[Resolved] SpamCop Replies stopped 4/22/06

Rich

(Forum newbie! Sorry if I have made a goof.)

For a year or so I have been registered on 3 email accounts to report spam, hoping to cut down on mine and others. Periods occur with none, but lately it seems to have increased - maybe 2 or 3 per day on a couple of the accounts.

Normally, I forward them to SpamCop as attachments, and promptly get a "Report Them" type reply. ( [spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing)

That stopped on April 22. After I forward them, as always, I believe, I no longer get a "Report Them" type reply. Nothing at all.

I thought perhaps the SpamCop system was just down for a while. Then, maybe I hit some sort of numerical limit, perhaps? But, the accounts are NOT identical, or even close.

I am not aware of changing anything to cause this. My notes say that that day I tried to update some Service Packs to WordPerfect Office Suite 12, without success, and I used Norton GoBack to revert my hard drive to prior to the failed SPs. I have done this on many occasions (Go Back/Revert) without incident. So I am clueless as to why SpamCop reporting draws no response. Suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(Forum newbie!  Sorry if I have made a goof.)

42510[/snapback]

Hi, Rich,

...Well, not a really serious goof (in my opinion) -- you either didn't look at the SpamCop FAQ (see link near top of page, above) or didn't recognize the relevant link there as the likely answer to your question. :) <g>

<snip>

<snip>Normally, I forward them to SpamCop as attachments, and promptly get a "Report Them" type reply.  ( [spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing)

That stopped on April 22.  After I forward them, as always, I believe, I no longer get a "Report Them" type reply.  Nothing at all.

<snip>

42510[/snapback]

...Please have a look at SpamCop FAQ article "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?" and let us know whether that helps.

(Forum newbie!  Sorry if I have made a goof.)

For a year or so I have been registered on 3 email accounts to report spam,

My first thought ... you must be posting into the wrong Forum section ... SpamCop E-mail Account issues go into that Forum section. However, reading the rest of the post, you do seem to be talking about a Reporting issue. So the confusion now is the "registered on 3 email accounts" phrase. Technically, one only 'needs' one Reporting account.

Normally, I forward them to SpamCop as attachments, and promptly get a "Report Them" type reply.  ( [spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing)

Not indicated .... "forward" them 'from' where? Using what software/tools?

That stopped on April 22.  After I forward them, as always, I believe, I no longer get a "Report Them" type reply.  Nothing at all.

Looking at the Announcements section 'here' I don't see anything that ties to 4/22 and submitting by e-mail issues. On the other hand Jeff G. and I quit trying to track SpamCop.net Reporting System dips and outages a long time ago ... Not near enough detail in the monthly/yearly charts to see a small outage as far back as 4/22 (seen via link at top right of the Forum pages)

I thought perhaps the SpamCop system was just down for a while.  Then, maybe I hit some sort of numerical limit, perhaps?   But, the accounts are NOT identical, or even close.

I am not aware of changing anything to cause this.  My notes say that that day I tried to update some Service Packs to WordPerfect Office Suite 12, without success, and I used Norton GoBack to revert my hard drive to prior to the failed SPs.  I have done this on many occasions (Go Back/Revert) without incident.  So I am clueless as to why SpamCop reporting draws no response.  Suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

42510[/snapback]

Installing, reverting, etc. should only have an impact on things such as the tools in use (whuch you didn't identify) .. cookies .. bookmarks ... stuff like that ...

Bottom line, you need to start from the beginning .... can you actually log into the www.spamcop.net web-site? Your account (ype also not defined) may have been suspended, banned, or put on hold for some issue, such as bouncing .... Once that's ruled out, then the obvious .. assume it's been done, but ... check that the actual configuration of the "3 e-mail accounts" is actually correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help! You gave me the clues to go find that I was in the "Bounced" hold mode! Don't know why - maybe my ISP had a bad day....

For info - I have three different email accounts that are registered as spam Reporters. (One gets almost none.) I agonized over the solution steps info you referred to "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing." (Which I didn't/couldn't find on my own.) In trying to go through it, I got stuck early on at "submit the spam via the web site cut-and-paste method!"

I looked and looked at SpamCop.net, and all I could find was references to submitting as en email attachment. Which is what I do and what has always worked. Or used to, anyway.

Finally, I dug out my last registration info (February 2005) and logged in. Lo and behold, both of the accounts that get spam had a "bounce" message. So I clicked on resolve, and seem to be back in business, as one Confirmation has already been returned. So, thank you very much! I did check my webmail site from my ISP, and it had not "corralled" any SpamCop stuff, but I added SpamCop to my Trusted Senders list there anyway, just in case.

I had not "logged in" to SpamCop since Feb. 2005. It wasn't until I checked the third email account that I saw the window for use in the "web site cut-and-paste method!" The other two showed Bounce info instead. And the basic web site only refers to how to submit via email. So now I know where I was stuck, and where you were telling me to go to!

My email program is Pegasus Mail, and everything is fine there, and there is good info on it in the SpamCop info areas.

Thanks again. I am sorry to have been a bother. I hope I remember the details should SpamCop stop again!

Rich

Hi, Rich!

...No bother, glad to have been a help.

...Thank you for taking the time to come back and let us know that your problem is resolved. I am so marking this thread.

...If you forget, just come back and look for your posts (see link labeled "View Your Posts" near top of page)!

Archived