EMail problem?

I just noticed this problem this morning... other posts in this thread indicate the problem was resolved for them several hours ago.

Probably coincidentally, my spam volume has been much higher than normal the last few days. Of course when I checked my mail this morning after 8 hours of sleep, I was suspicious of the complete lack of mail. It's still sitting on the external POP server....

I tried to send a message from webmail to my gmail account, and it has not yet arrived.

EDIT: In case it matters, my mail is getting POPed from a server on anc.net / arkansas.net

Well, now the mail is left on server at Yahoo! again, with all those downloading errors. What gives?

6h with no mail now. I've tried removing and re-adding my external POP3 servers, to see if that would help, but they all come back with "Unknown error 8".

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be done to sort out this problem, please?

I did raise the issue when it was first reported and got the following note from JeffT:

Date sent: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:49:48 -0400

Subject: Re: Email issues popping mail from external accounts

Sorry about that. We had an issue early this morning that was fixed

several hours ago and POP is working normally again.

Jeff

However, the issue, whilst being frustrating should not have been impossible. At least the mail which would normally have been gathered by the SpamCop mail account could be 'popped' directly. I simply enabled POP3 mail collection directly from my affected mailboxes and all was well.

There is a contact form for raising issues at http://mail.spamcop.net which worked for me without trouble.

Andrew

Your email to support[at] was the correct direction. THere is only 1 admin however, and sometimes he is caught in the computer room, not able to connect with the outside world (cell phone does not work in the "bunker" currently housing the webmail servers.

It does appear to be working through backlog. My test emails have been received and the few things at spamcop have also shown up.

Things do not appear to be fixed here. Not popping my USF or Roadrunner accounts, some which are the only two I have left on spamcop. The weird thing is it appeared to be working yesterday, when these problems were reported, and even as early this morning (according to the time stamp in some held spam) but as of this moment 43 errors each to previously working accounts. Errors message is "Unknown error 10" and "cannot contact server"

Which problem is this? Sorry - can't seem to see any other thread!

"Threads" are found in 'newsgroups' .. in this case, I merged your 'new' Topic into the existing 'Discussion' you started yesterday .. same issue, same problem, etc. ....

"Threads" are found in 'newsgroups' .. in this case, I merged your 'new' Topic into the existing 'Discussion' you started yesterday .. same issue, same problem, etc. ....

Thanks Wazoo - sorry, didn't mean to clutter the place up with new topics.

Has anyone had any reply from Jeff about this matter? It's been broken for a heck of a time now - at least 14h. I've had no reply to my e-mails to support. Anyone know what's going on?

Regards,

Chris

I guess I may be confuused...

What I am seeing today, for the second day in a row!, is no email being 'popped' from yahoo server, since just after midnight US Eastern.

I pop from pop.prodigy.yahoo.com

Error count is 6

Last error message was Cannot contact server

However just like yesterday, Yahoo mail can be accessed fine via their web interface and also via an indendant (3rd party) interface such as http://www.mail2web.com

Thanks Wazoo - sorry, didn't mean to clutter the place up with new topics.

No problem .. more of a judgement call on my part ... although words were last night that things were fixed, that it's being asked about again today here and in the newsgroups suggests that the "fix" wasn't sufficient/permanent ....

Has anyone had any reply from Jeff about this matter? It's been broken for a heck of a time now - at least 14h. I've had no reply to my e-mails to support. Anyone know what's going on?

Spent the night in the hospital at my Mother's bedside ... she was transferred to another hospital this morning, Dad amd another brother down there with her now .. so still playing catch-up here .... I just placed a call to JT, left a message, wishing him a happy Father's day, and ... oh by the way ... whatever was hosed yesterday is hosed again <g> ..... about all I can do ....

Spent the night in the hospital at my Mother's bedside ... she was transferred to another hospital this morning, Dad amd another brother down there with her now .. so still playing catch-up here .... I just placed a call to JT, left a message, wishing him a happy Father's day, and ... oh by the way ... whatever was hosed yesterday is hosed again <g> ..... about all I can do ....

Thanks - I very much appreciate it. Hope your Mother get well soon.

All the best,

Chris

I'm based in the UK, and (at the time of writing) have a 23-hour backlog of emails queued up in my public account and waiting for Spamcop to POP them through to the private account. Guess it's just one of those Internet traffic congestion things. Still a delighted user of Spamcop for lo these many years...

