Seemingly new spammer trick

btech

What Wazoo is indicating here is that this is not a problem with the Spamcop parser. It is operating as it should. There are many threads here describing how link detection is only a secondary function of the system. As such, a reasonable effort is made at detection, but it aborts after a certain amount of difficulty, as it should. The spam is correctly reported to the responsible mailhost, so all is well.

You may manually run the 'actual' link through the webform for the parser, and can then manually report the link to the webhost if you so desire. Spamcop has no way of knowing which of those links is the 'real one', and at this point isn't expected to do so.

I understand that the parser is working properly.

What I was saying is that the spammer put in quite a few bogus links, possibly knowing that so many links would not let the parser detect their spamvertized site.

Just saying that this spammer might have caught that limitation and is exploiting it.

Just saying that this spammer might have caught that limitation and is exploiting it.
And now all his mates know about it too! :D But seriously the "too many links" type come and go - there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth the "first" time it cropped up, someone in SC increased the "limit" then increased it again, spammers increased links to match, many unconnected (innocent) links thrown in for nuisance value then it died down again. Now a "new" incarnation (see my sig).

Archived