapback]

You're quite welcome. (Still no new spam with the original symptoms.)

Yes, I remember those days fondly.  We've come a long way from the original 2-screw IBM PC 5150, with an Intel 8088 CPU, 16KB of soldered RAM, a 12" green monochrome monitor, a cassette port, and a 360KB 5.25" full-height (3" high) double-sided double-density floppy diskette drive (two drives if you were lucky).  And then there were the original Compaq luggables (portable computers, you couldn't exactly call them laptops or notebooks because they were enormous and only ran on AC), as well as the sweet caramel odor and color of their power supplies when cooked just right. :)

40733[/snapback]

Been there (IBM), but not there (COMPAQ). (Caramel odor? Can you get the power supplies separately?)

I still wish I'd bought an Amiga © ...

Caramel odor? Can you get the power supplies separately?

40735[/snapback]

The caramel odor production (it smelled just like "flan", a Spanish caramel custard dessert, from our local Spanish restaurant) was during the meltdown phase between "perfectly functional" and "overheated, burnt out" when the insulation covering the wrapped wires was melting and turning color from white through dark yellow to brown. I don't know if those power supplies are still available separately, but I replaced and threw away lots of them in the late 1980's.

The caramel odor production (it smelled just like "flan", a Spanish caramel custard dessert, from our local Spanish restaurant) was during the meltdown phase between "perfectly functional" and "overheated, burnt out" when the insulation covering the wrapped wires was melting and turning color from white through dark yellow to brown.

40736[/snapback]

I like caramel odor, but not fire hazards (!). I guess I'll just get caramel food items instead.

...This kind of looks the same as the original - is it? ...

40738[/snapback]

Yes the structure is the same
Content-Type: multipart/related;

type="multipart/alternative";

and all the convoluted parts & boundaries below that.
... If the spam is like the original, this topic can be marked as resolved. ...

40738[/snapback]

Yep. Thanks for the update.

... I guess this isn't resolved after all.

40781[/snapback]

What a revolting turn of events. Structure is completely different, common factors include MIME headers / use of Content-Type: multipart/mixed; as well as Content-Type: multipart/alternative; and an embedded gif, both of which have caused issues with different applications in the past - MIME mishandling through display and processing errors, "malformed" gifs through excess resource leakage (going by a quick "Google").

The gif thing cropped up with Eudora some time ago, as mentioned in another topic some time ago - reference to the Eudora forums was http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=5251 - does that sound like what is happening with Pegasus too?

... there is no gif associated with this e-mail.

40804[/snapback]

Correcto, and the structure is a bit different insofar as missing the type="multipart/alternative"; in conjunction with type="multipart/alternative";. So, that sort of eliminates the "usual suspects", one or the other of which I was hopeful we could put in the frame. The time for wishful thinking has passed. Actual knowledge is needed. I suppose you've checked out http://www.pmail.com/support.htm ?

Not yet for this. I'll send it in to them and see what they say (if anything).

40886[/snapback]

You're more likely to get a response if you post in the comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows newsgroups on Usenet.

Andrew

Archived