ARG! Mail is blocked! HELP!

At least now we are finally getting some data (information) to begin to provide some sound support.

Next questions:

What is your primary method for connecting to the internet?

What is your primary email provider?

If all you want to do is have the From: address and reply to address show (see list below)

sales[at]b*wy.com

sales[at]j*hot.com

sales[at]je*.com

Sarina[at]sw*.com

sarina[at]cats*.com

Then all you need to do is set up those 5 accounts in outlook express using a valid email account name and associated SMTP server.

Check with who ever you want to use as your primary email server on who to set up these accounts to use their SMTP services. It may require authenticated log on, it may not.

Example, I have multiple email addresses with earthlink.net

I use disposable addresses like: Sarina.SpamCop.Forum[at]earthlink.net

I also have email accounts with Charter.com who happens to by my primary internet provider

I also have one privite domain name Hosted by Earthlink.

But the only SMTP server I use to send mail is Earthlinks. I have to sign on to the Earthlink server using a valid earthlink account and password (all done behind the scene base on how I have setup the account in Outlook Express) and that account does show up in the headers but the from and reply to addresses are what ever I want them to be.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... BTW: doesn't the following seem a bit strange for a "firewall" response string ????? ... when described as "not an e-mail server" .....????
More to the point, SenderBase volume (currently) magnitude 4.6 when the volume for the "real" mail server (63.227.167.31) is just 2.5 - also powell.directairnet.com is referred to almost as if a seperate entity -
... or anytime a powell customer gets a worm or virus your going to be banned, again for normal customers ...
AFAICT, the present line of research seems sure to produce a positive result for the OP but maybe the ISP/host should be given a bit of a slapping as well, for letting it be a wholesale worm/virus/spam host and particularly for being so blasé about it (still it spews). Seems to me that thing is a "firewall" like a Colt .45 is a fly swatter. [Added. Getting a bit OT perhaps but it's a bit like the "good customer - bad customer" seperate servers scenario, with mrsbwayne needing to get on the "good customer" server but at the same time no real excuse for the "bad customer" server being so badly out of control nor for the lack of help from the ISP/host in guiding her.]

.....but maybe the ISP/host should be given a bit of a slapping as well, for letting it be a wholesale worm/virus/spam host and particularly for being so blasé about it (still it spews
Very true. The blasé attitude about the firewall being blocked as opposed to doing something to setup the firewall so that it does not act as an open relay any SMTP services that are sitting behind it is being much to spam friendly. Though still some guessing involved, it would now appear that Sarina's main problem is her varrious mail accounts as setup in OE that are using incorrect SMTP servers.

So basicly what we are back to is another individual that has the mistaken idea that doing business on the internet is as simple as setting up a website and email account with absolutely no understanding of even the most basic of internet security issues and procedures for correctly setting up email accounts and then complaining that SpamCop is blocking their mail and hurting their business.

Its like giving the key to a expensive sports car to a 14 year old (or anyone for that matter - age is not the issue) that has never driven before and sending them off to run erands and then wondering why or how the car ended up in an accident.

I am sorry about blowing off steam, but here we are at over 100 posts and the OP still has not realized that she is the problem, not her ISP, not her website host. It is true that they have not help the matter. The real problem lies in the basic belief that all one has to do is plug in a computer, turn it on, make a few simple setting adjustments and you are ready to do business on the internet. It will alway lead to these kind of problems. Nobody should be connecting a computer to the internet without at least a basic understanding of internet security and proper computer configueration. And the advise we give here may fix the email blocking issues, but it does not even begin to address the far greater issue of securing the computer and protecting it from hackers and spammers who are more that willing to take advantage of the poorly informed who think they know what they are doing. Thats also one of the biggest problems with MySpace.com. inexperienced users who are not given the basic training in how to use the internet safely and end up as victims of those eager to take advantange of them resulting in (at the extreme) severe mental, physical abuse and/or death; and it is happening way too often. Time to get off my soap box.

I have 5 email accounts. Under 'servers' and outgoing mail for each account it says:

Acct 1: mail.b*wy.com <--- this one is a domain forwarded acct, hosted on acct 3 server.

Acct 2: mail.j*hot.com <---Also fowarded, hosted on acct 3 server.

Acct 3: mail.je*.com <---hosted with storefront.net

Acct 4: mail.sw*.com <---has own host, but same hosting acct as 5 - Blocked

Acct 5: mail.cats*.com <has own host, same hosting acct as 4. - Blocked - both hosted with ixwebhosting.com

I put stars in for privacy, not that some people couldn't find it anyway, I suppose... Accts 4 and 5 are the affected ones.

