Spamcop after virus / spyware attack

sroberts

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To start with it looks like a few things have changed

First you are posting from a new IP address (are you posting from the same computer using the same modem but bypassing the router?)

If so it looks like the modem has picked up a new IP address from your ISP.

The good thing is that the new IP address show NO email traffic (which is very good)

Did you ever check to see what devices were assigned IP addresses by your router?

The thing that is not so encouraging is that there has not been a significate decrease in traffic from the previous IP address (according to SenderBase)

as soon as i read that people had access to my machine i unplugged it and stripped it installed xp again and then got telewest to reset my service .. (thats prob how i got the new ip) so i didnt check anything after that.

the router has been on but with nothing plugged into it .. could that still send mails?

i have unplugged it now has that made a difference?

Steve

the only things i really need of the other drives are images .. i have a dead machine that i could put together with a burner and put them on cd .. do you think this would be safe?

but what i really need to do is get the router back online.

There is finally a noticable reduction in traffic from the original IP address that seems to relate to the time period that it was disconnected from the internet.

I assume that you have not plugged it back in yet? (I would not plug it back in at this time)

You still have not answered the question

You never did answer the question: Did you ever check to see what devices were assigned IP addresses by your router?

i didnt check....."as soon as i read that people had access to my machine i unplugged it and stripped it installed xp again and then got telewest to reset my service .. (thats prob how i got the new ip) so i didnt check anything after that."

i didnt check....."as soon as i read that people had access to my machine i unplugged it and stripped it installed xp again and then got telewest to reset my service .. (thats prob how i got the new ip) so i didnt check anything after that."

41278[/snapback]

Hopefully you have a firewall. Virus (with latest updates), and a SpyWare detector and remover

Just go through my signature

If you can afford it look for a hardware firewall as well as software one

With the passing of time, the original IP address now shows a 0.0 magnitude for the Last day and the new IP address continues to show 0.0 magnitude. So at least for the time being there is no traffic going out.

But we do not know if the wire-less router has been reconnected or not.

i have now reset the wireless router (according to belkin phone support) and reconnected the other pc..can someone tell me if everything is still ok?

41312[/snapback]

SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)

Just put in your IP and check yourself If you have removed the spyware and set-up a fire wall with latest Virus checker and latest Microsoft updates you should be OK

You can also do a "port/hacker Check" here This is a Symantec site

A secure password is also an answer/must check the freeware (for 20 passwords) in my signature use around 20 alphanumeric for password and store these on a USB device

Archived