[Resolved] Long long delay in spamcop forwarding email

I have been looking for an email for just short of an hour this evening. I am aware that spamcop does not process mail every second and normally this is not a problem, but I did think the normal delay was not more than 15 minutes.

As I write this I have been waiting some 50 minutes to see an email that was supposed to have been sent.

I don't understand why the system cannot be more responsive. Why not something like every 5 minutes maximum?

I have been looking for an email for just short of an hour this evening. I am aware that spamcop does not process mail every second and normally this is not a problem, but I did think the normal delay was not more than 15 minutes.

??? Stuff happens, things go wrong, etc., etc., etc. .... Having to note that this is the only 'complaint' today on this subject ....

As I write this I have been waiting some 50 minutes to see an email that was supposed to have been sent.

That "supposed to have been sent" sure allows a lot of variables to enter the equation .....

I don't understand why the system cannot be more responsive. Why not something like every 5 minutes maximum?

One of the first thoughts ... maybe that there are more than 5 or 6 users involved ..????

On the other hand, perhaps some more information mught help ...

is the account in question still being POP'd (or forwarding anything) ...???? have you performed any tests yourself to see if everything else is actually working?

Are you receiving any other e-mail?

Have you any "verification" that the e-mail was actually sent? Perhaps have it re-sent to another address.

Has e-mail ever come from that source before? i/e/, one of those ISPs that filter outgoing e-mail and drop them with no user norification (FAQ entry as it is not so rare)

??? Stuff happens, things go wrong, etc., etc., etc. .... Having to note that this is the only 'complaint' today on this subject ....
A couple of my emailed batches "evaporated" (again), the later at about the same time. But these would be totally different servers, I think? I'm not a SC email system user. Maybe the whole network has been below par.

I've been having the same problem sporadically for a while now.

A few days ago I would be sent mail (verified verbally) and not get it until 5 or 6 hours later.

Same with today.

On the other hand, some mail sent each day comes immediately.

Setup: mail is .forward'ed from another account, so there is no delay to pick up mail. Admittedly, there is a bit of mail in my box. I won't say how much, but there are some thousands of messages...

A few days ago I would be sent mail (verified verbally) and not get it until 5 or 6 hours later.

Same with today.

On the other hand, some mail sent each day comes immediately.

Any real discussion would have to center on seeing the data in the headers. You could do this yourself to analyze/document where the delays are existing. Not much else can be said without data being provided.

I'm looking at an e-mail that the sender 'promised' to send almost two months ago .. just arrived this morning .. and looking at the headers, she just wrote it this morning .. the actual delivery was almost immediate three seconds to travel a few thousand miles .... quite an amazing feat when one thinks back to the days of 300-baud modems and FIDO-net linked Bulletin Board Systems where it might take a week to make that distance .....

• 3 weeks later...
Any real disxussion would have to center on seeing the data in the headers. You could do this yourself to analyze/document where the delays are existing. Not much else can be said without data being provided.

Well, you were right.

When I took a look at the headers, it was getting held by the service doing my mail forwarding. When asked about the time lag, they said, "The server has a lot of mail to deliver. Rest assured -- all of your mail will be delivered. Eventually."

I have since setup my own mail server (and backup, of course), and mail is delivered within a minute or two.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

That "supposed to have been sent" sure allows a lot of variables to enter the equation .....

One of the first thoughts ... maybe that there are more than 5 or 6 users involved ..????

On the other hand, perhaps some more information mught help ...

is the account in question still being POP'd (or forwarding anything) ...???? have you performed any tests yourself to see if everything else is actually working?

Are you receiving any other e-mail?

Have you any "verification" that the e-mail was actually sent? Perhaps have it re-sent to another address.

Has e-mail ever come from that source before? i/e/, one of those ISPs that filter outgoing e-mail and drop them with no user norification (FAQ entry as it is not so rare)

:shrug: This was not sent so much as a complaint as a request for clarification. Sarcasm in the response is unnecessary.

Forwarding mail is automated I imagine. The total load over any given day is the same whether it is processed in batches evey 15 minutes or smaller ones every one minute, I imagine. In most scenarios the latter is a more efficient way to process data.

The delayed email that prompted the question was an automated registration message from a downloaded software package. Those are pretty consistently immediate, and in this case the task I was in the middle of became put on hold for nearly an hour as a result.

I can duplicate the delays simply enough by sending simultaneously to my unfiltered email and the spamcop filtered one. Usually the delay is not 50 minutes, but it is long enough that if I am in contact with someone who wants to send me something that we are talking about, I will give them my unfiltered email address to use.

One other point on this matter. I have set my forum profile to email notification, but I am here today because I received a notification of posting by tesseractive today. I received no notifications of the previous posts that I now see there, going back to the above one of August 16.

I thought nobody was interested in the issue.

Forwarding mail is automated I imagine. The total load over any given day is the same whether it is processed in batches evey 15 minutes or smaller ones every one minute, I imagine. In most scenarios the latter is a more efficient way to process data.

OK, let's start again. How are you getting your messages to spamcop? Are you having SpamCop POP those messages or do you have that account forward to your spamcop address?

POP will have a delay depending on how long it takes for the scri_pt to get back to your account. This will depend largely on the amount of messages each account needs to download. If there are 1000 accounts each with 100 messages, it will take a while (numbers are made up... no idea if there are 100 people or 10000 people using the feature). The last time I checked, the delay was about 15 minutes.

If you are having the filtered account forward to spamcop, have you looked at the headers to see where the delay is? On my forwarded accounts, I see delays in the seconds.

:shrug: This was not sent so much as a complaint as a request for clarification. Sarcasm in the response is unnecessary.

???? Your noted sarcasm was actually a string of facts known at the time, system analyst mode, (noting also the time passed of a dozen hours between the time of your first post and that first reply ... plenty of time for others to have jumped in here or the newsgroups with their complaints) ... questions asking for data to work with, which you still have yet to provide.

One other point on this matter. I have set my forum profile to email notification, but I am here today because I received a notification of posting by tesseractive today. I received no notifications of the previous posts that I now see there, going back to the above one of August 16.

I thought nobody was interested in the issue.

All your subscribed Topics are shown as "delayed"

Please see Useful ways to manage topics and posts

Archived