How do I set up outlook express with the domaindirect email, but still have all 5 emails look like they are coming from mail.myacct.com? I know first i have to get an email account from direct air.

The information on the General tab (Name, Organization, Email address, Reply-to address) for each account is where they will appear to be coming from. Only if someone looks at the headers will they realize you are using directairnet.com for your internet connection while sending those messages.

You can have each of those accounts have different information on the General tab, but they should all have mail.directairnet.com in the SMTP server entry because that is what you should be using to send out your email from your current ISP connection.

I know you have a lot of replies here suddenly. Everyone jumped on as soon as we started getting some information we could use. I hope some of it is helpful.

And to expand on Steve's comments; after you have completed setting up the accounts in Outlook Express; when you click on reply, or create a new message look at the name that appears in the From: field. If is not the one you want to use, then click on the drop down arrow on the far right side of that field and select the account name that you want to use.

Also send a test message to yourself from each of the accounts you have set up in OE to make sure that they are working correctly.

More to the point, SenderBase volume (currently) magnitude 4.6 when the volume for the "real" mail server (63.227.167.31) is just 2.5 - also powell.directairnet.com is referred to almost as if a seperate entity - AFAICT, the present line of research seems sure to produce a positive result for the OP but maybe the ISP/host should be given a bit of a slapping as well, for letting it be a wholesale worm/virus/spam host and particularly for being so blasé about it (still it spews). Seems to me that thing is a "firewall" like a Colt .45 is a fly swatter. [Added. Getting a bit OT perhaps but it's a bit like the "good customer - bad customer" seperate servers scenario, with mrsbwayne needing to get on the "good customer" server but at the same time no real excuse for the "bad customer" server being so badly out of control nor for the lack of help from the ISP/host in guiding her.]

I wanted to say that also, but wasn't sure that I understood whose 'firewall' it was. I almost said when I suggested that she use the web host who set up her email correctly, that 'Did she want to be using a service that sent spam?'

Miss Betsy

Very true. The blasé attitude about the firewall being blocked as opposed to doing something to setup the firewall so that it does not act as an open relay any SMTP services that are sitting behind it is being much to spam friendly. Though still some guessing involved, it would now appear that Sarina's main problem is her varrious mail accounts as setup in OE that are using incorrect SMTP servers.

So basicly what we are back to is another individual that has the mistaken idea that doing business on the internet is as simple as setting up a website and email account with absolutely no understanding of even the most basic of internet security issues and procedures for correctly setting up email accounts and then complaining that SpamCop is blocking their mail and hurting their business.

Its like giving the key to a expensive sports car to a 14 year old (or anyone for that matter - age is not the issue) that has never driven before and sending them off to run erands and then wondering why or how the car ended up in an accident.

I am sorry about blowing off steam, but here we are at over 100 posts and the OP still has not realized that she is the problem, not her ISP, not her website host. It is true that they have not help the matter. The real problem lies in the basic belief that all one has to do is plug in a computer, turn it on, make a few simple setting adjustments and you are ready to do business on the internet. It will alway lead to these kind of problems. Nobody should be connecting a computer to the internet without at least a basic understanding of internet security and proper computer configueration. And the advise we give here may fix the email blocking issues, but it does not even begin to address the far greater issue of securing the computer and protecting it from hackers and spammers who are more that willing to take advantage of the poorly informed who think they know what they are doing. Thats also one of the biggest problems with MySpace.com. inexperienced users who are not given the basic training in how to use the internet safely and end up as victims of those eager to take advantange of them resulting in (at the extreme) severe mental, physical abuse and/or death; and it is happening way too often. Time to get off my soap box.

I will get to the rest of the posts in a sec, or at least get the mail thing fixed when directair opens, but I wanted to respond to this.

Every 'email setup' directions I've ever seen says to set them up the way mine are set up now, with mail.mywebaccount.com for ingoing and outgoing. So it's not fair to say I don't know how to correctly set up a mail account when I've had at least 5 (more than 5 actually) mail hosts tell me to do it that way.

As far as the problem being me, my understanding thorugh all this is that it was the ISP. Then it wasn't the ISP, it was the host. Then a couple other things thrown in. That's what was so confusing. Now it's ME. Well, I haven't done anything new, it just recently stopped working. I have been using mail.sw*.com for YEARS, set up just the way it is now. It started on its own server, then I forwarded it for a while, then put it back to it's own server, on this new hosting company. THEN the problem started.

