"Spamcop encountered errors" - perhaps my fault?

I have one email address, regular gmail: let's call it myname[at]gmail.com. I have another, let's call it myname[at]mycompany.com

I have email set up so myname[at]mycompany.com is forwarded to myname[at]gmail.com

I (perhaps mistakenly) registered at spamcop with myname[at]mycompany.com, then went to the procedure for registering a heirarchy of email addrs. Spamcop went to send a test email to myname[at]gmail.com - I left all 5 smtp server names intact, received the email, went to copy the email back into the spamcop slot, and got "Spamcop encountered errors"

Have I messed up my account?

I have one email address, regular gmail: let's call it myname[at]gmail.com. I have another, let's call it myname[at]mycompany.com

OK< two e-mail addresses involved.

I have email set up so myname[at]mycompany.com is forwarded to myname[at]gmail.com

OK, two e-mail addresses involved.

I (perhaps mistakenly) registered at spamcop with myname[at]mycompany.com, then went to the procedure for registering a heirarchy of email addrs.

?????? "the procedure" ???? ...."heirarchy of email addrs" ...??????

and with all the data typed into this Forum thing that talks about "hosts, not addresses"

Spamcop went to send a test email to myname[at]gmail.com - I left all 5 smtp server names intact, received the email, went to copy the email back into the spamcop slot, and got "Spamcop encountered errors"

???? "5 smtp server names ..." ????? for "two e-mail addresses" ??????

Have I messed up my account?

there is the "registered Reporting Account" to whuch dialog and correspondance to/from the SpamCop.net system/staff occurs. What you are attempting to talk about is the "MailHost Configuration of that Reporting Account" .... your Reporting Account still exists, but as far as using it for actually reporting at this point would cause you some problems.

There is the attempted/aborted FAQ I started, there's a version done up to be 'simple' by Miss Betsy, there's the Pinned items in this Forum section that started the MailHost thing .... there is no one 'here' that can fill in the blanks, convert your "5 smtp servers" into only dealing with "two e-mail addresses", or even actually discuss your "encountered errors" message as there is noting 'here' to analyze ....

The easy way is to simply start over.

Assumption you are talking about MailHost. If that is not the case, ignore anything that follows.

Open up the reporting window and click on MailHosts.

Delete anything that shows up. (the delete option is near the bottom of the list)

Now click on "Add new hosts" and enter myname[at]gmail.com and enter gmail in the next box.

Complete the registration process for that one account before trying to add the second account.

If you receive an error message, follow the instructions contained in the message. If you can not understand the instructions, than post a copy of the entire error message.

But remember, you have to complete each account BEFORE starting to add the next account.

The easy way is to simply start over.

Assumption you are talking about MailHost. If that is not the case, ignore anything that follows.

Open up the reporting window and click on MailHosts.

Delete anything that shows up. (the delete option is near the bottom of the list)

Now click on "Add new hosts" and enter myname[at]gmail.com and enter gmail in the next box.

Complete the registration process for that one account before trying to add the second account.

If you receive an error message, follow the instructions contained in the message. If you can not understand the instructions, than post a copy of the entire error message.

But remember, you have to complete each account BEFORE starting to add the next account.

and with all the data typed into this Forum thing that talks about "hosts, not addresses"

Yes, the procedure whereby one defines email addresses through which email is forwarded, so that Spamcop may not gripe when I reply from the email address under which I originally registered.

Yes, when I went for "test email", Spamcop offered 5 server names for "test email". I had no idea which to choose...

there is the "registered Reporting Account" to whuch dialog and correspondance to/from the SpamCop.net

Yes, the procedure whereby one defines email addresses through which email is forwarded, so that Spamcop may not gripe when I reply from the email address under which I originally registered.

Yes, when I went for "test email", Spamcop offered 5 server names for "test email". I had no idea which to choose...

By "starting over" I guess you mean, delete current account, and do it right, from scratch. This I will do. I apologize for unclear or erroneous phrasing, and for perhaps wasteful, cluttering post here...Thanks, though, for your very kind assistance and patience.

This is your problem. You do NOT make a choice at this point, simply accept all of the them. This is the list of servers that your mail may be going through and which one is used at which time can be simply a matter of chance and/or location. If you were using and ISP like earthlink, the list could seem endless.

I apologize for unclear or erroneous phrasing, and for perhaps wasteful, cluttering post here...Thanks, though, for your very kind assistance and patience.

You are welcome (for dbiel)!

And I have added his answers to the Mailhost Short List FAQ so that the next person who has a problem will benefit - if, of course, they take time to look and read. You won't be the last person to ask these questions!

Miss Betsy

Archived