Webmail down? imap works

Please PLEASE start posting webmail outage news on www.spamcop.net. That usually stays up when the webmail server is down (which it seems to be at the moment, 12:30 CDT Tuesday 4/18). Those of us who rely on the service would really like to be able to check in and see what is going on and when service might be restored.

42103[/snapback]

18 April '06 13:25

Merlyn,

Hate to tell you, but I can't access webmail....and I can get to all other portions of the site, just can't get to webmail.

bcstones

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please PLEASE start posting webmail outage news on www.spamcop.net. That usually stays up when the webmail server is down (which it seems to be at the moment, 12:30 CDT Tuesday 4/18). Those of us who rely on the service would really like to be able to check in and see what is going on and when service might be restored.

42103[/snapback]

webmail is provided by JT on hardware found on the east coast of the U.S. www.spamcop.net is run on systems found on the west coast of the U.S. owned and maintained by IronPort. The www.spamcop.net FAQ is held on systems that allegedly have shared access from both sides of the fence, but .... other issues there are involved ....

So the point it, making a change to the web-page at www.spamcop.net is under the direct control of Don, Deputies. IronPort staff. Why there is no notice posted, I can't answer. One can make the easy assumption that web-mail is not used by these folks.

On the other hand, the link provided on the www.spamcop.net web-page titled Email-account news is now showing an entry ..... a power outage at the datacenter ....

Merging this Topic into the one already started.

As of this posting, at least for me..

Mail for me up to 10:29 US Eastern, was popped into SPAMCOP....

Mail is still 'poppable' out of Spamcop.....

Webmail interface ons main pages is screwed up...

Not a 'plug', but the alternate webmail interface is use in situations like this is

the Secure page for mail2web   ...

42097[/snapback]

If it doesn't violate some sort of security setup, can you tell us how to do that (poppable or mail2web)? :)

From the webmail login page:

Apr 18, 2006

* [14:19 EDT] Earlier this morning, the data center we are hosted in had a major power failure which affected their normal backups systems. This means that most of our servers were powered down. Not everything came back up automatically, which means that mail has been delayed and logins have been difficult. We're monitoring it now, but it appears that everything is back up. Logins should be normal and delayed mail is flowing in. We apologize for the problem and will be investigating this with our data center to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Which would be about three hours ago, assuming you're talking EDT.

Sure, but since the mail server isn't responding to incoming connections, there won't be any mail to pop.

42101[/snapback]

I just tested by sending mail to my spamcop.net address, and checking it on mail2web, and it showed up in my SpamCop inbox within a couple of minutes.

So that part has been or is again working, and there will be mail to POP if folks are sending it to your SpamCop address.

I haven't been able to get in since about 0900 PDT.  IMAP works.

42110[/snapback]

Good news and bad news. The good news is all EXISTING messages are accessible via IMAP. Unfortunately, for my account no NEW messages are coming through. They are obviously getting POP-retrieved from my ISP but the new messages are not showing up in my IMAP inbox. This is very strange, IMHO.

I just sent a message from my gmail account to my spamcop address, and it never appeared in the inbox.

If you're seeing NEW mail on your account, maybe the problem isn't affecting all accounts equally...

Apr 18, 2006

* [14:19 EDT] Earlier this morning, the data center we are hosted in had a major power failure which affected their normal backups systems. This means that most of our servers were powered down. Not everything came back up automatically, which means that mail has been delayed and logins have been difficult. We're monitoring it now, but it appears that everything is back up. Logins should be normal and delayed mail is flowing in. We apologize for the problem and will be investigating this with our data center to make sure it doesn't happen again.

42114[/snapback]

Well, no, it is not possible to login to th eweb mail. How are you getting a login page, anyway? I just accessed webmail.spamcop.net and there was no submit button and no news.

I just posted this info to "spamcop.mail":

DT

42095[/snapback]

18 April '06 13:34 CDT

I can no longer even access the login page unless I completely go off net & then come back on.