Also, if I need to change to directairnet for my email thing, why the heck are three of my accounts still working fine?

Sarina

Also, if I need to change to directairnet for my email thing, why the heck are three of my accounts still working fine?

Since we don't know your entire configuration, these are just a couple possible answers and speculation...

1. They are from different webhosts and the 3 working ones are setup proper or care about spam reports and do something about them.

2. They are all from the same webhost, but each domain is setup to use a different shared IP address and only the 2 broken ones have spammers/viruses behind them getting listed. When it happens to the others, those will be blocked also.

I will get to the rest of the posts in a sec, or at least get the mail thing fixed when directair opens, but I wanted to respond to this.
Well directair may not be the correct smtp to use. It is simply the ONLY vaild name that you have given us and it took almost 100 post to get even that. Steve was making an assumption based on the very little information you have provided and did a very good job of trying to keep it simple.

Do all 5 accounts have to use the same SMTP server - the answer is NO.

Since you do not care to post enought information for us to provide any real help. Then stop asking. WE are getting tired of guessing.

Every 'email setup' directions I've ever seen says to set them up the way mine are set up now, with mail.mywebaccount.com for ingoing and outgoing. So it's not fair to say I don't know how to correctly set up a mail account when I've had at least 5 (more than 5 actually) mail hosts tell me to do it that way.
Then you have not seen very many. and I stand by my statement that you do not understand what is going on.
As far as the problem being me, my understanding thorugh all this is that it was the ISP. Then it wasn't the ISP, it was the host. Then a couple other things thrown in. That's what was so confusing.
It was our best guess at the time with the lack of information provided by you.
Now it's ME. Well, I haven't done anything new, it just recently stopped working. I have been using mail.sw*.com for YEARS, set up just the way it is now. It started on its own server, then I forwarded it for a while, then put it back to it's own server, on this new hosting company. THEN the problem started.
Why do you not read what you just wrote, You havent done anything new. but you forwarded it for a while, then put it back on a new hosting company, THEN the problem started. that sounds new to me. A new hosting company means a new setup for anything that they are hosting which also appears (note a guess again, as no information is provided) to include the email services for that address.
You don't If they are working you do not need to change them. #4 & #5 are not working, they need to be changed to the CORRECT smtp server. Call that host and find out what it should be. Don't make the stupid assumption that it does not change. Ask and find out what it should be. And don't say nothing has changed and then list a series of changes.

Earthlink's smtp server is: smtpauth.earthlink.net not mail.earthlink.net. My incoming server is set to 127.0.0.1 (for a specific reason that I am not going to expain) and my domain hosted by earthlink uses smtpauth.earthlink.net not mail.mydomain.com (mail.mydomain.com will not work because that is the way Earthlink set it up. I have another account that the outgoing mail server is: PrePress_Web The point is there are many different ways that they can be set up. Mail.domainname.com may be the most common, but it is definately not the only way.

<snip>

The real problem lies in the basic belief that all one has to do is plug in a computer, turn it on, make a few simple setting adjustments and you are ready to do business on the internet. It will alway lead to these kind of problems. Nobody should be connecting a computer to the internet without at least a basic understanding of internet security and proper computer configueration.

<snip>

...Proper computer is configuration is, indeed, the responsibility of the computer (and/or network) administrator. The issue of internet security, however, is to be blamed principally on those against whom security is required -- the spammers, malware writers and "bad" hackers.

...Proper computer is configuration is, indeed, the responsibility of the computer (and/or network) administrator. The issue of internet security, however, is to be blamed principally on those against whom security is required -- the spammers, malware writers and "bad" hackers.
Very true, but when one is a single user working at home there is no administrator. It is self administered. If there was no crime one could leave their front door wide open or their key in the car with the window open and you would not have to worry about something bad happening. Not many places left in the world today where you can still do that; and definately not in the internet!!!

<snip>

Sarina

I think that my analogy about trying to use the same key for the door and the ignition is the answer. You got an answer from someone that the 'firewall' was the problem (the one that keeps sending all the spam that comes from computers infected with viruses and trojans and that whoever sent you that email doesn't care whether spam is being sent through it or not).

For whatever reason, the new hosting company uses a different system than the other ones you used and you have to 'point' your computer to their SMTP server (the kind that legitimately sends email) or use the directair email server.

You said it was 'el cheapo' at one point. And you probably know the saying that you get what you pay for.

Miss Betsy

Archived