Cheers, Nick

I noticed that the "Reporting Server Status" graphic/link is not pulling up at present (top right of this screen) .... that data is hosted on one of JT's servers, so either he's on-site now and working the issues ....

(or .... things are getting worse <g>)

I'm based in the UK, and (at the time of writing) have a 23-hour backlog of emails queued up in my public account and waiting for Spamcop to POP them through to the private account.

Update: the logjam cleared up in the last three hours. All seems to be running smoothly now.

Cheers, Nick

I am just back, and yahoo is popping now too!!

Likewise. I received an e-mail from support saying that the problems were due to a faulty disk. A replacement should be in place by Monday evening, and until that happens, Jeff will "babysit" the system and make sure that if the POP collections stops again, it'll get re-started.

Regards,

Chris

Any word on the backlog? I am waiting on email (including tests I sent to myself from other accounts) to arrive.

I have received all of my tests...is it possible they bounced back because of the delay? It is of course also possible they are held somewhere, waiting to be delivered.

I have received all of my tests...is it possible they bounced back because of the delay? It is of course also possible they are held somewhere, waiting to be delivered.

I wonder "somewhere" is.... :blink:

I normally have my "public" email account forward all messages to my spamcop account and none from late yesterday and today (before I turned off forwarding to spamcop) have materialized (including the tests I sent yesterday).

Does anyone know of a way to recover these lost messages, wherever "somewhere" may be?

I wonder "somewhere" is.... :blink:

I normally have my "public" email account forward all messages to my spamcop account and none from late yesterday and today (before I turned off forwarding to spamcop) have materialized (including the tests I sent yesterday).

Does anyone know of a way to recover these lost messages, wherever "somewhere" may be?

No details provided here or in your PM .... so running with the only data I have available, have you asked the folks for help at;

ns3.pathlink.com reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

10 mx1.newsguy.com 129.250.171.46

another view on the possibilities; http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=itsme%40arvincasas.com

06/20/06 14:06:49 Slow traceroute arvincasas.com

Trace arvincasas.com failed, no such host

whois -h whois.godaddy.com arvincasas.com ...

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: ARVINCASAS.COM

Created on: 31-Aug-00

Expires on: 31-Aug-06

Last Updated on: 31-Aug-04

Administrative Contact:

Private, Registration ARVINCASAS.COM[at]domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Private, Registration ARVINCASAS.COM[at]domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.PATHLINK.COM

NS3.PATHLINK.COM

hmmmm ......

06/20/06 14:13:25 Browsing http://arvincasas.com/

No such server as arvincasas.com

06/20/06 14:14:11 Browsing http://www.arvincasas.com/

Fetching http://www.arvincasas.com/ ...

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: www.arvincasas.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:14:11 GMT

06/20/06 14:17:34 dns arvincasas.com

No DNS for this address

(host doesn't exist)

06/20/06 14:17:46 dns www.arvincasas.com

Canonical name: www.arvincasas.com

Addresses:

No details provided here or in your PM .... so running with the only data I have available, ......

...... another view on the possibilities; .......

Can you help me to understand what the info you posted in the forum means? Should I send all of this to my webhost?

First of all, you haven't provided any specifics on things like my "public" email account so tried to generate some facts based on data I do have access to. However, still have no idea if what I derived is at all pertinent.

Based on the failures to resolve arvincasas.com by several tools, and especially if this has anything to do with the e-mail address involved with your reporting / registered / whatever account, then yes, I would say you need to talk to someone. However, I have no idea who actually set up your DNS records, who maintains them, and the "Domain By Proxy" stuff is simply too much of a spammy haven concept for me to even want to try to work that stuff out.

There are entries in the SpamCop FAQ here that talk to missing / lost / etc. e-mails that include some troubleshooting procedures (admitting that these do mostly deal with spam e-mail submittals .. but the concepts and procedures would be the same) ....

Your last original question "where to go to start looking for the missing e-mail" was what I tried to do some research on, but ... as above, I have no idea if any of the data developed has anything to do with the e-mail in question. It was simply all I could pull together to try to offer some clues .... You're the only one with the specific data needed to go any where else or any further .....

Archived