do I need to configure mailhosts to report spam

I am not sure what the mailhosts system is all about. I tried reading the FAQs but they seem to miss out this point. May be it is too trivial to mention. My question is

I would like to report the spam that I receive in my gmail account. I use the web interface of gmail (ie no POP3 configuration etc.,). In order to report the spam I understand that there are two methods - (1) report it using spamcop's web interface, (2) report by forwarding the spam mail to my secret email address given by spamcop and confirming it later.

I am planning to use the second method. In order to do this, do I need to configure my mailhosts? or can I go ahead and report spam using method (2) without bothering about mailhosts configuration?

thanks

raju

I am not sure what the mailhosts system is all about. I tried reading the FAQs but they seem to miss out this point. May be it is too trivial to mention.

By registering YOUR email host/'s it ensures that SpamCop will not identify them as a spam source

1. this was posted posted into a How To Use Forum section, further titled and defined as;

SpamCop Reporting

How to Instructions Only - Problems and issues belong in the other specific Forum sections There are no iinstructions or tutorials offered in this post ... therefore it is being moved to another Forum section .. in this case the MailHost System Configuration Help section ....

2. "I tried reading the FAQs but they seem to miss out this point" doesn't really explain or define much. The 'original/official' FAQ was developed before the MailHost thing came into creation, the major additional page was the lead-in page to the Configuration process ... the single-page-access version of the SpamCop FAQ here was originally hacked together and did state that it did not include any material on the MailHost Configuration thing .... time went on, I tried to build one, esentially got no where, but what I started still exists (and is linked to from the single-page-access version 'here') ... data from that aborted attempt was recently used in the creation of a 'simple FAQ' entry here .... and this is not to overlook the Pinned entries in the MailHost Configuration Forum section from the man that put it into place, the Deputies that provide the detailed support for that part of the tool-set ....

A much more helpful comment would have been to identify just "which" FAQ and/or FAQ entry was the actual issue in your case.

One could also note that there are many existing Topics/Discussion in the MailHost Configuration Forum which include details on problems, applications, impacts, things gone wrong, etx .... I know for a fact that the "why and what" is a repeated comment string within a number of those 'discussions' .....

3. Interesting that you want to report your Google e-mail .. assumedly this would indicate that you've also not seen, read, or understood much of the massive Topic/Discussion

Gmail's server blocked

On the other hand, had you looked around a bit in the How to Use .. Reporting System (exactly where you posted this originally) you'd have stimbled across a How to entry titled; Submitting from Google's GMail .... Web-page paste and e-mail ...... was that of any value?

1. this was posted posted into a How To Use Forum section, further titled and defined as;

SpamCop Reporting

How to Instructions Only - Problems and issues belong in the other specific Forum sections There are no iinstructions or tutorials offered in this post ... therefore it is being moved to another Forum section .. in this case the MailHost System Configuration Help section ....

Sorry about that.

2. "I tried reading the FAQs but they seem to miss out this point" doesn't really explain or define much. The 'original/official' FAQ was developed before the MailHost thing came into creation, the major additional page was the lead-in page to the Configuration process ... the single-page-access version of the SpamCop FAQ here was originally hacked together and did state that it did not include any material on the MailHost Configuration thing .... time went on, I tried to build one, esentially got no where, but what I started still exists (and is linked to from the single-page-access version 'here') ... data from that aborted attempt was recently used in the creation of a 'simple FAQ' entry here .... and this is not to overlook the Pinned entries in the MailHost Configuration Forum section from the man that put it into place, the Deputies that provide the detailed support for that part of the tool-set ....

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I think you are trying to explain how documentation on mailhost configuration has evolved over time. That is interesting but does not answer my question.

A much more helpful comment would have been to identify just "which" FAQ and/or FAQ entry was the actual issue in your case.

To start with,

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4068

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=793

There were many other links which I read before I posted. None of them answer the question "Is it nessary to set up the mailhosts before reporting the spam through the email interface". Incidentally, your email also did not answer the question.

I hope someone just provides an yes/no answer instead of talking about history of mailhosts, rules and management of FAQ, which forum the post belongs to blah, blah blah ..... All those things are interesting for moderators of the forum but not for users.

raju

There were many other links which I read before I posted. None of them answer the question "Is it nessary to set up the mailhosts before reporting the spam through the email interface". Incidentally, your email also did not answer the question.

I hope someone just provides an yes/no answer instead of talking about history of mailhosts, rules and management of FAQ, which forum the post belongs to blah, blah blah ..... All those things are interesting for moderators of the forum but not for users.

The bst yes/no I can come up with...

No, configuring mailhosts is not required for submitting via email, but you will want to be extra careful reviewing where your reports are going because you could end up reporting your own hosts.

If you have already configured any mailhosts, however, then configuring any host you are trying to report spam from is required.

I strongly suggest anyone, especially people who do not care to learn how to read headers, go through the mailhost process. First it will help prevent reporting your own hosts. Second, it confirms you are submitting the messages correctly.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I think you are trying to explain how documentation on mailhost configuration has evolved over time. That is interesting but does not answer my question.

and is/may be still evolving. If you "need" an answer handed to you, at the time creation, it was proposed that "at some time in the future.... this would become mandatory" ....

If one starts making mistakes on the oversight of the Parsing & Reporting output and the results are that someone 'close' to you is complaining about about your reporting 'them' ... the first question is going to be "Have you configured your Reporting account vua the MailHost Configuration Process?"

If you want me to stand on the mountain top and proclaim that "you must do this now" .... that's not going to happen, end even if there was a glimmer of a chance, there'd be a ton-load of other dictums made before I got around to this one.

First, I sent no e-mail on this subject, to this user .... all traffic thus far has been posted into public Forum space.

Interesting to the Moderators to the extent that users' can't seem to find the answers they seek. The "history" you speak of was all meant to show you what facts are available "here" ....As above, when comes the time that it will be mandatory is unknown, how a user handles his/her part of the "responsible for the output" mode is an unknown, therefore when "that user should have done it" is unknown, and even if that user "did do it" but the ISP involved changed something that in turns requires yet another MailHost Configuration Process to be applied to that Reporting account is simply another unknown ....

Do you see a Yes/No decision block with a checkmark pre-placed anywhere in that morass?

The only "ultimatum" I'll offer is that once started, the MailHost Configuration process must be completed for all hosts involved with any spam to be reported in the future from that Reporting account.

Archived