A new kind of spam: Encouraging people to sent it to you!

Mariane

I received an email from someone I know, asking me to help

him get a free iPod (worth 230 US dollars).

A company http: //www. ge tit free. net has come up with a (new

to me) idea. Could be called "Chain spam", I suppose:

Promise people to give them free stuff if they register and

get 5 of their friends to register for them. To register you

must fill in a form and a survey.

They collect lists of valid email adresses, along with all the

data of the survey.

I've had a good look on the web, needless to say I didn't come

across any happy people who had received free stuff from getitfree.

This is a particularly vicious form of spam, because the sender

is actually someone you really know. And it can't be reported

here, because the person who sends this is just ignorant and

naive.

Mariane

Moderator Edit: URL broken to prevent search engine score boosting ...

whois -h whois.aitdomains.com get it free. net ...

Record Created on... 2004-10-15 19:30:45.238

Expire on................ 2006-10-15 06:05:27.452

Been around for a long, long time .. products change every now and then ...

... Promise people to give them free stuff if they register and get 5 of their friends to register for them. To register you must fill in a form and a survey. ...
Truly a revolting turn of events but driving off an old, tried and true, marketing approach - my own ISP is using something similar (they've overestimated new subscriptions, need to pick them up) and a top level sporting association I belong to has done it for years (high membership numbers = more political clout). Those are "legitimate" cases but evidently spammers use all the tricks too. And it's not all "progress" - there seems to be a resurgance of snail mail "419-type" advance fee scams - Spanish lottery is the one I am seeing, which is how it all started, a hundred years and more ago.

Incidentally, at 0.78 Euros a time for postage on those things it is clear that the notion of introducing "pay per message" to stop spam email is not supported by the evidence. Less but "better quality" spam, maybe. Can't say I would be particularly looking forward to that but then my former 200-300 spam per week has recently dropped to a "handful" or less (even getting the occasional spam-free day). For which result I have, unfortunately, done nothing in particular - I'm thinking ISP filtering "on my behalf".

Incidentally, at 0.78 Euros a time for postage on those things it is clear that the notion of introducing "pay per message" to stop spam email is not supported by the evidence. Less but "better quality" spam, maybe.

Not 'better quality' - just the ones that make enough money for the spammer/scammer to pay for the postage.

I think someone told me that the reason that 419 scams make it through the filters is because they are each done individually (thus not alerting the outgoing alarms). They also keep up on how to evade filters. There is enough money in the few who do respond to pay out more for sending.

Miss Betsy

Archived