I'm really a neophyte understanding less than half of what the ya'll have proposed or have tried to do. All I know is I can't access webmail by any means anymore.

What now?

bcstones

I just tested by sending mail to my spamcop.net address, and checking it on mail2web, and it showed up in my SpamCop inbox within a couple of minutes.

So that part has been or is again working, and there will be mail to POP if folks are sending it to your SpamCop address.

42115[/snapback]

I'm also receiving via POP now. The webmail interface still appears down though.

SnowDog

Logins should be normal

But they're NOT. When trying to login to the webmail system, it's still trying to push some stupid "redirect.php" at us, which is freaking out my browser (FireFox).

When I load "http://webmail.spamcop.net/" using IE, I'm not seeing the "Login" button or the outage info.

I guess I can call Marwan, and ask him to set JT straight about his misconception that things are working.

DT

Apr 18, 2006

42114[/snapback]

18 April '06 1339 CDT

As far as I can tell, webmail is unavailable, couldn't log in before, now can't even access the log in page....just a blank screen.

I don't know what else to do except sign off & hope ya'll get it sorted out in a few hours.

bcstones

When trying to login to the webmail system, it's still trying to push some stupid "redirect.php" at us, which is freaking out my browser (FireFox).

When I load "http://webmail.spamcop.net/" using IE, I'm not seeing the "Login" button or the outage info.

yes, Firefox shows nothing here. Safari has a very odd message "Safari can’t open the page “http://webmail.spamcop.net/” because it could not load any data from this location"

I guess I can call Marwan, and ask him to set JT straight about his misconception that things are working.

42120[/snapback]

Surely it will be obvious to them soon!

Surely it will be obvious to them soon!

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? But from past experience, I don't make those assumptions and try every route available to me in order to convince them that the sky is actually falling! (because according to that message on the loging page, they have a mistakenly rosy outlook at the moment)

DT

(because according to that message on the loging page, they have a mistakenly rosy outlook at the moment)

42124[/snapback]

Not to be too pedantic, but I haven't seen any message -- the webmail login page never appears. The Spamcop login page talks about some maintenance on Thursday... but as has been described, this comes from a different server, different coast, different world.... OK maybe that's going too far... :)

It looks like mail is being queued somewhere. I successfully sent some mail to my account, but it has not shown up in my Inbox (via POP3 - which is working).

Even if the system was restored back to normal operation, it could be several hours for mail to work its way through the queues and into the mailboxes.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

OK current conditions are;

ping OK

Traceroute OK

page load .... well, I eventually got one ...

04/18/06 13:12:20 Browsing http://webmail.spamcop.net/

Fetching http://webmail.spamcop.net/ ...

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: webmail.spamcop.net

Connection: close

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:12:22 GMT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<!-- IMP: Copyright 2001-2003, The Horde Project. IMP is under the GPL. -->

<!-- Horde Project: http://horde.org/ | IMP: http://horde.org/imp/ -->

<!-- GNU Public License: http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html -->

<html lang="en-US"><head>

<scri_pt language="java scri_pt" type="text/java scri_pt" src="/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx.php?file=enter_key_trap.js&app=horde&Horde=xxxx"></scri_pt>

<title>Mail :: Welcome to SpamCop</title>

However, most browsers would have timed out by the time this response arrived ....

Phone call made, message left, but ... noting the time of the announcement posted, it would appear that JT is already aware of it ... at this point, it may still be a matter of getting through the backlog and getting things re-synced ....

Even if the system was restored back to normal operation, it could be several hours for mail to work its way through the queues and into the mailboxes.

42127[/snapback]

Yes... surely the 150+ spam messages I usually get in the Held folder will be waiting for me when I return to the computer tomorrow...

In the past, such problems tend to resolve in a little time. It only takes a little patience. The login page still appears blank so I surmise that the mail backlog is being handled at the moment. When the server catches up, it will become available.

Usually it's the reporting side servers that are borked. This webmail problem is unusual.

Archived