Foreign Language support

TerryNZ

I have searched these forums on "foreign language" and found no answer, so here goes.

I note that Spamcop is sending off reports (based on my reported spam) to various abuse contacts. There are a high number going off to domains ending in .cn and .br - indicating China and Brazil. Of course there are many others for other countries . .

I understand that these countries are not necessarily the originators of the spam (US and European spammers' botnets and open relays). However, the abuse departments are the recipients of the Spamcop advisories. There is no law that states that the Chinese or Brazilian abuse department has to be English speaking.

Hence my question. Is the Spamcop architecture sufficiently savvy as to include multilingual messages, where the additional translations are triggered by the country ISO code of the destination?

It appears to be a fairly trivial one-time exercise to [a] prepare the local language translations and trigger the additional local language include in the advisory. Or maybe this is already done, and my brilliant suggestion is wasted wear and tear on my keycaps :unsure:

Actually it is the first time I have ever even thought about that issue.

You have a valid point.

I personally do not see much hope in that kind of change actually happening, but would agree that it is a concept worth considering.

A secondary issue which is easier to address, but suffers from the same basic problem; is foreign language support within the SpamCop Forum. This could be done fairly easily, BUT who is going to do it? It requires having someone that could be trusted to work at the moderator level that is fluent in English and a second language. At this time I do not know of anyone that meets that requirement. Any suggestions?

I have searched these forums on "foreign language" and found no answer, so here goes.

The art of a successful "search" is a long, long hill-climb. Yes, this has come up a number of times over the years in the newsgroups ....(search engine link provided at the top of this screen)

Some of the previous language discussions 'here' (I really have a lot of other things to be doing) ...

Is sending reports in English a waste?

Kornet, Chinanet, & CNC Group, Reporting spam not helping

Too many nit-picks

my mail system is blocked by scbl

You have a valid point.

I personally do not see much hope in that kind of change actually happening, but would agree that it is a concept worth considering.

Why is it so unlikely to occur?

Since most of the IP addresses on the block list are presuambly from non-US, and indeed non-English-speaking locations it seems an excellent idea to try to communicate in their own language.

How many standard messages are there? Half a dozen, I guess. To be translated into:

Traditional Chinese

Simplified Chinese

Spanish

Korean

Japanese

Russian

My guess is that would deal with 95% of listed IP addresses. Can anyone confirm? Have I underestimated central/eastern Europe?

A professional translation agency could deal with all those in a day or two for a cost of a few thousand dollars.

What's the problem?

You forget that the Brazilian are actually Portugese speakers... I also get quite a few Dutch, Romanian, French and Polish originating spam, not to mention Philipino and other exotic places... Some I handled manually in their mother tongue with some success.. But in most cases you have to go upstream to find a responsible and responsive ISP.

I am most anoyed when I do get replies or notices in a language I don't understand ...so I see your point. For the most part tough, the ITs/administrators are fluent enough in English, that is becoming the lingua franca of internet and business communication..

Why is it so unlikely to occur?

<snip>

A professional translation agency could deal with all those in a day or two for a cost of a few thousand dollars.

What's the problem?

...No one here can answer that question. Please refer to the announcement listed at the top of the Forum main page labeled "Announcement: How To Get Official SpamCop.Net Customer Support." Thanks!

...No one here can answer that question. Please refer to the announcement listed at the top of the Forum main page labeled "Announcement: How To Get Official SpamCop.Net Customer Support." Thanks!

My question was addressed to dbiel, a Spamcop moderator, who expressed the opinion that this type of foreign language support is unlikely. I was just asking him why he thought that - given how relatively trivial the work and expense involved would be.

My question was addressed to dbiel, a Spamcop moderator, who expressed the opinion that this type of foreign language support is unlikely. I was just asking him why he thought that - given how relatively trivial the work and expense involved would be.

Steve T (turetzsr) also a moderator, was speaking for all of us at the SpamCop forum. This is a user to user forum. Wazoo (forum Admin) as well as all of the moderators are simply users of SpamCop and have no ties to SpamCop or IronPort and receive no payment for our services (not even free email! we pay like anyone else if we want it, some like Wazoo do not have a SpamCop email account but still spends hours on end supporting the SpamCop Forums). We are unable to speak for the powers that be. But from our past experience will feel fairly confident in the opinion that there is little hope of it happening. We could be wrong, and would be very happy if we were wrong. We would encourage you to contact an official represenative if you so desire. See the link in my signature below. We wish you success, but we won't be holding our breath.

Archived