What is the value in reporting SPAM?

I have gone from a few spam emails per day to over 400 a day in less than 6 months. I report them to SpamCop and to the FTC but it just gets worse! If I report a single spam within 30 minutes I have 6 more from the same person and email address. If I report those when 30 minues I have 15-20 identifcal spams. The government doesn't care and neither do the ISPs!

I fail to see how this fits into the Forum section defined/described as;

SpamCop Email System & Accounts

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

Moving this to the Lounge area.

Never having had your scenario happen to me in all the years I've been complaining, one would have to suggest that there's more to the story. How you are handling your e-mail / spam, how you are reporting it .. if you were using Outlook Express, I might even suggest that you've got a screwed up file or two involved, but .. no data provided, no samples, no Tracking URLs, ... not sure what you really want .. thus I took it as a bit of rant, which is one of the things the Lounge area was setup for ....

I fail to see how this fits into the Forum section defined/described as;

SpamCop Email System & Accounts

A forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

Moving this to the Lounge area.

Never having had your scenario happen to me in all the years I've been complaining, one would have to suggest that there's more to the story. How you are handling your e-mail / spam, how you are reporting it .. if you were using Outlook Express, I might even suggest that you've got a screwed up file or two involved, but .. no data provided, no samples, no Tracking URLs, ... not sure what you really want .. thus I took it as a bit of rant, which is one of the things the Lounge area was setup for ....

Sorry, thought I had clicked on the lounge area when I posted...

It wasn't a rant as much as it was a statement that no-one gives a flying fig about spam.

It is now 2:27 PM where I am and I've been at my computer since 8:00 AM. I've received over 600 spams so far today. Almost all of them are in duplicate and are exactly the same as those I received yesterday. They are coming from the same ISP that I reported them to yesterday (via SpamCop) and I will receive even more of them tomorrow. 47 spams from 22 different people came from the same ISP (according to SpamCop).

Bottom line, the ISPs don't care... They just want to make money and it doesn't matter what the client is doing as long as they pay their bills on time! It's a waste of time and money reporting spam through SpamCop (or any other service). I've sent thousands directly to the UTC spam email and haven't heard a peep from them.

Reporting to spamcop without using the spamcop bl to block or tag spam is altruistic. It is only if you use the blocklist to filter your email that it is helpful. Your reporting does help those who use the blocklist.

Also, on occasion, you will report a spam to an ISP who does care and will immediately do something. Sometimes, it is an early warning sign to inexperienced server admins that something is wrong. When they come to the forum, others explain how to avoid blocklists. If they hadn't heard from spamcop, pretty soon their problem would have put them on other less aggressive blocklists that are harder to get off.

Since you are in a work environment, it probably isn't realistic for you to use the spamcop bl - unless, of course, you can convince the IT department to use it to tag spam.

Miss Betsy

Archived