AOL servers being blocked

jvm565

We use Symantec for SMTP Gateways and everything has been working OK for several years until 4/16 when certain AOL servers began getting blocked by the SpamCop list. I've had to remove the database for now in order for those servers to be allowed to send to us, but I know our incoming spam is going to increase significantly. When I tried to plug the IP addresses into the lookup page on SpamCop's website, they come up clean. Has anyone else noticed this problem in the last few days? Thanks!

Several hours gone by, no replies. One could start with the lack of any specific data offered in the query ..??? A definition for "remove the database" perhaps to rule out the possibility that you are trying to run a mirror ...??? Pick one or two of the problematic IP addresses and get specific. There may (or may not) be some history available, but .... guessing at which of the thousands of AOL's output servers are in question is certainly a put-off in just sliding over and looking stuff up.

"Remove the database" refers to removing it from the Symantec configuration so that it's no longer used to look up IPs of sending mail servers.

64.12.137.4-7

205.188.157.35-37

205.188.139.136-137

These are the IPs I had trouble with. I'll check with Symantec and post back if I get some additional news. Thanks.

I am having a similar problem with aol.  The aol mailserver address is  205.188.157.35, which does not show up in the spamcop database.

42334[/snapback]

Not now, no, it has aged off. Last two reports on 25/4.

I am having a similar problem with aol.  The aol mailserver address is  205.188.157.35, which does not show up in the spamcop database.

42334[/snapback]

Not now, no, it has aged off. Last two reports on 25/4.

42336[/snapback]

...Right, I think John is saying that although it shows in blcheck as "not listed," it is still getting flagged as a spam source by someone, somewhere.

...IIUC (take what follows with some skepticism :) <g>), there are at least three reasons this might happen:

• The reject message mistakenly listed the SpamCop BL as the source of the information when there was, in fact, some other cause
  • The system that rejected the message has not recently enough refreshed its cached version of the SpamCop BL
  • blcheck is not real-time and the IP address really is and should be on the BL

Archived