[Resolved] Untrusted server

Well, I am not sure that the problem has been fixed. I have been trying to register for SpaCop's new MailHost Configuration and the header of the last email from them showed the SpamCop IP address as being "untrusted". Now I can not get through the configuration.

This was originally posted into the Topic [Resolved] Comcast blocking Spamcop? which covered a timeframe of 20-26 March 2006. This had JT contacting Comcast and Don contacting Symantec/BrightMail about new servers that IronPort had placed on-line. The Topic starter came back and stated that the issue was resolved ... other users also talked about r-mail flowing again. So not sure as to how this factors in .. split this post out of that discussion, moved it to the MailHost COnfiguration Forum section (PM sent to advise of this action) ...

The MailHost Configuration (process) is hardly 'new' .... but I can't really grok what was said ....

the header of the last email from them showed the SpamCop IP address as being "untrusted"

Please define "them" .... what IP address is in question? .... I'm not sure I follow that "the header" would contain extra commentary like this, but without seeing what you're looking at ...???? Not enough data volunteered to even think about contacting the Deputies on your behalf .....

Sorry - it does sound vague now that message is in a different section.

I wrote "new" about the Mailhost Config since the SpamCop webpage about it said it was "new". (Don't know how long it has been there, I have been reporting spam in SpamCop through MailWasher for years now.)

"Them" is Comcast. Today I tried to process the two Comcast mailhost configs to SpamCop and both failed. The two emails from SpamCop Robot shows "Received: from spamcop.net (failure[204.15.82.21](untrusted sender)) "

I can not complete the configurations because the error email says:

"Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Headers mangled

It appears that the sample you provided has been altered. Often, extra

line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format. Part of

the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are

submitting spam in an error-free format. Please review the relevant FAQ

for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns

intact spam content to SpamCop."

I don't know what to do from here since I did it two ways -- the forward and the website copy exactly as I received it. I guess I will just continue using SpamCop as I always have. (I am back now to reporting after not receiving report link emails sometime after March 23.)

M

OK, I've done this .....

To: "Deputies"

Subject: MailHost - ComCast - untrusted SpamCop server

Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:47:12 -0500

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6307

Was posted into and references a previous Topic;

Resolved] Comcast blocking Spamcop?

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6107

which dealt with both JT and Don making contact with

Comcast and BrightMail about new servers put on-line.

This current query is dealing with an IP address in the same

ballpark as the original Topic .... not enough data provided to

go near the "error message" indicated, but .... as the IP block

seems to fall within the window ...?????  (and have to note

that the use of MailWasher is also in the mix)

User registered in the Forum with the e-mail address of;

xxxxx[at]yyyyy.zzz

I can not complete the configurations because the error email says:

"Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Headers mangled

That's the key. There were tabs and inappropriate line breaks in the headers. I was able to fix the headers and get the system to accept the configuration email.

That's usually caused by the way the headers are being extracted from the user's mail client.

I don't have any way of knowing the specifics in this case, but it's typically because the user is not going to the raw message source, or "forwarding" when he should be using "forward as attachment," or something that produces the headers as displayed by the mail client rather than getting the underlying raw source info.

Maybe these FAQs will help.

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/17.html

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Archived